Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• redneckrodney
    Reply to 10 minutes from home
    redneckrodney
    Happy Easter y'all. Hope yours was as magical as ours...

Today, 01:04 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Web form design
    KitchWitch
    Hi Tetworx and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 12:38 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to Share and feel of a new member
    <b>
    That looks like Ha Long Bay -- a place I've always wanted to visit. The rock formations and the water look amazing. Have you been there? Did you take the photo?
    Yesterday, 09:02 PM
  • tetworx
    Web form design
    tetworx
    Happy holidays designers.

This form is a simplified version of a medical form that previously took users 10-15 minutes to complete. I'm looking for suggestions as far as color patterns,...
    Yesterday, 07:02 PM
  • buicongthai
    Share and feel of a new member
    buicongthai
    Please introduce, my name is Thai, I'm a Viet Nam. I am glad to learn this and know of the GDF to you, maybe it will help me improve the skills of image processing, it is also thanks to the great article...
    Yesterday, 06:51 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corel vs Adobe

I've been dabbling in graphic design for a few years. I've exclusively used Corel Draw for all vector related work, and photoshop for any raster.

My question is:

What are the main differences between Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator?

What are each's strengths and drawbacks?.

Are there any features in each that are exclusive to to each of the software packages?

I'm quite happy with corel, but a little curious to what the "competition" might offer differently

Thanks

Please don't flame this thread.
    If you have something to offer besides "corel sux" then please write it.
    Corel Draw in the right hands is a good program.

The only problems I have with it are:
    1. It's PC only
    2. Sometimes the exported vectors don't like my sign software.
    3. A lot of wide format printers will NOT accept a native Corel file. Has a lot to do with workflow. Some will take them as highres .tif only or as an .eps with all fonts outlined placed in other layout software. Hey, I don't argue with them.

Broacher and Keyare (and several others here) prefer Corel. Maybe they will chime in.

Comment

Thank for the reply PrintDriver.

Im guessing my question has been a controversial issue in the past?..lol.

Is the interface and tools within Illustrator similar to corel?. The reason for my questions is that I'm doing a design job for a fellow DJ. Instead of payment in cash he's offered free Adobe software (his sister works for Adobe). I'm just wondering if I should stick with payment in cash or go for a copy of Illustrator. The design job i'm working on for him is relatively small in payment terms, the value of the software is more than the cash value of the job. I guess I'm just trying to weigh up wether I should go for this Adobe product.

Comment

i'd go with the software - speaking as a prepress operator, i think i've come across maybe 1 or 2 clients in the last 5 years that still use it. The shop I'm with now doesn't even support it anymore. If you decide to stick with draw - be sure to work with your printers in getting them their required format be it native corel file or exported eps or pdf. 95% of the time a file exported out of draw to illustrator will work when final piece is to be printed on the press.

good luck

Comment

I won't even say anything
          My Site

Comment

Originally posted by prepress_goddess
            i'd go with the software - speaking as a prepress operator, i think i've come across maybe 1 or 2 clients in the last 5 years that still use it. The shop I'm with now doesn't even support it anymore. If you decide to stick with draw - be sure to work with your printers in getting them their required format be it native corel file or exported eps or pdf. 95% of the time a file exported out of draw to illustrator will work when final piece is to be printed on the press.

good luck
            Thank you for the reply prepress_goddess. You offer a lot of advice in your post.

I think I'll go with the software. Moreso out of curiosity of what it may offer differently. I've ONLY ever used Corel Draw for vector based designs, THere seems to be a lot of designers that swear by Illustrator and that has ebbed my curiosity of what I may be missing out on. I'm really happy with all that Corel offers, but I've never used anything other to make comparisons with.

A few questions I do have>

Are the 2 softwares similar in layout and tools? or will I need a steep learning curve to learn Illustrator?

Are there significant benefits 'function' wise of choosing Illustrator over Corel?.

Thank you for your time.
            Last edited by Scotch; 04-09-2006, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carter the artist
              I won't even say anything
              Please do !

I really am interested in hearing all sides of the "argument".

Comment

As the resident librarian of the GDF, I can recommend these threads, Scotch.
                They might help answer your question.

Corel Draw vs. Illustrator

Illustrator or Draw

Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw?
                "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

My bad morea. I should have used the search funtion before submitting this new topic.

Thank you for the links

*edit:- Those links answer a lot of questions I had....thanks again morea. Feel free to close this topic.

Comment

Hey scotch...I still keep up with Corel. We have a couple of clients that use it, and to be truthful, there are some good things about Corel. It's damn faster than Illy and it does blends easier.
                    But don't think that the user interface is going to be easy to switch. Corel is Corel. It does most things a little different. But then, you'd think that of Illy. Download a trial version of Illy and check it out.
                    People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

I just didn't want to say anything, because last time I brought up the problems I have with dealing with the CD files we recieve for large format printing... I find too many problems. The files, in my experience, end up not being 100% ready to print.
                      My Site

Comment

I'm not going to sit on either side of the fence either. But that ^^ sounds more like operator error rather than software issues. In almost 20 years of prepress, I've learned to take pretty much what's been handed me.
                        People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Nah, Rick, I think it's something to do with the way wide format rips. 95% of my large format guys don't want native CorelDraw files. Some won't take em at all. Like I said, they want .tifs or .eps with all fonts outlined.

Comment

I always thought that large format guys prefered Corel Natives as alot of the software, especially sign writing software ate .cdrs really well? But in the end i guess Postscript is Postscript, so i would use Illustrator just because it lives on a Mac. Maybe with these new Macs i can run CorelDraw, which has always been my prefered package.

I wonder where the Broach is anyway? Haven't seen him around for a while, i always enjoyed his encyclopaedic knowledge of Corel applications.
                            I work while you are all asleep...

Comment

Ouch Rick, are you talking about me or the "designer" who sent the files to me? Either way it's possible. I've only been doing prepress for about 6 months, and I went to school for Graphic Design.
                              However, as I stated in my earlier post we have problems when doing vinyl cuts because Flexisign tends to translate the pieces into bits and we have to weld or beware errant cuts.
                              The designs need to be translated over, and truthfully we do prefer ready to print files, otherwise we spend too much time on a project when we are trying to do too many projects.
                              Not to say that illustrator doesn't have it's faults, but it only deals with transparencies and pdf's exported out of illy.
                              My Site

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X