Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Please Help Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

  • Cosmo
    Reply to Creative Suite and upgrading
    Cosmo
    We get files from all versions in all the time. Got an Illustrator 8 file the other day. Never had a problem updating them to CS6.
    Today, 08:52 PM
  • salsa
    Reply to Creative Suite and upgrading
    salsa
    I upgraded from CS2 to CS6 a year ago and haven't had any problems. I mostly use ID and AI though, so I can't speak to PS.

    Are you staying on the same computer? Getting a new one? That might...
    Today, 08:49 PM
  • Obsidian86
    Reply to Is there a member list here?
    Obsidian86
    SO WHAT. Sacrificing virgins is lame and not very impressive. People have been doing that for ages, even before Rosa Parks defended the Alamo at the battle of Stalingrad. Now bring some virgins back to...
    Today, 08:41 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Creative Suite and upgrading
    kemingMatters
    If you can find a copy of it. I would suggest upgrading to a version that Adobe still supports just incase you run into issues, that way you can call Adobe and they can kill a couple hours of your day...
    Today, 08:29 PM
  • garricks
    Comment on Creative Suite and upgrading
    garricks
    No. You must upgrade to either CS6 or Creative Cloud.

    You only get the "upgrade price" if you have a serial number for the version before. You're not eligible.

    You...
    Today, 08:25 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please Help

    Hi all,

    I have a small problem. I created a file in InDesign, exported it as a PDF, and sent it to a publisher for inclusion in a magazine.

    Unfortunately, when I received a copy of the magazine, my image looked terrible.

    I contacted the publisher, and they claim my file is wrong.

    So I would like to get some other opinions.

    As far as I can tell the file I made is fine, it contains an image (transparent psd file) on a a black backround (Black 100%).

    Could someone let me know if I have created the file properly, or if I messed it up in InDesign or while exporting it?

    Here is my original file (i have cropped some bits off):
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4457768/original.pdf

    Here is a scan of what it looked like in the magazine:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4457768/endresultat.pdf

    Thank you very much in advance.

  • #2
    Well first of all tell us how this was created?

    It looks like the Original PDF has rasterised text, which means it's not active text that can be selected, so it's not vector, which would be a lot sharper.


    The original PDF looks to be very lo-resolution, what PDF settings were used to create the PDF?

    The scanned version you show us looks like it was printed a bit poorly - but there's not much that could be done to improve the image in print.


    Did you get a hi-res print from the printers? If so, how did they look?

    "May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
      Well first of all tell us how this was created?

      It looks like the Original PDF has rasterised text, which means it's not active text that can be selected, so it's not vector, which would be a lot sharper.


      The original PDF looks to be very lo-resolution, what PDF settings were used to create the PDF?

      The scanned version you show us looks like it was printed a bit poorly - but there's not much that could be done to improve the image in print.


      Did you get a hi-res print from the printers? If so, how did they look?
      Thanks for your feedback.

      The exlamation mark was made in photoshop, and as you state, the text layer was rasterized.

      The reason I went ahead with this image is because the ad size we were offered was rather small, something like 4 by 6 cm.

      I exported as a PDF X3 2002 (if i remember correctly).

      I checked all CMYK vaues before sending, and they were fine.

      What I notice in the scanned image is that this is not the black I have in the file, there is no way thats Black 100?

      Unfortunately I did not received a proof from them, and they never gave me feedback about the file.

      Comment


      • #4
        A friend mentioned that it appears they did not flatten the file properly. I was not able to ask what exactly my friend meant?

        Comment


        • #5
          Wondering if this would be the issue? http://indesignsecrets.com/eliminati...x-syndrome.php

          "May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
            Wondering if this would be the issue? http://indesignsecrets.com/eliminati...x-syndrome.php
            Thanks for the link. I turned on Overprint Preview in Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 and the file is still fine. Not at all as it looks in the scan.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm guessing you placed the image (rasterized text over a black background) in InDesign on top of another black background. Even if the cmyk values were identical in both files, they may not match when you print them. The best way to have done this ad was to create the text in Illustrator with NO background and then linked to it in your file, either above a separate black background, or made the color of your box with the illustration the desired black and extended the frame to fit the whole document. That way you're not pulling two blacks from two different files.
              ___________
              Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

              blog/portfolio

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                I'm guessing you placed the image (rasterized text over a black background) in InDesign on top of another black background. Even if the cmyk values were identical in both files, they may not match when you print them. The best way to have done this ad was to create the text in Illustrator with NO background and then linked to it in your file, either above a separate black background, or made the color of your box with the illustration the desired black and extended the frame to fit the whole document. That way you're not pulling two blacks from two different files.
                My rasterized image did not have a background. It was transparent. I pulled it into InDesign as a transparent psd file.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ah. Then I'm not sure. Though it sounds like transparency is the culprit in some way shape or form.
                  ___________
                  Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

                  blog/portfolio

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Even it loks fine with Overprint Preview on - it may still have a discoloured box in print - check your PDF overprint preview in Acrobat Pro.

                    Check out this similar issue here http://indesignsecrets.com/eliminati...box-effect.php

                    "May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I really think they messed it up on the printers end. I have been going through all the creation steps to see if I made a mistake, but I can't fine one.

                      And I have created many ads in a same or similar manner without problems. (Usually I use vector images, but int this case we did not have this imager as a vector).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
                        Even it loks fine with Overprint Preview on - it may still have a discoloured box in print - check your PDF overprint preview in Acrobat Pro.

                        Check out this similar issue here http://indesignsecrets.com/eliminati...box-effect.php
                        I did check my overprint preview in acrobat and all was fine. I will read through your link.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just read the very informative article. But it only affects spot colours, or spot colours in combination with process colours. In my case I am only using process colours, so none of this should be an issue.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I can't see anything wrong with your pdf. It all looks good.

                            "May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If you open the PDF in Acrobat and go to Print Production -> Output Preview

                              You can use your cursor to see what the values of colour are.
                              In looking at yours, everything seems fine in the white and top section.
                              But with the bottom blue text things start to go funny... the white text at the top of it is picking up colour, as well as the blue is very inconsistent. It's a bit odd, but it's there.

                              Definitely the solution that Virgo suggests is the way to go on these.
                              I have had nothing but trouble with matching colours from Photoshop to InDesign. It's a nightmare.

                              That said... that is awful that they didn't let you know there was a problem with the file. We ALWAYS go back to clients, even when it's a huge pain.
                              I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

                              Comment

                               
                              home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X