Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text effect disapears after outlined (illustrator)

Hello!

I really need your help. I have problem with text in adobe illustrator.

When I create outlines for text with this font http://www.dafont.com/tosca-zero.font all those grungy dots disapears, only few stays.. Any ideas how to fix this please?

free font problem, probably not properly constructed, try looking for and closing any unclosed shapes then select all and make a compound path.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Or just flatten the font. It's noisy enough that there wouldn't be much of a quality loss.

Comment

Great idea kemingMatters! I will take a loot at that now

I flattened the font and it really helps! Nothing disappears. Only question is can flattened font be printed? I mean I will use this for business cards and as I know fonts have to be expaned/outlined before that. So can I just flatten and print? without creating outlines or expanding?

Many thanks to both of you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by hasek89 View Post
          I mean I will use this for business cards and as I know fonts have to be expaned/outlined before that.
          Have you purchased a commercial license for this font? The EULA says

TOSCA ZERO
          for personal use only
          commercial licenses available
          Using it on a business card is commercial use.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

There should be no need to outline the font if you have a commercial license. It should be fully embedable in the PDF for print.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Oh garr, you know when you start talking about legalities...

poof! they're gone.

*muttering as I flip back to lolcat vids*
              Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Yes I have license, bought that long time ago.
                But this is first time I will use font for printing, so not quite sore how to do it correctly.
                I guess I will use .ai file for printing not pdf. so can I use flatten instead of expanding?

Comment

If you are using a font that is giving you issues, you should get a print check done on it. If you use something that doesn't always work, it will not work when you need it to most.

Grundge fonts are the worst possible free fonts to download. We get failure all the time with printing those things. Something to do with how the grunge pattern is created that isn't necessarily vector.

If you absolutely have to grunge a font, do so with some other method. Or get a quality font.

Comment

Originally posted by hasek89 View Post
                    Yes I have license, bought that long time ago.
                    But this is first time I will use font for printing, so not quite sore how to do it correctly.
                    I guess I will use .ai file for printing not pdf. so can I use flatten instead of expanding?
                    Flattening is just rasterizing the text, so it's basically a photo of the font. You can still print from PDF but you have to adjust your raster settings to print resolution.

Expanding the font to outlines will create a vector image of the font, if you handle it the way I outlined previously, when you want to use that logo (I'm guessing it's for a logo) on a large sign, or vinyl sticker you won't have to recreate it.
                    Last edited by kemingMatters; 05-16-2012, 05:18 PM.
                    Design is not decoration.

Comment

I'm betting if you blow that font up to sign size it's going to look like crap.
                      Most grunge fonts that do outline either do so as stepped bitmaps or with wonky livetrace-esque twists, loops and peaks. They are pretty horrible.

If it isn't outlining properly, it's not a properly drawn font and should NOT be used for any type of print production. There's plenty more where that came from.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X