Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macro Media / Adobe Freehand, which OS …

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macro Media / Adobe Freehand, which OS …

So what OS are you running Freehand on and how does it work? I'm on 10.5.8, but thinking of the next up-grade 10.6.4? Does Freehand still work on whichever is the OS after 10.5.8?

Skip

Freehand will run on 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) but not on newer updates. Just out of curiosity, what are you using Freehand for? I recently had a problem with getting Freehand to work with my computer that ended with me updating the OS and having to find a workaround.

Comment

Hi, thanks, I'll have to check that out.

I use it for damn near everything we do here. We are an Ad Specialties company, so all the artwork we design / setup for pens, cups, mugs, jugs, calendars, t-shirts, custom logo's, business cards, you name it. What most folks use Illustrator for, we use Freehand. NO, it currently isn't as strong as Illustrator, but for what we do, most of the time, it works just fine.

Comment

We used it for printing clear acetate overlays for our products. Took me a month to figure out that I can do the same printing out of PS. Tried InDesign and ALL the different print settings in Illy but nothing would work. Finally tried PS and . . . Boom . . . Problem solved. So now I am running Yosemite with no Freehand. I do prefer using Illustrator but I don't think FH dominates the RAM as much. OH, and I'm not sure about the version of FH, but we were running FreeHand MX on our systems.

Comment

Uh...is your Mac an Intel Mac? 10.6 won't run on an old Power PC Mac.

You are about to run out of time on Freehand.
          The way you are going to have to work with it is try the upgrade on one computer and try Freehand. If it works, you lucked out. Depending on what file format you are outputting, it could be difficult to print to some printers as your OS upgrades too.

And considering Apple is up to OS 10.10, you may be running out of time on the old Kittycat upgrades too. They will only support them so long. You run the risk of security leaks and a lot of things no longer run (Flash is one of those things.)

Comment

We have several mac's on sight. iMac's, Mini Macs and more. This one has Freehand and for me, is the "Hand-off" computer

I just ordered a nice used Mac for Powermac with 10.5.8 on it and a new 30" monitor (from ebay … YES, new. Some folks use Illustrator in the office, and as weird as it sounds, when they need to do something simply QUICKLY, they do it in Freehand, save as .ai then continue on in Illustrator.

Comment

Your shop needs to seriously consider work flow and where you're going to be in 5 to 10 years from now. But hey, whatever works. I use Signlab when I want to do easy extrused drop shadows without all the stitching baggage Illustrator has.

Comment

We have been in business 40 years, and in 5 to 10 years I will be 3 + years into my retirement Like I said, we have several other Mac's on sight running 10.10 and up (we also beta test several software programs and need to be up-to-date on at least 2 computers at all times.

Comment

• PrintDriver
                  PrintDriver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly.
                  But Freehand's days are numbered to how long you can limp it along.
                  You might make it last to retirement.

I envy you. I can't retire out of this industry fast enough. Another 12 or 13 here. Every day brings new compatibility challenges, the software is more unstable (today we were losing menu bars when using illustrator for no reason other than it was raining) and it's hell keeping up with different media, different inks, and different ways designers find to muck up files.
                  So yup. VERY Envious.

I started Beta testing Freehand back in the beginning (back in 1988 when it was Aldus) and got use to it. I taught classes on Freehand, hell, I just love what I can do, and how quickly I can do it, in Freehand. NO I can't do shading and a ton of other things that Illustrator can do, but many of those features aren't used in our world much.

Pens and most ad specialty items only get printed in 1, 2 maybe 3 colors. We don't design many multi-colored logos as they can be expensive when used on marketing items. They also don't reproduce well in screen printing or embroidering apparel.

When we do need or find nice higher end (more complicated) artwork that we can use on projects, we save our freehand documents as a .ai file, bring into Illustrator and finish up there.

Comment

I used to love FreeHand back when Aldus owned it. We used to create newspaper graphics with it, Illustrator and, um, MacDraw before finally settling exclusively on Illustrator for various reasons.

The merger between MacroMedia and Adobe should never have been allowed to happen. Adobe has a vested interest in FreeHand disappearing, but rather than killing it, they've let it slowly starve to death.

Comment

• PrintDriver
                    PrintDriver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They didn't even take any of the key features from it. Just killing the competition.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• seamas
                  Comment on Poster for a school project
                  seamas
                  I dunno, I think it is worse when the dead headliners DO show up.

Not very sexy imho
                  Yesterday, 05:18 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Comment on Looking for the graphic designer of a certain graphic
                  PrintDriver
                  I'm a creature of necessity. A lot of times the end client will want an actual signed release and a real photo credit, so you have to attempt to find the artist.
                  Love doing image research for projects....
                  Yesterday, 05:10 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Reply to Work from UK for an US company
                  PrintDriver
                  All I can suggest is consult a tax expert in the UK. If your company doesn't mind you moonlighting like this, maybe they could suggest someone for you.
                  Income is Income and the Gov always seems...
                  Yesterday, 05:05 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Comment on Work from UK for an US company
                  PrintDriver
                  I do business with people in the UK a lot. Because the gig they hire us for is going to be in the US, they time shift their design staff so they are available during US Eastern Time. It's the only way...
                  Yesterday, 05:02 PM
                • PrintDriver
                  Comment on Poster for a school project
                  PrintDriver
                  Especially if the headliners aren't going to show up...
                  Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X