Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• subdrewgans
    Reply to Company name help!
    subdrewgans
    I've always been taught when naming a company or helping one name a company the first thing to do is think even in the spelling of the name how to differentiate yourself or make something unique. If you...
    Today, 07:34 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Company logo redesign - feedback
    <b>
    One of the main purposes of a logo is to establish a visual shortcut, of sorts, that becomes firmly associated and identified with an organization, like a business. It can take years for that link to...
    Today, 07:17 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Adobe Illustrator SVG Transparency/Knockout Problem
    kemingMatters
    If it works for you I suppose it does, but with more pieces you have a greater chance of something breaking. A file done the "hard way" will be a smaller file size and easier to manipulate in...
    Today, 07:14 PM
  • Staisman
    Reply to Please help with company logo
    Staisman
    Ok what you think about this one. I am not sure about color skim but let's not take it in consideration right now. What about logo itself?
    My last and first name starts with an "S". I...
    Today, 07:05 PM
  • Staisman
    Comment on Please help with company logo
    Staisman
    You are all too materialistic guys. I am a member of the many forums, and if a person come to the forum with a problem I would help him as I could. You have a problem I will give you a solution, I won't...
    Today, 07:01 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrobat - measure trim size?

In Adobe Acrobat Pro (and I think Reader also) if I hover my mouse in the bottom left corner of my pdf it gives me the physical dimensions of the pdf. Where I work, many pdfs come to us with trim, bleed and lots of white area in general. Is there any easy way to quickly find out the dimensions of the trim size?

My sales guys email the pdfs to me for me to measure using the measuring tool. Which is fine, but would be great if we could have the guys working out the trim sizes for themselves.

We can't ask clients, because clients lie. Or at least the person sending in the order, often isn't the person that created the artwork. So in those cases, we really need to know the trim size so that we are sure it matches the order.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

If you go to Document -> Crop Pages, you can select Art, Bleed, or Trim box, and under the preview window of the dialogue, it gives you the dimensions. Just make sure you hit Cancel rather than OK once you're done.

Comment

Do they have that option in Reader too?
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I don't think so, but I don't have Reader handy to check. I've got a feeling, though, that Reader is completely oblivious to concepts like bleed.

Comment

*Licks Hewligan's brain*

Thanks for that, Hewligan!
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Problem is, only the art department here have Pro and everyone else has Reader. It's not really worth getting Pro for everyone just so they can find out trim size. Cheaper just to get me to find out the trim size for them.

Thanks though. It makes it easy for me at least.

Comment

I'm sure there must actually be a better way. Art/Bleed/Trim boxes are a basic part of the PDF format, and so the information about them should be somewhere. That's just the best way I know of.

Comment

Hmm... I had a bit of a google, and apparently that or Pitstop are the ways to find out the size of the Cropbox. That's a bit naff.

Comment

Hewi is right, but if you do size to crop you can always go back as it doesn't erase what is beyond the page size.
                  Less be more.

Comment

Not sure how tech savvy the sales guys are, but you can often open a PDF in a text editing program, and do a find on "Trim", which will bring you to the trim dimensions in a PDF (generally towards the top of the file). I did a test, and it works with Text Edit on a Mac. I don't have Word installed here at home, but I'm guessing it work with Word as well. It shows it in points however, so they'd have to divide the points by (I'm guessing) in millimeters in your case.

That might be overly complicated for your sales guys to figure out though.
                    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

tell them to measure by holding a ruler up to the screen

(sorry - I'll leave now)
                      Want to know what a true friend is? One who walks in when the world walks out.

Comment

Well if you Crop it to the Trim Marks, it will do that. You can then save it and send it to whoever needs it that way.

When in Acrobat pro you can back to your Crop settings and reset it to whatever you want.

It doesn't Crop per se, it just hides information.

I'm not sure though if it is still hidden in Reader? It should be.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by doctorfoz View Post
                          tell them to measure by holding a ruler up to the screen

(sorry - I'll leave now)
                          They use this method already.

Really! So I've told them to email the file to me and I'll let them know the trim size.

Comment

Originally posted by budafist View Post
                            They use this method already.

Really! So I've told them to email the file to me and I'll let them know the trim size.
                            In that case, it's probably not worth trying to find a way for them to do it themselves.

In fact, have you considered taking away their computers entirely, and having them use crayons instead?

Comment

Originally posted by hewligan View Post
                              In that case, it's probably not worth trying to find a way for them to do it themselves.

In fact, have you considered taking away their computers entirely, and having them use crayons instead?
                              Maybe we can make Friday crayons only day.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X