Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    Buda
    I really like the aesthetic.

Will you do more in the series? You could have a different design for different departments.
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Sweden's official national typeface
    Buda
    Cool idea but I'm not convinced that font will work in every situation. Can they remove Comic Sans from all government computers? That would be a nice start.

My mum works for a government...
    Today, 02:43 AM
  • it52
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    it52
    I do find them a bit boring. I think the layout and graphics themselves are too simple. I think you can definitely try adding some more detail to the graphics and experiment a bit more with your layo...
    Today, 01:19 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    <b>
    I always try to recommend what I think will work best for the client -- even when it means a lower fee for me. It sort of boils down to a matter of being professional and honest, which as far as I'm concerned,...
    Today, 12:40 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increased Nodes = Decreased Speed. Why?

I run CorelDRAW 11 on a Pentium D 925 Dual Core system with 256Mb Geforce video card and 1Gig dual channel DDR-RAM. This is a new system, but is facing a similar problem to my last computer. Can someone help me with what's happening?

I'll import a small jpeg into Corel onto a blank page (in my case, this has often been a Google Earth screenshot to enable me to draw a vector map). Initially, the computer runs well. But as I add lines, nodes, and text, the sytem begins to get sluggish. When, for example, I click on text to select & edit it, I may have to wait for 2 - 5 seconds for Corel to respond. The same goes for adding a new node, or selecting a new tool.

I've tried deleting the background image, restarting Corel, and saving the artwork periodically. I've also tried a RAM-freeing program which I have since deleted. The only thing that works is to restart the entire system. This gives a few minutes of speed before it begins to slow again.

On this new computer, I have left factory settings alone. Can anyone tell me if I need to change settings on the computer or within Corel? Your help would be much appreciated.

Oh, I also still have CorelDRAW 8 installed.

Mark.
    Last edited by beattiesprinting; 01-22-2007, 10:52 PM. Reason: Additional Information

That does sound odd. Is it just Draw that slows down? If it's just that, try re-installing it, or try resetting the program to Factory default settings (hold either F6 or F8 when it loads)

You could try looking into the memory options in Draw, or bump up your Virtual Memory settings... but that is a strange one.
    I love humanity. I just hate people.
    Botchup Workplace Tip #42: Do ALL your #2's at work. Not only do you save on TP, but you're getting paid to do it!

Comment

I have played extensively with Virtual Memory settings previously but with no success. As for memory settings within Corel, this is part of my problem. I don't know what I'm really doing with them (or the Virtual Memory settings). I'm just stabbing in the dark. If someone understands Corel AND the settings, they may be able to explain specifically what needs to be done.

Comment

Data Execution Prevention

My IT guy messed around with some of that stuff yesterday and made it run alot faster.
        http://www.omgili.com/preview/aHR0cD...RvcGljPTk2MTU5
        http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips566.html

Also, set your memory usage in corel to 75% of total memory
        then set your page file/virtual memory/whatever to a solid 3gb or there abouts.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X