issue with Corel Draw created PDF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issue with Corel Draw created PDF

A friend of mine* recently created a flyer in Corel Draw and sent a PDF off to the printers, with fonts embedded. The PDF was A4 and was reduced to A5. The results are somewhat less than satisfactory and she's asked me what went wrong. From what I can tell, it's simply that the fonts weren't embedded properly and a substitution has occurred. Do others concur?

NB: No proof was supplied to the printer. The designer is not a professional. There were a couple of empty text boxes left on the artboard which show up in Acrobat. Would that have any bearing on the problem? Would reducing the file from A4 to A5 give any problems with fonts?

Thanks.

*(no, it wasn't me, it really was a friend!)
    Attached Files
    Want to know what a true friend is? One who walks in when the world walks out.

Ah, the noble flag of Substitutionia, waving the official font of Courier.

Corel has extensive access to PDF creation options and switches. More so than AI or ID, actually. Too bad they don't all work. But yeah, this is definitely a case of font embedding -- or non-embedding. One of the output options is convert all text to curves. For a job this size, that would have been the safest route.

By the way, how did the actual colour work? Usually if someone doesn't understand the PDF options, the colour options are incorrectly set too.

Comment

The font defaulted to courier.

Could be down to the printers RIP, or fonts not being embedded correctly. They may be embedded for screen but not for output.

Printer should have copped that anyway.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Thanks guys. I have no idea of the scope of my friend's knowledge of Corel Draw - I suspect it's not very broad. It would appear that the colour isn't too bad, but I haven't seen the finished result - only the images I posted above.

You'd like to think the printer would spot something like that - but with no proof supplied, I doubt they'll take any responsibility. (My experience of printers is that they tend to be Teflon-coated when it comes to blame!)

I guess I'll tell her that it's most likely to be a problem her end - not embedding the fonts properly. If she turns out to be something of an expert, and insists she did everything correctly, then I'll tell her - as Hank says - that it could be the RIP and let her fight it out with the printer.
        Want to know what a true friend is? One who walks in when the world walks out.

Comment

You can't trust font embedding without a proof to back it up. Doesn't matter what program you use. She can outline her fonts or send a flattened pdf proof for reference. That said, any competent printer should have caught this.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorfoz View Post
            You'd like to think the printer would spot something like that - but with no proof supplied, I doubt they'll take any responsibility. (My experience of printers is that they tend to be Teflon-coated when it comes to blame!)
            I've noticed this happening more and more, that no hard copy, or "flat" version (I tend to send a JPEG well marked as "PROOF" with my PDFs) is supplied to the printer so pre-press can compare things like typeface changes.

I don't blame the printer for balking at a do-over.
            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X