X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making websites

before I ask this, i want to clarify that yes i understand its better to know code instead of relying fully on the software to create websites. this is just an in general, out of curiosity question...

...now on to my question. I took a class last quarter that focused on creating websites, in the beginning of the course we created the sites in photoshop, then imported that into dreamweaver to do all the coding and such. However, later in the course, for our final project, we created a whole website mockup in InDesign, and it worked just the same as when we went the other route earlier in the course.

Yesterday in class (different class, different teacher) some of the students were talking to the teacher about their portfolio and we were on the subject of creating website (we have to have one for our portfolio) they mentioned using indesign to create the site and our teacher kind of cringed and said "eh..." we questioned her comment and she said she hasn't heard much of using indesign, that she has always known to use photoshop and dreamweaver.

So my question is, which is better to use? Using indesign seems simpler, because it seems everything is done right there in one app, whereas photoshop you have to import into dreamweaver. Is there a right and wrong app to use?

Ugh. InDesign writes some baaaad code. You don't want to do that.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

so does dreamweaver though... I'd sooner use a template than use html exported from PS or ID or html that is created by DW's WYSIWYGoat editor.
      Design is not decoration.

Comment

So another words, both apps are bad to use. lol.

But out of the two options, photoshop>dreamweaver is better?

Comment

If those were your only options, then yes. Just to clarify.... Dreamweaver writes code that works. It shouldn't give you any problem if you set up a page in Dreamweaver then publish it to the web. However, the code it writes is pretty bloated and not always easy to navigate.

You would be best off writing the code yourself or finding a template. There are actually some nice WordPress templates out there for portfolios that are easy to set up and easy to add stuff to. With those you really don't need to know much code at all. A lot of people scoff at WordPress, but for what you need, it may be exactly what you want to use.

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
            So another words, both apps are bad to use. lol.

But out of the two options, photoshop>dreamweaver is better?
            If you're slicing up a PS file, export the images only. Create a table in DW and insert your images, be sure to include alt text where necessary.
            Design is not decoration.

Comment

So what places would you recommend for getting templates?

Comment

www.themeforest.net has a bunch of good templates. Most of them seem to be reasonably priced. If you have the knowledge you can customize them to suit you as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
                  If those were your only options, then yes. Just to clarify.... Dreamweaver writes code that works. It shouldn't give you any problem if you set up a page in Dreamweaver then publish it to the web. However, the code it writes is pretty bloated and not always easy to navigate.
                  As of right now those are my only options. I plan on learning code eventually, but right now I have too much on my plate that I wouldnt be able to put the right amount of time into it to actually learn it properly. I'll check out those templates, I've never really been a fan of using templates for sites, i just feel too restricted, maybe its just me.

for now I think I'll work with ps and dw and do what I can, and try and learn a little bit of code here and there when I can. Eventually I would like to really sit down and take the time to really learn it though.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X