Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• rickinsa
    Comment on 7pt. Font size is industry standard for body text?
    rickinsa
    It was more than just putting up with a less knowledgeable person. She wanted to control everything and do it all her way. Much of what she said is so over the top wrong that it just baffles me and tried...
    Today, 08:44 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Reply to Some interesting Graphic Design debate discussions?
    MichaelWied
    Cool idea! I'm actually working on a blog myself. Just some advice that was given to me by someone who studies journalism is to have a years worth of content ready. So if it's a weekly blog, have no less...
    Today, 04:41 AM
  • garricks
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    garricks
    I bought a Canoscan based on PrintDriver's recommendation, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It's a workhorse.
    Yesterday, 11:45 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    PrintDriver
    There aren't that many scanners to choose from any more. I use a Canoscan 8800 and I'd buy another Canoscan in a minute. Good machine.
    Yesterday, 11:39 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Client hasn't paid and is using my website!!
    Buda
    I would never hand over the work to an untrustworthy client without getting payment. You let this happen.

If you don't have a contract and deposit, take this as an expensive lesson to make...
    Yesterday, 09:35 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to tell the person doing the export what to do to avoid faceted curves. Still they don't listen so the reply email I send is two words:
    NO SPLINES!
    I usually get back a good file and an apology.

Hank, not everyone drinks the Adobe KoolAid. Just cuz "Adobe says" doesn't mean you can't, if your specific work flow requires it. We use CAD drawings in presentations as well and are always having to bring AutoCAD and Vecorworks drawings into something to change their format. Sometimes A-CAD is all we get for files to build everything from signs to studio scenery.

I shouldn't say I never open a print PDF in Illustrator. Emergencies being emergencies, you does what you gotta to get it done.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 04-16-2012, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Well - it's not something that Adobe supports, so if important files are messed up I guess it's their "official stance" on the subject.

I don't do it unless I have to.

All I can add is "be careful". Things that appear in autocad don't always appear in Illustrator.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Adobe is really a kind of mud structure from the first nations in the American southwest am I wrong?

So Adobe a mud type of building material...

Adobe software products and their client appreciation is "Clear as Mud"
        "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
        Aesop

Comment

Adobe sayz, "Use software at own risk, not liable for anything that may screw up your production or equipment, not liable for loss of business due to program inability to perform."
          I think you should delete it from your computer.

I'm kinda used to using things for non-standard purposes. For what we use it for regarding CAD drawings, it works. Most of the time. When it doesn't it just requires a little more interactivity with the drafting staff. Last week we had a drawing go back and forth 4 times because we were also trying to interface a CNC .tap file with the graphic and the AutoCAD drawing. The final cut had to go on a live graphic panel with a 4 week production lead time if you screw it up. You got one shot.

Fun times.

Comment

Ah you're giving Adobe an unfair bashing here. Why should they support opening PDFs created from 3rd party software? PDFs are final files not intended for editing, and a lot of non-adobe PDF creators are inferior to Adobe's PDF generator.

Why not harp on about Autocad not supporting good enough support for export directly to Illustrator???

Comment

Portable Document Format Adobe "invented " it for a reason. PDF's the answer to file inter-compatability across all Operating Systems, Hardware Platforms and Software. So sayeth Adobe!
              Aesop

Comment

Or perhaps the OS, Hardware, Software etc. didn't adhere to the PDF standards required to open the PDFs accurately?

Comment

I'm not the one suggesting there is an issue with opening an AutoCAD pdf in Illustrator.
                  Just this minute got done with one came from a .tap, to autoCad to Illustrator to the Graphic Designer for graphics layout in InDesign. No big deal. Although it did come to me as splines. Again. Very apropos...
                  Hank, if you do it for a living day in and day out, it's a non-issue.

There are a lot of things about Adobewares that could be done better. For instance Illustrator is actually supposed to support importing DXF and DWG files. I'm not complaining that their support sucks for AutoCad (which it does) anymore than you should complain that Autocad or any other program doesn't PDF correctly (which it will if, like all programs, you set the export parameters correctly).

In fact, just Illustrator alone has a lot of non-efficient algorithms in there that cause nothing but problems. But they sure do look purty.

Not sure what PAJ's issue is or if he's solved it. I hope so after all this.

Comment

Heres one fur ya > Save Autocad file PDF > Create new detail and edit illustrator > Saved as Auto DWG Import to Illustrator as Autocad PDF > Imported Illustrator DWG back into Autocad - Architect directives and markups - adjust elevation detail > Saves Autocad PDF and or OBJ / DWG object to > Blender & 3D Max - Modeling, properties and massing views edit > Render! Repeat...
                    Last edited by MikeHun; 04-16-2012, 09:45 PM.
                    Aesop

Comment

Ugh. Render. Yuck.
                      You win.
                      One of the guys up front has a pretty hefty machine reserved just for doing renders. More power to 'im.

Comment

Autocad work used in graphic design tend to give 'vector' a bad name.

Even if it's in something like a PDF.

We can ask for something as simple as a building map of the campus from our properties dept. and beg them to leave out all unnecessary detail. What we get STILL requires a day's work of editing down and removing miniscule detail, textures, etc. etc.

Of course, the Properties guy tends to give us that look of pity when we complain. Maybe it's because the workstation he has could eat all of ours for breakfast with memory, speed, and monitors that you could play ping pong on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                          Autocad work used in graphic design tend to give 'vector' a bad name.

Even if it's in something like a PDF.

We can ask for something as simple as a building map of the campus from our properties dept. and beg them to leave out all unnecessary detail. What we get STILL requires a day's work of editing down and removing miniscule detail, textures, etc. etc.

Of course, the Properties guy tends to give us that look of pity when we complain. Maybe it's because the workstation he has could eat all of ours for breakfast with memory, speed, and monitors that you could play ping pong on.
                          Insist to his director or if you have a Architect on staff to tell him to simplify the worklflow
                          he'll mack that technician do it

In fact it's nothing for the cad guys to take the hatching and fills out thy are just lazy slobs I made a point of contention on this in studio meeting they thought I was just a flaky GD but when they found out I had drafting experience boyo did they shut up.
                          Now they listen with respect.
                          Aesop

Comment

You used the 'R' word in the context of in-house corporate graphic design services Mike.

You're (now) old enough to know better!

Comment

I ended up obtaining the map file as a JPG. We tried several rounds of files with the map suppliers without much luck, and the deadline was looming!

The JPG ended up being 144 megapixels or something, but the street names were *mostly* legible. Was tearing my hair out for a while though.

Client was happy with it, so I guess that's all that matters!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X