Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Namibia
    Reply to business card design
    Namibia
    I will show you some updates. 2 variations.

The orange is on both sides of cards.
    I chose 10 QR code, because in it is Vcard.
    Companys name is on other side of card...
    Today, 05:08 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    PrintDriver
    If someone pulls a prank, they're the arse. Glad my boss doesn't take kindly to pranks. We have fun, of course, but anything that costs the company money? Not so much.
    Yesterday, 11:18 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to New design lover here
    Buda
    Welcome Sasa.
    Yesterday, 10:13 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    Buda
    I agree, the borders are too heavy.

Don't stretch the text. Use it at 100% scale only.

Personally, I don't think you need vertical lines at all. Just horizontal rules would...
    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Business Card Critique
    Buda
    The back and the front look like branding for two completely different businesses.

What pt size is your contact details? It looks a bit too small from here. I wouldn't go under 8pt. You might...
    Yesterday, 10:09 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corel to InDesign and Vice Versa

Anyone know of any plugins, or anything for that matter that will allow me to use Corel files in InDesign, and also use InDesign files in Corel??

Any help, links..etc mucho appreciated
    ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

I don't know of any man, I checked Markzware who does a lot of that kind of thing, all they have is Quark & PM converters.

Comment

You may have better luck taking the Corel file into
      Illustrator. It would depend upon which version of
      Corel(Draw I assume) created the original document,
      but that conversion has worked for me before.

If it's not made from CorelDraw forget I said anything.

Comment

well the problem is im now an art director for 3 magazines, and they have done all there past work in Corel, but I talked them into buying InDesign for us. Now my issue is the whole converting the workflow..etc into ID.

That sucks there are no plugins to convert.....grrrr. ill have to think something else up then.

p.s. dont lay out an 80+ page magazine using 1 Corel file..... some people... i swear.
        ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

80+ pages? I thought it would be just one.

Forget I said anything

Comment

maybe in Corel Publish the file to a Multipage PDF... not sure if that will open in ID though. Sorry D.
            www.standercreative.com

Comment

SOL pal. Indirectly, you might try recreating the grid in ID and exporting the CDR file to a MSWord or RTF file and placing that file into ID. Formatting should come through, but I doubt if paragraph styles will.

You can also get a Macro from www.oberonplace.com that allows you to cut and pste Corel stuff directly into ID-- but it won't be very editable or practical. Maybe for spot graphics etc., but you might just as well save these ('Selected only') to EPS files if they're that critical.

The bright side is that you'll be moving from a terrible choice for a mag layout app to a an excellent one. It'll be far easier and worth it to start over from scratch, IMHO.

Comment

thx everyone, and yes broacher, you are right. it didn't take much convincing for them to get ID, I basically just laid it all out on the line and told them it would save them about a 1/3 of their production time, they were pleased with that, and followed it up with a "You better be right" type answer. so $2200 later we will be kickin some ass!!

ill try your guys work arounds, if anyone else has any, I am all ears. The more the better!

Comment

Hey D-frag, I would suggest getting Pitstop into your workflow. Export the Corel files as pdf and take them into Pitstop. The manipulation and editing features that Pitstop has far surpass what Illustrator or (gag) Photoshop will do with a pdf. Pitstop is my workhorse app. Good Luck...guess now you know why the other AD is not there any more?!
                  People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

I wouldn't count on Pitstop as a complete solution, or editor/substitute for real layout. Sure, it adds a lot to the editing power of the post-handoff Acrobat workflow, but it was never designed to sub in as a full-time, full-power layout app. To which I might cynically add, neither was CorelDraw.

Without a direct conversion route, you can either explore two (or more) -step possibilities, or try to get a realistic estimate on the cost of the potholes of conversion with any method, and decide whether it's more cost/time effective to work with these limits and compromises, or start from scratch. In my experience, it almost always pays to start over when you're in this level of situation. There's just too many potential legacy problems. Heck, we often get this even without hopping applications. You know the kind: a repeat project that's been through the cut and paste cycles and too many office hacks for too many years, that who knows what kind of corruptible vermin lay hidden in the file structure? (Ever open up a single sheet, text only file that's 9 megs. in size? Not pretty.)

If you want to press on with multi-step routes, you might get somewhere with Corel>PDF>MSWord>ID, if for nothing else, at least the text-- and hopefully, the format styles.

You can export the text of any PDF to a MS Word file. In fact, you just do a select all, and paste into Word and it's now RTF. But, if you do a SaveAs MS Word file from Acrobat (it's in the dropdown list) you will get a few more options. Why not just copy/paste directly from Acrobat to ID? Interestingly, an RTF clipboard paste into ID comes in as unformatted text. So it's better to place a MS Word file as a DOC (or RTF) which means you will also get paragraph style tags coming through.

The weakness of this method is that Acrobat does not recognize column or paragraph structure too well in the export to MS Word. The worst is that a multi-line paragraph converts into single line paragraphs.

Now, there are also available some third-party PDF to MS Word converters that supposedly do a much more intelligent job of interpreting things. Some, apparently do a very decent job.

Oh, and I've read about at least one 'dark horse' layout app that actually does open PDF directly into editable layouts that I've seen a year ago... somewhere. I can't remember anything else about this app, except that it claimed to be able to do this, pretty well, and I saw some screenshots. The dark horse status probably wouldn't make it a worthwhile candidate though.

Good luck!
                    Last edited by Bob; 06-02-2006, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Frag
                      p.s. dont lay out an 80+ page magazine using 1 Corel file..... some people... i swear.
                      Why not?
                      anitalavalatina

Comment

>>I basically just laid it all out on the line and told them it would save them about a 1/3 of their production time, they were pleased with that, and followed it up with a "You better be right" type answer. so $2200 later we will be kickin some ass!!<<

The biggest potential initial expense will not be the software purchase. It's the cost of retraining staff and an even more unpredictable cost: attitude adjustment. As Picosaur has demonstrated, the fierce loyalty of many Corel users can be huge. I'm a Corel user, and somewhat fan myself (since ver. 1, as a matter of fact)-- and I appreciate that just to proclaim this takes a certain amount of bravado in certain company. In other words, we tend to have developed a defensive, thicker skin than most designers out of evolutionary necessity-- when it comes to graphic software choices.

That said, I truly believe that once you reach the 'tipping point' in the training, the payoff will be significant. ID is the most solid, full-featured page layout app I've ever worked with (and I've tried a few). Sometimes, it DOES really pay to stick with the crowd. And don't forget, Adobe didn't just 'inherit' the title of best layout app. It had to invest a lot of time, research, and money in order to come up with something that actually did start a massive migration from the relatively loyal Quark user pool.

Comment

I work with Indesign too, and I wouldn't design an 80 pages document in CorelDraw (unless I had Ventura, which is basically out of business like PageMaker, hence, not an option).
                          But if I had a document with 80 pages designed in Corel, I know how to deal with it, I don't need to migrate to ID to save 1/3 of the production time. I think the situation is that D_Frag doesn't really know Corel's capabilities.
                          anitalavalatina

Comment

>>I think the situation is that D_Frag doesn't really know Corel's capabilities.<<

And maybe. Just maybe now! There's at least a possibility, that you haven't really fully explored the ID production picture. As I've said, many times before, Corel has incredible capabilities when it comes to drawing features and tools (maybe that's why it's called 'Draw'?). It's a terrific appication and an amazing 'Swiss Army Knife' application that has saved my butt more times than clean underwear--but it never was intended or designed as a replacement for a high-end layout app.

It can't handle the refined typographic power of ID. I find it particularly prone to file crashes once things get over a certain page count. It doesn't have nearly the recovery convenience/management that ID has, nor the advanced page mastering options-- well, I don't want to start a list war.

The thing is, the most basic, the most primitive components of the Corel UI-- such as transforms-- are still much more elegantly simple than the Adobe version. The total customizable interface and it's massive filter power makes it my first choice for whipping out concept stages and prepress emergencies. But for multi-page layout, with ad files from outside, or critical press handoff assurance--it would not be my first choice, by a long shot. Sometimes mega-featured products, whether we're talking drawing software, cellphones, or any number of available gadgets-- while they hold the promise of a 'one-shot solution', just fail to live up to the intelligent use of a well-selected, specialized and DISCRETE set of tools. In magazine layout at least, this is the case for Corel.

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher
                              >>I think the situation is that D_Frag doesn't really know Corel's capabilities.<<

And maybe. Just maybe now! There's at least a possibility, that you haven't really fully explored the ID production picture. As I've said, many times before, Corel has incredible capabilities when it comes to drawing features and tools (maybe that's why it's called 'Draw'?). It's a terrific appication and an amazing 'Swiss Army Knife' application that has saved my butt more times than clean underwear--but it never was intended or designed as a replacement for a high-end layout app.

It can't handle the refined typographic power of ID. I find it particularly prone to file crashes once things get over a certain page count. It doesn't have nearly the recovery convenience/management that ID has, nor the advanced page mastering options-- well, I don't want to start a list war.

The thing is, the most basic, the most primitive components of the Corel UI-- such as transforms-- are still much more elegantly simple than the Adobe version. The total customizable interface and it's massive filter power makes it my first choice for whipping out concept stages and prepress emergencies. But for multi-page layout, with ad files from outside, or critical press handoff assurance--it would not be my first choice, by a long shot. Sometimes mega-featured products, whether we're talking drawing software, cellphones, or any number of available gadgets-- while they hold the promise of a 'one-shot solution', just fail to live up to the intelligent use of a well-selected, specialized and DISCRETE set of tools. In magazine layout at least, this is the case for Corel.
                              I agree with you, and I already said that I wouldn't´ use Corel to create a layout with 80 pages, but you can do it if you want. You can use corel to layout flyers, business cards, catalogs (I have designed them in Corel, successfully), booklets, etc with lot of illustrations, but I agree, if I need to place lot of text, Corel wouldn´t be my first option.
                              Last edited by Piscosour; 06-07-2006, 05:57 PM.
                              anitalavalatina

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X