Non-text letters in a circle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-text letters in a circle

I know how to make a sentence go around the inside/outside of a circle, but suppose the sentence is not a line of typed text, but rather a line of hand-calligraphed letters which have been scanned and vectorized? Another way of asking my question: how would you put a line of curves (letters) around a circle? To help visualize, it is for a flat, coin-like pendant which will have a quote going around it. Thanks for any ideas....:-)....

You need to make each element a symbol. Here's a tute.
    http://vectorguru.com/tutorials/007_...lustrator.html

Comment

• janetb
      janetb commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried--got stuck. I think it would be better for me to get CorelDraw instructions....:-).... If I don't find any, I will try this again. Thanks for the reference.

• Designia
      Designia commented
      Editing a comment
      I Google an found this, not sure if it'll help. Didn't read it through
      http://designertoday.com/Tutorials/C....Tutorial.aspx

• janetb
      janetb commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Designia,

I found that turning the closed-bezier-curve letters into symbols produced very jagged letters when I typed them. I guess they became images and lost the reduction-crispness of vectors....

Here's how I would do it.

1) Split the sentence in half and group each half.
    2) Select the first half, Effect>Warp>Arc... set 98% bend with 0% horizontal and 0% vertical distortion.
    3) select the second half, rotate 180 degrees, Effect>Warp>Arc... set -98% bend with 0% horizontal and 0% vertical distortion.
    4) expand both halves and line them up to make a circle.

Design is not decoration.

Comment

• kemingMatters
      kemingMatters commented
      Editing a comment
      oops didn't notice that, still not 100% new forum style savvy, my bad

• Designia
      Designia commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops, I didn't notice either.
      But wouldn't that warp the letters too Kern?

• kemingMatters
      kemingMatters commented
      Editing a comment
      Not enough to be extremely noticeable; given the height of text is a lot smaller than the length of a sentence. I was also assuming that the calligraphy would be script-like in nature and some or all of the letters in a word would be joined. If they weren't and you were worried about a little distortion you could draw a vertical line that was the length of the radius of the circle and add two times the highest cap height. Duplicate this line and place it over every character including spaces and group each line to it's character. Count the number of lines and divide 360 by the number of lines. Center all of the line/letter groups together, and rotate each line/letter group by 360/x + the last rotation.

Say you have 36 characters, the first wouldn't rotate so the last rotation would be 0 the next character would be rotated 10 degrees and the following would be 20 degrees, 30 degrees etc...

you might have to fiddle a bit after the the initial set up as not all characters are the same width, but once you are happy with the kerning and tracking you can delete the the lines over each character and bob's your uncle.

EDIT: you would have to include the space after the sentence also...

that's overly complex, but it's been so long since I've used corel I'm not sure what features it has anymore. Perhaps you can make the sentence a brush stroke and draw a circle, again not sure if that's an option, would work for AI though.
      Last edited by kemingMatters; 08-08-2013, 11:24 AM.

mistake #1.... using Corel

Comment

• Designia
      Designia commented
      Editing a comment
      Not everyone has a choice.

Does corel have an inline text function? Like if you wanted to put a little image inline in a paragraph of text. Would at least get you halfway there. You'll have to mess with baseline.

Comment

• janetb
      janetb commented
      Editing a comment
      As soon as you convert the vector-curve letters to an image (and this includes conversion to symbols), all the crispness of vectors is lost and they come out very jaggy.

I would have thought that there would be some basic Fit-Objects-To-Path function in CorelDraw (X5)....or any graphics program, for that matter......

Comment

There is in Illustrator and InDesign and Quark. It's been so long since I've used Corel, I've forgotten.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X