Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Can anyone help identifying this script typeface?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Eann and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:00 PM
  • Pat Angelo
    Reply to Laptop Bags
    Pat Angelo
    Yeah,go to shop and choose a suitable.
    Today, 01:32 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Christmas cards
    PrintDriver
    Yeah, it's too bad new designers don't know them.
    I had a couple sub-vendor printers go completely offline for two weeks in November due to a Christmas crush. They didn't take any new orders for...
    Today, 01:07 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Christmas cards
    PrintDriver
    You shouldn't be looking on google images... at least not without expecting to pursue permission to use the images. Google images is NOT a stock site, though some stock shows up in it.

There...
    Today, 01:01 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    PrintDriver
    Very strange. You want someone to tell you how to set up a site so YOU will benefit?
    The Graphic Design part sounds like it will be very important to the success of your site.
    How much money...
    Today, 12:54 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe can darn well afford to run ads over there>>>
    Or at the top of the forum.
    There is a no advertising policy here.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
      Adobe can darn well afford to run ads over there>>>
      Or at the top of the forum.
      There is a no advertising policy here.
      I apologize for breaking the no advertising policy. I thought some of the Forum members might be interested in this information but understand where you are coming from. In the future, I will refrain from posting this type of information. Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, Adobe 'updated' their website again and moved or removed a whole bunch of very useful stuff.
        If you find the link, please post it.
        thanks.

Comment

Installing on two computers

You can always install them on different computers is you want but, only 2 can be active. You can not install it on the same office for both computers that are active so 2 persons can work at the same time.

The original thought is to limit the software license to one person only.

Comment

It isn't a thought. one license, one person. The one license allows the one person to install on two computers, ie a work computer and a mobile one perhaps. Two people = two licenses.

Comment

Are students allowed access to the Adobe cloud with any kind of discount? It seems like this would be perfect for those in class as they have access to all Adobe applications. I've been lucky enough to get my hands on CS5 and haven't looked back. It always amazes me just how expensive this software is, but the cloud might be the way to go since you can pay from month to month and you have subscription type access to all Adobe apps.

I believe you can also download the software and have constant access to it even without a subscription, but I have yet to test this theory.

Also, I don't want to get all 1984 on you, but I'm pretty sure that Adobe is going to switch to a mandatory subscription based system eventually anyhow. Might as well get used to it? God I hope not.

Comment

Students get a huge discount on the Suites as it is. I think it's something like €250 for the Design standard.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Adobe is good, really good, but I don't know why people don't try the alternatives, I can't afford Adobe products, I use Gimp, not the same thing but very close unless you are professional and can't live without some very specific features.
                  We provide all kinds of quality Solo Cigars

Comment

Some people do try the alternatives. I used Corel for years, until a smallish NASA illustration job paid enough for me to grab the original CS (no number yet). Corel worked okay, and made it very easy to do a lot of stuff. Now I use CS5 and like it better still, but I keep Corel around too just in case.

The GIMP is very cool but I never was able to get sufficiently into its coolest stuff (*-fu) to make it worthwhile. Great stuff if you can get along with it though.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterAdobe View Post
                      Are students allowed access to the Adobe cloud with any kind of discount?
                      I think the standard rate is around $50/month, and we (students) get to pay around $30/month.

Originally posted by MisterAdobe View Post
                      Also, I don't want to get all 1984 on you, but I'm pretty sure that Adobe is going to switch to a mandatory subscription based system eventually anyhow. Might as well get used to it? God I hope not.
                      It sure does seem that way. They really are pushing the whole cloud-base thing, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Davis View Post
                        Adobe is good, really good, but I don't know why people don't try the alternatives, I can't afford Adobe products, I use Gimp, not the same thing but very close unless you are professional and can't live without some very specific features.
                        gimp is very photoshopesque. It is a photo editor. It is not appropriate for design layout and you will have a difficult time handing it off to a printer. It wasn't until very recently that it was even able to handle a CMYK color space. I don't think it handles Pantone colors. And I'm not sure what it has for profiles. Sure you can send a flat tif. You get what you get.

Same goes for Xara. You won't find a lot of support for it. Fine for artwork as long as you know what you're doing with it, but not a lot of handoff support.

I've yet to play with inkscape. No idea what kind of compatibility issues it may have.

Adobe has some ways to go before they can get everyone to sign up for the cloud. Think of CS6 as one great big cage filled with all kinds of guinea pigs. Adobe is practicing on you. And so are the printers.
                        Last edited by PrintDriver; 05-21-2012, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                          Adobe has some ways to go before they can get everyone to sign up for the cloud. Think of CS6 as one great big cage filled with all kinds of guinea pigs. Adobe is practicing on you. And so are the printers.
                          Ehh...I'm not sold yet. I still have CS5 at home, and I'll probably upgrade to CS6 instead of buying "the cloud". It'd be a bit cheaper for me to upgrade to CS6 design standard instead of getting the cloud license, unless I'd actually use the additional software. (As of now I wouldn't.) Plus I actually like the idea of owning my software and being free to use it how I want for as long as I want without a possible fee hike!

Comment

Link is opening fine at my end. So Thanks for sharing it.
                            I really enjoy the thread as it is full of informative and healthy discussion.
                            Am going to explore the PDF link now.Thanks all.

Comment

I got the Adobe Web Premium Suite for under $400 through my university. DW, PS, IL, FL, FW, etc, which is a fantastic deal.

You can't do any commercial work with this version of the software?

And realistically, if say someone else were to hypothetically do commercial work with these versions of the softwares after they graduate, how could anyone tell? Is this just an honor system thing lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Lions_fan View Post
                                I got the Adobe Web Premium Suite for under $400 through my university. DW, PS, IL, FL, FW, etc, which is a fantastic deal.

You can't do any commercial work with this version of the software?

And realistically, if say someone else were to hypothetically do commercial work with these versions of the softwares after they graduate, how could anyone tell? Is this just an honor system thing lol?
                                According to the Adobe forums, if you were qualified to purchase a student copy when you did (i.e., you really were a student), then you can use the software for commercial purposes after you graduate (in North America). See the thread here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/453900
                                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X