No announcement yet.

How to open a BAK file in Corel Draw 5?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to open a BAK file in Corel Draw 5?

I have been having some troubles with my Corel Draw lately. First off, I no longer have the software so unfortunately re-installing is not an option. I’m really hoping there is another way around it. First off, I saved a .cdr file as I usually do, I went to open it and it keeps telling me ERROR READING so and so file. I have tried opening the BAK file but it keeps telling me to use a specific filter. When opening a file I try clicking on "Filter Information" and says none available. I have no clue about filtering or anything else. I am pretty new with this program. I’m not sure if it matters but I also have Adobe PageMaker and QuarkXpress. Is there anyway to export the file to one of these? I really don’t want to have to buy any additional software (hopefully this won’t happen again). I have honestly tried everything I can think of including burning the file onto disc and trying to open it from there. Any help what-so-ever would be greatly appreciated!

so this is a backup file? of a .cdr file? I'm confused.
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them. Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Gunter and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

This may sound stupid, but have you tried a simple shut down and restart of the computer?

Have you tried this:
        http://howto.corel.com/en/c/How_To:_...pted_CDR_Files

Brie- It sounds like he is trying to open a BAK file of a broken CorelDraw file in something other than Corel because he thinks his Corel program is broken and no longer has the "disk" to reload it.

Having tried that with BAK files in SignLab, my first instinct is he's SOL.
        None of the Adobes will import/place/open a BAK.
        Quark is so finicky about opening its own files...

Comment

CorelDraw makes an autosave file and it has the suffix .BAK which is a backup file. With signlab, the BAK is stored in the same folder as the main file. The program should open it if the original file goes toes up. But it has to be opened from within Corel. You can't double click it.

Comment

Opening Damaged or Corrupted CDR Files
            Details
            An error message is displayed when trying to open CDR files within CorelDRAW®.
            Answer
            If a problem is encountered while trying to OPEN a CDR file in CorelDRAW, try one of the following to determine if the file can be salvaged:
            Create a new document.
            Go to View | Wireframe.
            Import the file with the CDR filter.
            Or, convert the file to a CMX, using Media folders (Media folders can optionally be installed with CorelDRAW 8).
            Try opening the file in Corel PHOTO-PAINT® (Note this will result in a completely rasterized rendition of the CDR file).
            For a PC file, try opening on the Macintosh (or visa versa).
            These tips are work arounds that may allow a CDR file to be opened that contains a bad fill, style or maybe even font information. This information can be corrupted in various ways and is most prevalent on systems that have insufficient resources and haven't be optimized or maintained. In most cases corrupted or unopenable files is possible to repair by way to revert a previous backup. The importance of having backup files cannot be over-emphasized.
            If you want to try the MediaFolders suggestion above, then you should be able to download it with a demo version of Corel 12 - which I suggest you do and then try your file on there as well. Also, take a look if you have any .ABK files in your folder as well, since I think these are also Corel created auto backups.

Comment

Hi William and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X