Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need an image outliner, with reference points.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an image outliner, with reference points.

hello all. I am new here, and I figured id reach out to a few experts to find a free outlining software.

SPECIFICALLY, I am looking for a software that defines the outline of an image, ( you can assume the background is a plain color). It needs to have the ability to create reference points. For instance, this image has little white squares amidst the yellow outline. They are important as markers for a program I am making

Hi Rbranch1 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Try GIMP.
      I don't use Gimp but if it works anything like Photoshop, there should be a method for generating a clipping path and exporting it to Illustrator.

Photoshop would work for this, but you wanted free.

Comment

i happen to have photoshop. That clipping path tool (the wand)looks almost perfect.Is there any adjustment to have break points on the edges like the above. Think "connect the dots".

Comment

• kemingMatters
          kemingMatters commented
          Editing a comment
          This made me cringe, the wand is not a clipping path tool, at best it's a selection tool and at worst it's the tragic wand.

The pen tool is probably your best bet, unless you get into really organic shapes, like hair or grass, then alpha channels are what you need to be working with.

Use the pen tool. Every time you click it creates a point.
        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

I'm guessing this is not the standard Photoshop usage of the wand tool.
          I'm guessing based solely on context here that they want a simple means of identifying the area inside a shape and that shape has to be vector with points.
          The magic wand tool would be fine depending on the tolerance set. After selecting with the wand, you go to paths>create work path. It's never exact but consistent if the same tolerance is used for the entire data set. You can export paths (with nodes) to Illustrator. Again, not sure if Gimp can do the same thing.

Comment

• kemingMatters
            kemingMatters commented
            Editing a comment
            The result might be technically consistent, but not visually consistent unless the subject size, image resolution, contrast of subject and background, and focal quality of the images are the identical.

You can use PixaFlux and the Shapes node:

Connect your image as an input of the shapes node, create the shape and set the Fill background to you input image using the combo box.

You can use the reference image tool to have a clear view when you create the shape.

Comment

The subject size wouldn't be consistent. That's the point...
            Adding a scale object would be a preference though.
            Microscopes come with both integrated camera and optical scales. That part would have to be a given.
            So would the number of points used to create the area.
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 04-14-2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X