Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Trying to Export a PDF of an Indesign file, but it's still too big! Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PanToshi
    Reply to HI!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF George

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 03:13 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Typography resources.
    BillyLogan
    Thanks for sharing! I'v been looking for this on the web for hours for my next project and here it is!
    Today, 03:13 AM
  • georgemaharis1
    HI!
    georgemaharis1
    Just posted in printing and prepress. Hope to see it approved shortly!
    Today, 12:36 AM
  • georgemaharis1
    Register from a Gerber to a Roland or vice versa?
    georgemaharis1
    I need to be able to routinely prototype / make comps of self adhesive labels. This includes both clear and opaque. I have access to a ROLAND VS which does a VERY good job, but the metallics it can...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • desmiley1
    Reply to Illustrator won't let me highlight text?
    desmiley1
    Same here, new account...Thanks so much for posting this answer. The zombie post lives and has been re-awakened for 2014!
    Yesterday, 10:32 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Export a PDF of an Indesign file, but it's still too big!

We just made a big old catalog, and as far as exporting a PDF to send to the printer it's fine. However now we need a file we can email, and post on the web, even when I save the file as "smallest file size" it's still 8MB.

What can we do?
    I would hate to have to resize all the images to 72DPI then relink, because then we would have two catalogs to keep up with!

I do not have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Professional so I don't know if that offers what we need.

Thanks for your help!

Smallest file size will reduce the image sizes for you.

If there's a lot of vector images in it then it will be difficult to get the file size down.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Smallest file size with reducing down images to 72dpi, is still creating a 8MB, there is hardly any vector images. I'm thinking that we may need to use a third party application?

Comment

If you like I can pm you and you can email me the PDF and I'll see if I can reduce the file size for you.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Flatten the transparency.
          ~Sacramento Web Design~

Comment

Examining the PDF for hidden content can also help. I've seen client-supplied PDFs shrink by half or more once all the extraneous stuff is been removed.

For more info & screenshots see Cleaning up your PDF Documents

Digi
            The world is divided into people who think they are right.
            —Anonymous

Comment

Awesome, digi!
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

garricks, that's the kind of stuff you learn when you do lots of web work and a client asks you to put the 25MB PDF (of a 2-page newsletter they designed in Photoshop) on their web site.

Digi
                The world is divided into people who think they are right.
                —Anonymous

Comment

Once you have saved under smallest file size in Indesign, Open the pdf in Acrobat and use the reduce file size function.
                  It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I tweak the settings in smallest file size when I have to. For example, smallest file size defaults to downsizing images to 100 dpi if they're over 150. So if I need to, I change that to 72 instead of 100.

Another thing you can do, if this is for the web, oftentimes printing to a PDF at a reduced percentage, say 75%, will get you a decent screenviewing size and reduce quite a bit on the file size (obviously, this is largely dependent on the page size, etc. of the source document). If there's no intention of printing the PDF, just viewing it onscreen, you can often gain some filesize mileage out of that. You have to print to PDF though, scaling isn't available in the export function (and man do I wish that it was).

Digi, that link is awesome!
                    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

If you used any effects such as drop shadows transparencies and stuff like that it will make the file larger.
                      ~Sacramento Web Design~

Comment

Thanks from me! I needed this today for sure!

My file size was 15MB and I had to reduce it by nearly half. Or so they said. The web site said 8MB was the max...but it lied. They would really take 12.

Comment

maybe a mod can sticky this thread?
                          Those links from digi are invaluable in my opinion.
                          I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

You could print to postscript and distill. Set your settings in distiller such as compression values, convert all to RGB etc..
                            WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by Audentia View Post
                              maybe a mod can sticky this thread?
                              Those links from digi are invaluable in my opinion.
                              At the risk of embarrassing digi, IMHO every one of her posts is golden.
                              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X