corel draw and vinyl cut outs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corel draw and vinyl cut outs

Hi, I've been asked to send a logo to a company so they can print some t-shirts. It's a 2 colour logo - solid black and solid red (or 3 colours if it's CMYK - 0c, 100m, 100y, 100k)

I was told to send an .ai file - in wireframe (which made no sense to me).

I'm running CS5 and sent a CMYK .ai file - and received this response...

I can't seem to get it to open in my Corel Draw program, and as for wire frame I think its also called a Cad Cut I basically cut the logo out in vinyl
    How should I be saving the Illy file so that it can be opened in Corel (I have no idea which version) and what on earth do they mean by 'cad cut'?

As usual, all suggestions gratefully received.
    Want to know what a true friend is? One who walks in when the world walks out.

Hey Foz!

It sounds to me like they want solid spot colors rather than CMYK. I would also make sure all the artwork is expanded.

I posted something similar a while back, let me find it.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Found it!

This is the original art. If this were being cut for vinyl (pretend the gradients are solids), every one of those blue lines becomes a cut line. It's a hot mess.

This is what it looked like after i cleaned it up with Pathfinder & Expanded everything. The "cuts" are exactly where they belong now.

This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

They want solid shapes with no stroked lines and no overlaps. It doesn't matter if it's CMYK or Spot as long as the shapes are distinct and you have no gradients, drop shadows etc.

Convert all lines to shapes, make sure no fills overlap.
        When you look at the file in Outline view (wireframe) you should see shapes, not thin lines.

What kills me is you should be able to send the .ai file. A version 8 downsave is the safest for vinyl. The shop should have the conversion software in place.

Comment

Thanks Garricks, I remember seeing the thread where you posted that. I'll check for strokes (although I don't think there are any).

Any idea what format I should save the file in? ai/ai legacy/something else?

Comment

ooh, ninja'd by PD. Thanks, I'll check the file...

Comment

Thanks for clarifying the color issue PrintDriver. I tend to fall back on "The Old Ways™" when i can't directly ask the printer.

Back then, we designed in spot color and printed the separations to our LaserMaster (remember those? ), sent the output to the company to be shot for film.

Comment

Right. I can save as an .ai legacy file - illustrator 8, so that bit's sorted.

The logo comprises some words which have been converted to outlines and an image of an outboard motor (don't ask, I didn't create it!). The type is solid - no strokes, and the holes in the letters (which I know have a name, but I can't be pancaked to find out right now) are actual holes, not just white shapes.

The outboard motor had white shapes but I've removed them to create holes. (The green is not part of the logo, it's just to show the holes).

I'll send it and see. Thanks again for your help guys.

(ninja edit. I suspect someone's going to say that the outboard motor will be too fiddly to cut out in vinyl. You're probably right. I can only hope - because I wasn't there - that my friend showed the logo to someone who then said "yes, we can do that")

(super stealthy ninja edit: the holes in letters are called counters, although some lower case letters also have loops and eyes)
                Last edited by doctorfoz; 03-16-2012, 06:46 PM.

Comment

That sounds like it will work Fozman, let us know how it works out.

Comment

Hey Garricks and PD,

just received this email from the woman at the vinyl shop:

What you sent was perfect Thank you and will look at the detail and see how difficult it maybe to weed out
                    (there she's talking about the fine detail in the logo).

So thanks again for your help.

Comment

Awesome, Fozzie! Glad to help.

Comment

Glad it worked out Foz. How big is your final piece going to be?

Comment

It's going to be used for a work t-shirt - so it'll be small, on the breast pocket I guess. It's my friend's company and he's organised this. I guess I'll hear soon enough if there's a problem with the sizing...

Comment

Oh my, it sounds like they are still using rubylith for their film positive...
                            Well, the good news is they only have to weed it once.
                            You can get some really fine details in ruby. We use it on occasion but usually only for large stuff. It really sucks to weed.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                              A version 8 downsave is the safest for vinyl. The shop should have the conversion software in place.

It's comforting to hear someone else say that PD. I often expand that advice to cover solid vector logo work. If you can get it down to non-overlapping filled shapes only, that's like saying to every production tech down the line, 'Hey, I respect what you have to do'.

My pet peeve? Getting multi-megabyte AI CS files that can be saved down in AI8 to less than 100k.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
                                Reply to Work from UK for an US company
                                PrintDriver
                                Then you would be a business operating in the UK subject to all the laws and taxes of being a business in the UK.
                                Definitely cover your bases....
                                Today, 09:41 AM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to The right typography
                                PrintDriver
                                My guess is a translation issue.
                                Body copy maybe?

The typography is design dependent. If you are designing a magazine for children, the typefaces used are going to be different from...
                                Today, 09:37 AM
                              • KitchWitch
                                Reply to The right typography
                                KitchWitch
                                Hi Maarten and welcome to GDF.

What is bread text?

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside...
                                Today, 08:49 AM
                              • KitchWitch
                                Reply to Hello Guys
                                KitchWitch
                                Hi Torieyang and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                                Today, 08:46 AM
                              • Maarten
                                The right typography
                                Maarten
                                Hi guys!

I'm a designer student from the Netherlands and this semester we are creating an offline magazine so that means that we need to print it.
                                Well the question is, I find it really...
                                Today, 07:38 AM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X