Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jagged edges photoshop

Hello GDF

I'm doing a project where I was given a hand drawn illustration of a cartoon type character, scanned. I brought it into PS, filled appropriate colors mostly with wand tool cleaned it up best I could. Looks good - from a distance!

I placed it into Illustrator and edges are jagged. If this were text it would be an easy fix - just do text in vector.

Is this a feathering issue in PS? I did no feathering on this. Turn into transparent gif. res is 300 dpi and its cmyk for print.

looks ok as part of logo but it will also be repeated character for book. Must be clean.

suggestions please... thanks

I will usually ask clients to bring me the original art so I can do the scan myself. Raster can be a biotch to work in.

My approach would have been to scan the art at a much higher dpi, THEN take it to illy, THEN trace and color it.

You will still have some clean up to do after tracing.
    "I love deadlines. I love the 'whooshing' sound they make when they go by." - Doug Adams
    LinkedIn

Comment

Originally posted by kat01 View Post
      Hello GDF
      I brought it into PS, filled appropriate colors mostly with wand tool
      The wand tool, at least in my experience, is pretty hit or miss. Either way you usually have a jagged outline, but for high contrast areas it does a passable job.

Turn into transparent gif. res is 300 dpi and its cmyk for print.
      Why a GIF? Gifs are made for the web they have a restricted color table and a high compression ratio. A tiff or even a jpeg would have been a better option than a gif. This is most likely part of your problem right here.

Keep in mind a raster image that's 300 DPI at 2x2in will be 150dpi at 4x4in, 75dpi at 8x8in, etc.

Must be clean.
      This method probably won't yield a clean result. If I were you, I would bring the scanned drawing into illustrator and retrace it as a vector in there. It'll be scalable and you'll be able to use it in any size you desire without a loss in quality or jagged edges.

Comment

I would also bring the scanned artwork into Illustrator to livetrace.

If it has been scanned at a fairly high res, it may take a long time to livetrace and you may end up with too many points. You may find yourself with too much detail. Experiement with saving several versions with different file sizes. I usually do different widths such as 800 pixels, 1200 pixels, 2000 pixels etc.

You may need to play with the settings and the size of the file to get desired results, but once it's vectorised, it's easy to colour and a breeze to rescale.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I avoid LiveTrace like the plague. Especially for logo work.
          If you can redraw using any of the other tools now available in Illustrator, it's probably faster than cleaning up Livetrace.
          Also, if this is going to be reproduced often and in different formats, the cleanest, most scalable thing you can make would be the best way to go. Do it right from the beginning.

Comment

GIF does only black or white transparency masking. That's why you're getting jaggies. Smooth transparency masking is supported in PSD, PDF, TIFF and (RGB) PNG.

If you're placing this into AI.... why are you using AI by the way? Why not InDesign? And what versions are we talking about here?

Oh, instead of the Magic Wand in PShop, try the Quick Selection Tool. It may look like it's picking up 'everything' but the secret is to switch back and forth between add and subtract with the Alt key. It's actually quite quick this way. Follow that up with 'Refine Edge' before creating the layer mask. Layer Mask? Yeah. always use a layer mask instead of just erasing the background material. Why tempt fate if you don't have to? Plus a mask gives you much more tweaking control. Once the selection is roughed out pretty well with Quick Select/Refine Edge, create the mask and examine the mask (Alt-click). Often it's just a matter of going in with Dodge/Burn along the edges for mids/highlight/shadows.

I mean, there's tons of masking techniques -- it's one of the most common task though, so it pays to really know the strength of weaknesses of all the different ways.

Comment

Logo, Bob. Nothing like a part of a logo built in Photoslop and plopped into Illustrator...

Comment

I don't think it's the GIFs fault. Using the magic wand to fill in areas ALWAYS leaves bad edges up close, especially on scanned lineart. To get rid of this you want to extend the color over the lineart a little. Have the color on its own layer set to multiply.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                  Logo, Bob. Nothing like a part of a logo built in Photoslop and plopped into Illustrator...
                  Guess I didn't read 'cartoon' as line logo. It's still a dominant cartooning style, but I think that these days, especially with graphic novels etc., the definition is much broader and for practical purposes, moving into general illustration.

As for including rasters (or raster effects) into logos -- same kind of definition things going on. No, I'm not happy with designers who incorporate raster-dependent elements in logos -- on the other hand, the fact is, as you, more than most know, more and more of us... do.

So... we learn to live with it.

I guess, by reading the original post, which mentioned the high-rez scan, that I assumed this was all about clean edge masking on a raster element. Clipping path or layer mask -- that sort of thing.

Comment

Vecto now can't cut out shapes to keep transparent

Thanks all. OK here' where I'm at. I need this to be transparent. Hence the gif. what other format will keep transparency to put on a a color background?

Later I did bring into Illustrator as paths. This did help.
                    I am working in CS here, yes just CS. I don't have trace option.

Now I have a new problem. There is a white area that still need to be with no fill or transparent. I can't seem to select it and cut with pathfinder.

I attached cartoon character. White area in between black lines and "beads" are enclosed selectable path alright, but I can't cut them out to reveal background or no fill. They just show black fill from the black surrounding.

I'm tempted to bring back into PS to select and cut but I know that will get me back to pixels...

Comment

FYI This art work was done by someone else and had to be converted from a ink line drawing.

Comment

Yeah, even the term 'ink-line drawing' can be a little fuzzy (think cross hatching, non-solid linework, etc.). But I presume you mean the 'classic' relatively classic, solid black outline, with colour filled comic style.

It'd be helpful if we could see it, but if it is as I guess, and you intend to be using it for anything larger than what you scanned it as, I would be tempted to go to the isolating the colour from the black line approach, and start with an Ai vector tracing, clean it up, and recolour.

But if it's just the edge you're worried about, just work on getting a smoothed (anti-aliased) edge in Pshop using a layer mask, save it as a layered PSD or TIFF and place that into Ai and things should look much better.

Comment

1. Scan B&W line art

2. Save As tiff

3. Image Mode: Greyscale, 300dpi

4. Clean up line art.

5. Image Mode: Bitmap, 50% Threshold, 600dpi

6. Save As tiff (so that you can go back to your greyscale version)

7. In Illustrator, create a new document with 2 layers at target art size.

8. In Layer 2, place your 1-bit TIFF.

9. In Layer 1, draw shapes for the solid color fills.

10. Save As EPS.

Now you have a placed 1bit, high resolution line art with fills that can be placed in your mechanical and adjusted as you like.

Never use GIF for printing again or all of us in pre-press will hate you and call you names like "Puffy-pants". =)
                          Seriously, read this.

Comment

What if there's no line art version available?

Plus, my other move for scanning for line is to scan greyscale at the scanner's highest optical setting (not the resampling setting in the scanner driver). But even if the scanner can only give you something low, let's say... 300 ppi -- you can get great results by upsampling that greyscale and USMing (hard) the results prior to going to bitmap.

And note that high-rez bitmap (1 bits) are great for easy high-quality printing, and PDF compression -- BUT, not so much for screen display if the software doesn't support anti-aliasing of these. A lot depends on where this job is going though.

Comment

@maynardsayswhat

agreed. I sure don't want to be call puffy-pants,

Yes if I did in ILL would not have as much transparency issues.

But how do I get a trans background with high res jpg or tif such as if I have a cutout masked photo?

trying to remember, like clipping paths to keep surrounding areas transparent?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X