Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PhotoPaint Q: jpg file size saved vs actual?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhotoPaint Q: jpg file size saved vs actual?

Hello,

I have a question that's been bugging me for quite some time, and now that my website storage is getting full this issue is starting to have a big impact on my storage.

One of the things I always liked about PhotoPaint was that I could edit a jpg. I can change the length and width, I can change the dpi, and I USE to be able to control the saved file size through the jpg export panel.

So for my website pictures, a) so they will load fast and b) to save on file storage, I always tried to resize the pictures to stay under 50kb, so I could have plenty of photo's and not impact my overall storage capacity.

Fast forward with the last few versions (I think it started with v11 and I'm now using x3)... Now though, for some reason, I've lost that control and the file size I end up with is always a crap shoot. Now when I save a file, I'll use the export panel as I always do, and it will tell me the file size should be 50kb. But when I look at the file after it's saved, it will actually be much more than that-- in may cases more than twice that size.

I just did one to show you as an example. Attached are two photo's. One is a snapshot of the photo and the export panel that shows what the file size I set it to save as (s/b about 46kb), but when you look at the photo's actual file size, it's over 80kb. And it doesn't matter if I save the file (file\save as) or I export it (by clicking the export arrow).

To show further, below are two different webpages from my custom fountain pen website. The first page is an older one (about three years old) and the file sizes are as they should be (all at or under 50kb). The other newer page is recent and the file sizes are all much larger. I think the older photo's were edited in v13, and the newer were edited and saved in X3 (the capped photo in the old page is larger because that is the one I just updated so now it's larger than the other two):
    Older page: http://www.jebspens.com/fp_custom/dhaulagiri.htm
    Newer page: http://www.jebspens.com/fp_custom/kamet_yel-blk.htm

How I do it: I'll take a large jpg photo, change the size (length/width/dpi), then save it again (usually with a new file name) as a jpg again and using the jpg export panel, I'll adjust the sliders so the file size will be around 50kb (for the large photo's, with the smaller photo's at about 10kb). But as you can see from the example, or look at the newer webpage, their file sizes are all over the map despite the file size I attempt to have in the (jpg) save panel.

So does anyone have an answer to why I can't control this anymore? I'd really like to know if it's something I'm not doing right that is causing this. But I've been using Corel Draw since version 4, so I'm pretty knowledgeable of all of it's capabilities (and shortfalls). But this one has me stumped.

Thanks...JEB
    Attached Files

Hi chugbug, welcome to the forum. I hope you'll find it useful and fun here.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes.

I don't know how to answer your question, I've never used Photo Paint. Someone else should be along shortly.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Using your process, that is the JPG export in PPaint, doesn't remove camera EXIF metadata. I looked at both your files and they were by byte volume, mostly EXIF data. The size difference is due to different camera models.

You don't need the EXIF data for web posted images (it's not used by browsers). BUT, PPaint's JPG export size reporter does not include EXIF info in its size prediction. That's why you're getting those discrepancies.

Good news though is PhotoPaint, like Photoshop, has an 'Export for Web' option under the File menu. That strips out the EXIF info and you're back to JPG sizes that should be normal for something like this -- around 5k. And the size is predicted accurately.

Be careful not to include color profile info either -- it's not necessary for this.

Be careful about how many times you save off to JPG

Comment

Thanks BOB! - How about to batch resize/save?

THanks Bob,

That makes sense, and something I never considered-- for a while, I was using two different model Nikon Coolpix camera's until the old one finally quite. The old one was a 950, the newer was a 995. Thinking back, that's why the sizes seemed to be random. The larger file sizes are with my newer 995 model.

I tried using the "Export for Web" option on a photo, and it worked. With a regular save, my sample photo was 40k, with the web export the size was 20k as it should be.

But now another question... Your suggestion solves my problem for individual photo's, but how can I do that for large volume pics (quantity wise that is) that I will use the "Batch Process" to resize, then save? The recorder allows for recording all the steps for resizing the photo's, but not for the saving. And the saving options are only the standard file formats.

Or would there be a way to run a batch processing to strip out that information from the individual files?

I have cleints that send me large batches of photo's and I (physically)resize them (length & width) using the "Batch Process" option. I'll run the recorder while I resize the first one, then run the batch processing for the rest. But there's no option in the batch processing for choosing HOW to save (other than choosing a standard file type). I just got a new batch in this morning of almost 500 pics.

Using the standard (save as) after batch resizing, I've reduced their file sizes from average of 1.5MB to around 50K each. If I use the web export, I could reduce them to about 25K each and still have a crisp photo. That would save half the stroage space. But I can't feesably save each one individually just to have that luxury (that is that my client would be willing to pay for the time invested to do it).

Any suggestions for batch processing?

Thanks.

Comment

Figured it out!

Hi Bob,

I worked out my own problem. After I thought about what I need to get rid of in the photo's (the original JPG's EXIF data), I decided to first batch process them and save them as BMP's. Then I can run another batch process to resize them as I need, then save them again as the small jpg file size I want. It's a two step process, but it reduces the file size as I wanted and still gives me nice clean photo, and even with the double run of the batch processing, it didn't take that long.

Thanks to your original suggestion, I was able to figure out a way to get the files the size I needed.

Comment

OK, lets try this again (I tried it once and it didn't post). I wanted to let Bob know that I figured out how to run the files through the batch processing to get the file sizes down as I needed.

Taking what he was origionally told me was the reason I couldn't get my files saved as small as I wanted (because of the camers's EXIF data), I decided to try saving the files first as BMP doing a batch process. Then I took the BMP files and ran another batch process to reduce the physical size (length and width), and to reduce the file size as I wanted. I had to do two batch runs, but even for 500+ photo's, it didn't take that long.

Thanks.

Comment

Got the message chugbug.

Glad you worked it out. Myself, I would have used Irfanview (a free, very powerful batch image converter) and done it all in one move.

You can just point IrfanView to a directory -- and even tell it to resize -- and resave to another directory, in the file format you want. Even JPG to JPG which allows you many options to remove EXIF info, comments, XMP data and more.

It's quite fast as well.

Comment

DOLT!! Thanks BOB! I forgot about InFranView! I tried that several years ago to do batch work (until I found I could do it in PP). I have an old version (from 2003), but I'll have to look for a newer version and download it to tray it again. I still have quite of few bundels of the photo's to batch run yet, so I'll try InfranView for the rest.

Cordially...JEB

Comment

Opps... Sorry for the misspelling of IrFanView! I didn't mean any disrespect to the developer.

JEB

Comment

Originally posted by chugbug View Post
                    Hi Bob,

I worked out my own problem. After I thought about what I need to get rid of in the photo's (the original JPG's EXIF data), I decided to first batch process them and save them as BMP's. Then I can run another batch process to resize them as I need, then save them again as the small jpg file size I want. It's a two step process, but it reduces the file size as I wanted and still gives me nice clean photo, and even with the double run of the batch processing, it didn't take that long.

Thanks to your original suggestion, I was able to figure out a way to get the files the size I needed.
                    I think you should use *link removed*; it is great batch image converter. And it supports multiple formats as I can see. Main features: Convert images to JPG, GIF, BMP, PBM, PGM, PNG, PPM, TGA, TIF image formats from any (BMP, DCR, EMF, GIF, ICO, JPEG, PBM, PCX, PGM, PNG, PPM, TIFF, TGA, WMF, FPX, EPS...).And we can resize, crop, rotate and mirror images, change color resolution. Change image's brightness, contrast, and gamma also.

Comment

Hiya Ryan

Welcome to GDF!!

When you get settled please read this as well as these very important threads. They will give you all the info you need on how the forum runs, the rules and regs, and give you some background info on our long running, inside jokes

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
                        Comment on Logo Feedback
                        Glitchin
                        I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
                        Today, 03:24 PM
                      • Glitchin
                        Reply to Critique Please?
                        Glitchin
                        This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
                        Today, 02:58 PM
                      • Glitchin
                        Comment on Critique Please?
                        Glitchin
                        Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
                        Today, 02:54 PM
                      • PrintDriver
                        Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                        PrintDriver
                        Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
                        Today, 12:42 PM
                      • B
                        Reply to US Letter sized publications printed in European printing houses
                        B
                        Printers can trim to any size that's required. As a general rule, commercial offset printers don't print on already-trimmed paper stock. Instead they print multiple impressions on large sheets of paper...
                        Today, 12:02 PM
                      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X