Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A more exciting replacement for Powerpoint...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A more exciting replacement for Powerpoint...?

Day to day my clients ask for me to design them templates in Powerpoint but with a little zing. Well, its powerpoint so no zing there. However, i'd really like to know whether any of you have used another software for creating presentations that your clients can easily access and edit if need be? I want to know what works best? Whether it is none designer friendly? Anything that my help my quest.

Originally posted by Lindsay1111 View Post
    Well, its powerpoint so no zing there.
    How's that? Powerpoint isn't closed to "zing" any more than any other software. In fact, it's an excellent tool for its purpose.

Originally posted by Lindsay1111 View Post
    ...software for creating presentations that your clients can easily access and edit if need be? I want to know what works best? Whether it is none designer friendly?
    Not sure I understand that last question, but the answer you don't want is the best answer: Powerpoint.
    • Clients can easily access and edit if need be
    • Works best
    • Designer friendly (if you're willing to adapt and learn new things)

I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Personally, I refuse to work with PowerPoint by feigning ignorance and bafflement as to how it works. There's no piece of mainstream software I've ever run across that I despise more than PowerPoint. When coerced into making a PowerPoint-like presentation, I've used Apple's Keynote, which I still hate but detest slightly less than PowerPoint.

HotButton's right, though, given the criteria you mentioned about clients easily accessing and editing it, well, PowerPoint is probably your best choice -- unless, of course, you're dealing with people like me who would prefer piercing their fingers with a nail and drawing the presentation in blood on a whiteboard to using PowerPoint.

Comment

• garricks
        garricks commented
        Editing a comment
        B, you haven't lived until you open a tri-fold brochure created in Excel!

• Lindsay1111
        Lindsay1111 commented
        Editing a comment
        B Thats brilliant! I have come across that very same situation many times before! lol

• PrintDriver
        PrintDriver commented
        Editing a comment
        You guys are spoiling my breakfast...

At least the days are pretty much gone where someone designs a presentation in PowerPoint then brings it in to be reproduced as 35mm slides. Slide projector presentations are pretty much a thing of the past. Right?
        Hope so. LVT unit broken. Not likely to be replaced.

Last time I made a presentation for some foreign embassy group that was giving a speech at a university, I used Flash. I had it read data and variables from an external spreadsheet with locations for data, images, sound, movements and other things. The clients could easily edit the content, make changes to every aspect of the presentation by editing things in the spreadsheet. I know flash isn't a popular thing anymore and I can see why, because that was a nightmare. If I had to do it all over again, I would have used Powerpoint.

"I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

The only other one besides PP that I've actually seen used is Prezi. But I've never used it myself so I can't speak to how user or designer friendly it is.

Power Point is fine as long as your client is open minded. The biggest hurdle to making a nice PP presentation is the speaker themselves because most people are so used to dull, bullet point, text heavy presentations that they don't think any thing else qualifies as a presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by salsa View Post
          The only other one besides PP that I've actually seen used is Prezi. But I've never used it myself so I can't speak to how user or designer friendly it is.
          Prezi does require a subscription too, so it might be a tough sell

Originally posted by salsa View Post
          The biggest hurdle to making a nice PP presentation is the speaker themselves because most people are so used to dull, bullet point, text heavy presentations that they don't think any thing else qualifies as a presentation.
          ^^^ This is what takes the "zing" out of any presentation template
          Design is not decoration.

Comment

Hi Lindsay and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I agree that powerpoint is the right tool. As the designer, it's up to you to make the presentations zing. Even if the program isn't exciting to you. View it as a challenge rather than an obstacle to avoid. And salsa is right, it's the speakers that can quickly put the pooper on a great PPT deck. Maybe, in addition to supplying amazing templates, you could also offer some tips on effective and engaging presentations?
              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Prezi as an alternative for Powerpoint works for me the best. It has pretty easy learning curve and the results are impressive.
                If you look for something else, I found this useful article:
                http://www.customshow.com/best-power...tion-programs/

Comment

Prezi is good, surely ... unless your client is expecting a Powerpoint deck that that can be edited in their own copy of MS Office to evolve with their objectives. That's what makes Powerpoint the right choice; the client's platform. If the client can/will work with a different application, then that other application becomes the right choice.

In that way, graphic design is sometimes like playing in a cover band. Context dictates that you can't always make the self-accommodating choice. You may be a mandolin virtuoso, but if you're appearing before a hard rock audience, you don't play the iconic opening riff of Smoke On the Water on a mandolin. You deliver the performance on their terms.
                  I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

I would recommend these 3: Beamer, Prezi and Keynote

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X