Icon Design Software!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icon Design Software!

Hello, I need to know a good Icon Design Software for mac and not necessarily free other than illustrator.

Thanks

Hi Amr and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Best practice would dictate their creation in a vector drawing software, which means, Illustrator, CorelDraw or one of the free ones found here (I've never used one of the free ones). Then there is Sketch (Mac only) from Bohemian Coding which looks intriguing, I used to use their font manager until they retired it, a shame really, as it was a great piece of software.
      Design is not decoration.

Comment

There is also Xara Designer Pro (Windows only), which I personally use along side Adobe Illustrator, and Affinity Designer (Mac only) that is quite powerful.

Comment

Blender runs on mac. And definitely can handle the workload of logo, Animating the logo, putting the logo on your moms buttcheek in space with zombies fighting for the brains, whilst fighting with lightsabers.

Comment

GIMP and Inkscape are open source and cross platform, they run on mac too.
            Blender also works for this, and it's way easier to create a logo in 3D with materials and illumination, than in 2D.

Comment

Creating a logo in 3D with something like Blender is something you should do only after the logo has been created in a flat vector format.
              Blender images are not scalable once rendered. And really large blender files can take quite a bit of time to render at high resolutions.

Comment

3D applications use NURBS and Bezier splines, which are by definition vector formats. If you keep the spline in a plane, then you have a flat vector spline...
                Some 3D applications can export splines to SVG.
                Yes, rendering takes a while, but I'm pretty sure that a good quality logo at 2048x2048 will render in less than 3 seconds.
                I never really learned to use Illustrator or Inkscape because I always found them inferior and more limited than 3dsmax or Maya.

Comment

• kemingMatters
                  kemingMatters commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think 3DS or Maya support spot colors. I'd hazard a guess that no 3D application does.

• pixaeiro
                  pixaeiro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not that I know.. +1 for illustration tools?

• kemingMatters
                  kemingMatters commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The +1 is a fairly weighty one, since branding colours should be set to a standard so they can be consistently matched.

We had a icon design project in school in which we used PS. With the small file sizes that icons require, the resolution didn't become a problem, and giving it a nice 3D effect was really easy and didn't take up the space that a 3DS Max file would require. Lighting effects can also be achieved in PS without killing all of your RAM.

Comment

• kemingMatters
                  kemingMatters commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The problem with using PS is this: What happens when someone decides they want to use those icons on a large print piece? They'll probably have to be recreated.

• bubby17346
                  bubby17346 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Probably. Depending on the size of the piece and the resolution requirements. But it just depends on the content. Though Illustrator will always be the better bet when it comes to versatility where size and resolution matter, it would not hurt to have a couple different file types for different applications.

Hi Bubby and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

This link surely provides best available tool for designing Icons.

http://speckyboy.com/2008/05/03/top-...-pro-designer/

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X