Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• iyiyi
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    iyiyi
    The mac mini with 16gb is $700 new online. The monitor I want is a 27" at $250 (already have a 24" cinema display I would use a second monitor). The smallest, 21.5" imac with 16gb is $1500...so...
    Today, 02:13 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on My First Design Assignment.
    KitchWitch
    The forum is psychotically insane, Krazy. Lots of things don't work and some just don't work well. The best way to post an image (that I've found) is to upload it to an image hosting site (I use Photobucket),...
    Today, 02:02 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    seamas
    I really don't get minimalism here. I mean you don't have much going on, but instead of a minimal approach you tried to make it interesting --and it isn't working.

Minimalism is as much about...
    Today, 02:02 PM
  • Yehoshua
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    The project is a 50 minimalist-driven icons booklet of anything representative of the 1980's. I'm not able to upload the emblems at this time, but sometimes I struggle with layouts and was just wondering...
    Today, 01:40 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    Cosmo
    For the price of the Mac Mini and a new monitor, you're just about at the price of an iMac. I'd just get the iMac if it were me.
    Today, 01:37 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pixelated Images from Photoshop to InDesign

This is probably a dumb question with a simple answer, but any time I try to import or "place" an image into InDesign, it comes out pixelated. I know that scaling it isn't an issue since the images I am creating are made to fit the InDesign template exactly. This happens no matter what I do or what file format is.

Is there some other way of getting images into InDesign without the pixelation issue?
    "You can't say it sucks. That's my job." -design professor

InDesign only shows you a RGB Thumbnail preview generated by InDesign as placement for the image. If you want to change the quality of display go to View>Display Settings.

You won't get the same quality as you see in photoshop.

If you need to know what the image size is then go to Window>Info and select the image frame.

You will see two things - Actual PPI and Effective PPI.

Actuall PPI shows you what the original PPI of the image is. And Effective PPI shows you the PPI of the image after scaling.

So if you have a 72 PPI image and you place that at 24%:

Actual PPI will be 72 PPI

and the Effective PPI will be 300 PPI

It's the effective PPI you need to watch.

It is best to scale your images in Photoshop and place at them the size you need for printing at the desired PPI - InDesign can scale the image, but if you increase the PPI of the image it's likely that you'll need to sharpen the image.

I don't do the paragraph above; with the scaling to fit in InDesign, as far as I can tell the results are negligible - but doing the above is the correct way to do it, but I've never been able to tell the difference. The audience that I print towards couldn't tell the difference between a lo-res and hi-res image anyway, nevermind a sharpened image vs unsharpened. Perhaps on high-end printing with high LPI you could tell the difference; but I'll leave that decision up to you.
    Last edited by hank_scorpio; 01-19-2010, 07:57 AM.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
    Working...
    X