New Illustrator Alternative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Illustrator Alternative

Like many of you I have just been waiting to see what Adobes move to the subscription model would produce from the competition. I just ran across this one today. https://affinity.serif.com/ The website looks quite impressive at least. It is obvious that it is not as feature full as Illy, but it looks pretty capable. No mention of supporting pantone.

Anyway I am not using a mac currently, so I can't try it out myself, but I thought maybe one of you all might want to take a look. I hope Adobe's competition produces some top quality tools to break up the monopoly, a bit more.

Downloading now…just for giggles.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

• skribe
      skribe commented
      Editing a comment
      Let us know what you think of it.

I've been playing around with it for about a half hour now, and so far, it shows promise. I'd need to use it on some actual projects for a few days to find all those little gotchas or ways around what seem to be problems.

There doesn't seem to be a bleed area, like Illustrator. I wasn't able to open .ai files (no surprise), but it wouldn't let me paste from one to the other either. I was able to open Illustrator files that were, first, saved as .eps or .pdf. Likewise importing into InDesign meant saving the file as an .eps or a .pdf. I couldn't find any equivalent of the pathfinder tools that are in Illustrator, which is pretty much a deal killer for me (maybe I didn't look hard enough).

I couldn't find an overprint feature, like Illustrator, but there is a multiply function that likely amounts to the same thing, and best of all, it shows what the overprinted color will look like when combined with what's beneath it.

Like I said, it shows promise. I'm definitely looking for a non-subscription replacement for Illustrator, and with a few more features, this just might be it.

Comment

Too bad Xara Designer Pro does not run on OSX. It has all the features you just mentioned. I still smile everytime I just copy and past from Xara into Illy and it just works. I use Xara for nearly all of my line work because I find it faster and easier. For illustration I mainly miss Illys gradient mesh tool, and Xara can't even come come close to the superior handling of fonts under Windows by all of Adobe's products.

Comment

Let me give a try

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X