Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to Export a PDF of an Indesign file, but it's still too big!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

huh?

Comment

Hiya Drive

Welcome Aboard!

When you get settled please read this as well as these very important threads. They will give you all the info you need on how the forum runs, the rules and regs, and give you some background info on our long running, inside jokes

Comment

Originally posted by hank_scorpio View Post
        Yeh it's fairly image heavy.

There's an events section at the end with about 30 photos per edition. There's 10 articles with half page images, plus all the author photos (so between 20 - 25 images per article). There's about 10 Regular Feature articles, each with their own photo and author photos. Then 10 internal articles with the author photo and an accompanying article image. One of the articles has news from around the world and a flag for each countries news - so that's about another 20 images.

Looking at 28 files with about 120mb of data in the InDesign files.

103 images (roughly) @ 135mb.

That's not including the cover (3 supplied adverts, and front cover image)

All in all I finely tuned the PDF to be the smallest file size at just the right resolution for printing.

In saying that I got a 20mb PDF from a designer before for a 2 sided leaflet. I was not impressed lol.

Now I've got a concern. I did a 100 page booklet that ended up being a GB and I'm working on a business card that's got a file size of 60 mb (but I'm trying to flatten the contents and the file size jumped to 90mb) What did I miss in export/saving 101??

Comment

Hi UncleWally, this is an old thread but I will add to your question.

It sounds like your files are very bloated. A business card should not be 60mb.

What kind of linked images do you have in there? If it's possible, can you post an example of what a 60mb business card looks like?

I work in print and I would not be impressed with having to download a 60mb business card file. A 60mb catalogue file sure, but not for a business card file.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Sounds like imagery that is at too high resolution for size.
            See it all the time. 4" x 4" photo at 1200ppi is usually unnecessary...(unless scaling up to 24"x24")

Comment

Buda, Yeah… Sorry for commenting on an old thread. The main reason I did is to provide help others in my situation and I thought it would be a good place (despite the fact that it is old) to include it here.

I have attached the Business Card to this post, (changed some info on it cause I don't think my upper would like his info online )

I have flattened the background onto one image and the books on the right are 300dpi .png images.
              Attached Files

Comment

.png images aren't a print format.

300dpi at what size? If you took a book image that was 8wx10h at 300dpi and made it only 2" high, it is now 1500dpi.
                What size is the background image?

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                  .png images aren't a print format.

300dpi at what size? If you took a book image that was 8wx10h at 300dpi and made it only 2" high, it is now 1500dpi.
                  What size is the background image?

The books were 300dpi at 8.5 x 11. That makes a lot more sense when it gets re-sized that small for it to be 1500dpi. I went in and selected each individual book and went to object>Rasterize, selected CMYK, High (300 ppi) and transparent background. Did File-Save As over itself (this was suggested on different posts on GDF to remove the possible junk that can get saved) and the overall document size is now 3.4mb.

I'm not sure what the original background image size is, however it is a gradient mesh with circles at different opacities placed over it.

Forgive me on this next question, When you mention that .png isn't a print format, what file type would be good for print? The overall BC will be saved as a .pdf

Comment

When saving a PDF from Adobe Illustrator or Adobe InDesign in the PDF preset try to choose PDFX4-2008
                    this will reduce the file size drastically.

you're welcome

Comment

Welcome to the forum AJ4iQ! As you are a new member please take a few minutes and read though our rules and guidelines for new members. The following links should get you up to speed.

GDF Rules, FAQ, and Guidelines. and GDF Code of Conduct.

Note: You have not done anything wrong, we simply ask every new member to be familiar with the rules. First posts are moderated to prevent the forum being overcome with spam, so please don't post multiple times if they don't show up immediately. We are glad to have you!

Comment

Hello! We have a file exported to PDF and then edited in Illustrator. When we tried to export it again it became very huge! Is there a way to reduce the size of the edited file? Am I missing something? Thanks!

Comment

Hi Anastasiy and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

If the file wasn't created in illustrator and if it contains linked images you do not have access to, you really shouldn't be editing it in illustrator.

Comment

If you like I can pm you and you can email me the (PDF) and I'll see if I can reduce the file size for you..

Comment

This very long thread is well over a year old now. I'm sure the OP has either found a solution or been fired.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                                Working...
                                X