Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Kayekaye
    Reply to Photoshop CS6 - selection tool issue
    Kayekaye
    Is this square showing up when it is online or when it is in photoshop? I've had this happen on a website but never in ps....
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    Buda
    You call it a prank, I call it sabotage.
    Today, 02:33 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Help with a graphic technique
    Buda
    You can actually render clouds in Photoshop.

Filter > Render > Clouds

It's can be a good starting point to build your brushes over top of. Fiddle with the levels and the...
    Today, 02:24 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Setting up file for large banner
    PrintDriver
    4' x8' yeah sure, work at 150ppi. That's fine.
    But a 30' x 41' banner at 150ppi would be over 14.5 gigs flat! Your printer is gonna hate you! Actually he might laugh when you send in your hard drive...
    Today, 12:07 AM
  • Obsidian86
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    Obsidian86
    It's that time of year again, isn't it? Should have known by the traffic....
    Yesterday, 08:42 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illustrator CS3 gradient tool problem...

I think I started noticing this problem when I upgraded to CS3. When I have a shape and I use the gradient tool to add a gradient, it doesn't give me an even gradient. For example, if I have a white to black gradient. I drag across the shape, but the gradient isn't even. The majority of it will be white, with it transitioning to black quickly. Is this a bug, do I have a setting wrong? Thanks for any help

Are the colors in your gradient at close locations in the gradient sliders? If you have only 2 colors and you want the blend to extend the entire distance, are the colors at the 0% and 100% marks?

Comment

Originally posted by longboy View Post
      Are the colors in your gradient at close locations in the gradient sliders? If you have only 2 colors and you want the blend to extend the entire distance, are the colors at the 0% and 100% marks?

Yes, it looks fine on my gradient slider...

Comment

Select the gradient tool, click on your object, hold and drag. Release then.... Your not telling the gradient to gradate over a distance that is long enough.
        Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTheVike View Post
          I drag across the shape, but the gradient isn't even.
          I was kinda assuming he was dragging the gradient across the entire object by this statement. Hmmm...

Comment

You've probably moved the "location" sliders on your gradient swatch. Those are the sliders which define the blended weight of one color over another across a section of the gradient. The default location is 50%, so that there is an even blend from Color A to Color B (in this case, White to Black). Your location slider was probably shifted towards the black, so you have a long gradient from the white, ending in a short gradient to black.

Since Gradients in Illy are saved in swatches, this accidental change would have been saved into the swatch, and applied whenever you use your gradient tool, until you change or edit your gradient swatch.

To fix this, simply select your gradient swatch, and open up the Gradient Palette. You will see your black and white Color sliders on the bottom, and you will see a small location slider along the top of the bar. It should be directly in the middle of the two color sliders for an even gradient. You will no doubt find that it is nudged up close to the black Color Slider (or else the Black Color Slider is shifted in, and not at the end of the gradient bar).

You can click on the slider and type 50% in the location field if you want to define its location more precisely.
            Last edited by Ned; 10-01-2008, 09:14 PM.
            Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
            mediamainline.com
            cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

it looks like it might me a black and white gradient problem, its less noticeable when I use other colors. I actually remember having the problem in the past when creating opacity masks, and I couldn't get the black and white gradient to come out even. I attached an example showing the Illustrator gradient on the left, and the photoshop on the right. See how the photoshop one is more evenly spread out?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTheVike View Post
                it looks like it might me a black and white gradient problem, its less noticeable when I use other colors. I actually remember having the problem in the past when creating opacity masks, and I couldn't get the black and white gradient to come out even. I attached an example showing the Illustrator gradient on the left, and the photoshop on the right. See how the photoshop one is more evenly spread out?
                Yup, that definitely looks like your "Location" slider is off. Did you check that out?
                Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                mediamainline.com
                cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X