OSX Sierra

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSX Sierra

I see they are adding Siri capability to the desktop operating system with Sierra.
    This could be really annoying if the whole office starts talking to their computers.
    Or maybe not so funny if Siri starts doing the stuff one mutters under one's breath while hating on a project...

"Someone should take this file and flush it down the toilet..."
    Wonder what the response would be?
    :}

I haven't seen anything yet that makes me want to upgrade. Just more bloatware.

https://www.apple.com/in/macos/sierra-preview/

LMAO! That could really be hilarious…or tragic.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I would have to quickly break my habit of typing reasonable email replies, but speaking what I'd really like to say at the same time.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Imagine losing an account over such an email?
        Could open up a lot of jobs for new designers!

Comment

Talking to your computer is fine if you're the only one in the building like some of the people who work from home. I can only see it in an office environment if you have sound proof cubes.

I'm more skeptical of the quality of voice recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by designzombie View Post
            I can only see it in an office environment if you have sound proof cubes.
            Cubes? Who has cubes anymore? Most studios and agencies switched over to ''open plan'' office space yeaaars ago in my neck of the woods. I yearn for the flimsy 3 foot tall carpeted foam walls that used to separate me from my colleagues.
            Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

• KitchWitch
              KitchWitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen. I'm in an open layout and it's horrid. Even if your computer only recognized your voice (when I got my phone they had me say Hey Siri a billion times so my phone only responds when I speak to it), it's a nightmare waiting to happen.

It also seems they've dropped using the term OS X in favor of macOS.

As for Siri, I've only found it marginally useful on my iPhone since it's often easier to speak than type things out on the little virtual keyboard. More often than anything else, I've probably used Siri as a game to see what kinds of stupid questions she'll actually answer.

On a desktop or laptop, I can't really see myself preferring to speak to the computer instead of typing on a keyboard. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to using both and using them accordingly. In an office setting, nope, won't use it and I'd be annoyed by anyone within earshot who did.

Comment

• KitchWitch
              KitchWitch commented
              Editing a comment
              I set my Siri voice to a British dude. So far I've only used him as a timer, lol.

I work with a lady named Sheri ... so every time you have someone say, "Hey Sheri" ... their iPhone "beeps" and Siri comes on asking what you need.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

I would love to be able to use my computer entirely with my voice. I work from home and mostly work with text. It would be nice if my computer accurately understood what I was telling it to do without having to repeat myself and would read back only what I was looking for. But computers are not there yet. Not even close.

Comment

Siri never really works well for me, I tend to stutter and Siri nearly got me in trouble with an X-GF.With that being said, I think my computers CPU would have a sever melt down, trying to decipher what I'm trying to say.I do like some of the features of Sierra, but until they can figure out an algorithm for people who stutter, I won't be upgrading anytime soon..lol

Comment

I never enabled it on my iPad. Interrupts me, I would rather type my search. I work at home but don't want to talk to my computer. I'd rather sing while I work so I would have to turn it off all the time anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanwavewave View Post
                    Siri never really works well for me, I tend to stutter and Siri nearly got me in trouble with an X-GF.With that being said, I think my computers CPU would have a sever melt down, trying to decipher what I'm trying to say.I do like some of the features of Sierra, but until they can figure out an algorithm for people who stutter, I won't be upgrading anytime soon..lol

Hi Ocean and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You will all probably upgrade. Eventually.
                      Resistance is futile.

Comment

Originally posted by designzombie View Post
                        Talking to your computer is fine if you're the only one in the building like some of the people who work from home. I can only see it in an office environment if you have sound proof cubes.

I'm more skeptical of the quality of voice recognition.

Mac OS has had voice control since system 7 or so - we tried it where I used to work and after 5 mins we turned it off. If there's more than one of you in the room its pointless and if you're alone you're apparently talking to yourself.
                        Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                          You will all probably upgrade. Eventually.
                          Resistance is futile.
                          Not me at least - my 2008 iMac is unable to run Sierra and so is officially obsolete.
                          Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                          Working...
                          X