Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What computer to buy

Yo dudes

I study graphic design in college in Glasgow just now in my second year, thinking of buying a new laptop, specifically for college work, and hopefully freelance jobs when the course ends in June.

I went out at the weekend to try and get some information about laptops and soft wear that I'd need to get the best results, and got really conflicting opinions off of 3 different people.

1 guy told me i needed an intel processor, another said AMD was better for graphics, and another dude said i needed both, wich would cost over ú1000 to build, so i'm no up for that.

I know next to nothing about graphics cards, but i do know they are mega important for this, but i dunno what i'm looking for, what processor i need, nothing really.

I'm 19, and have a budget of about ú350-400, that's not including still needing to get adobe CS6, i'll take care of that myself, right now i'm just looking to get a new laptop.

I did hear that laptops aren't powerfull enough, so i'm also open to getting a desktop PC, no macs or apple products, thats incredibly out of my budget.

Any help would be great as i'm really, really confused about what to get. The original laptop i was looking to get was a HP Pavillion g6-2213sa (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pav...93449-pdt.html), one guy said that was a great machine for this, another said not. So i gots no idea.

Like i said, any info or help would be grand,
    Thanks
    Scott

Hi Scottidaly and welcome to GDF!

When you get settled, we ask that all new members take a few minutes to read through important threads here and here. These will explain our rules, answer frequently asked questions and explain some of the long running jokes you'll run into. Enjoy your stay.
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Whatever you've been told is complete nonsense. Laptops not being powerful enough? Nonsense.

What type of graphic design are you doing? Print, web, video, animation, 3D, gaming?

There's lots of different types.

I recommend Intel over AMD, simply because I don't feel AMD have kept up with things.

Processor

i3 processor is low range, i3 denoted by figures after it like i3 150 would be a 1st generation, i3 2xxx would be 2nd generation and i3 3xxx would be 3rd generation.

You then have i5, mid range and then i7 which is the highest range.

Ideally you want to go for the 3rd generation models.

You can compare models on Ark Intel by searching for the processor number, ie., i5 2350 and then compare it to other models, like i7 3630

RAM
      If the operating system is 32 bit - then 4gb is max as it's all it can read

If the OS is 64 bit
      - 4gb is plenty for day to day stuff, illustrator, photoshop, indesign etc. not working with large files etc.
      - 8gb is plenty working on large images and lots of photo editing etc. and large illustrations
      -16gb+ for any video editing and/or 3D/animation things

Graphics Card
      More and more newer pieces of software are tapping into the video card for resources, so I do recommend a decent graphics card. Is it important now - not really.

A Nvidea 650m or 630 m would be plenty

But if you're doing Video/3D/Animation then I recommend at least a Nvidea Quadro FX.

Don't fall into the trap of something like "Nvidea 630m 2gb RAM" 1gb or even 521 mb of RAM on a graphics card is plenty.

The only time you'll see a difference is in heavy video editing.

Don't pay over the odds for a 2gb graphics card if 1gb will do.

But a graphics card is probably not needed as the modern Intel Processors have a decent GPU built right into the CPU!
      - Unless you're doing video or animation or something.

For your budget
      http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_...1_1334871.html

This would probably suffice.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

what he said ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by bulgariacalling View Post
          what he said ^^^
          I agree.

If you're soliciting opinions from sales people in stores on which computer configurations are best for graphic design work, stop doing that. For the most part, they just want to make a sale, so they pretend to know what they're talking about.

Hank pretty much gave you the best advice you're going to get anywhere. Obviously, if you spend more, the odds of getting a better-made, quality machine go up. You don't need to spend a fortune, however, to get a reasonably good computer with plenty of processing ability for basic graphic design work.

Comment

Hank summed it up quite nicely, actually.
            "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

If you're planning on getting Adobe CS6 soon, make sure you do it before your student discount runs out. The student discount is huge and what you save compared to the regular price could buy you a new computer.
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" ľ Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I'm going to be buying a laptop for school soon, so this thread came at a great time.

What about brands? Anything that's an automatic no-go? I know a lot of opinions are based on one bad or good experience, but I'll take what advice I can get and sift through it.

Comment

Adobe Creative Suite at a Student ID price is not licensed for Commercial work outside of North America. But it might be worth it to have it as the upgrade price from a student version to full version will certainly be less than buying the whole package at retail. Don't wanna hear it if 'taking care of it' means something else.

Comment

Originally posted by TuffSpot View Post
                    I'm going to be buying a laptop for school soon, so this thread came at a great time.

What about brands? Anything that's an automatic no-go? I know a lot of opinions are based on one bad or good experience, but I'll take what advice I can get and sift through it.
                    There are some brands that are poorly built. If you are unsure or if it's a brand you haven't heard of let us know.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

I edit video and work in 3d, as well as 2d graphic design. I am in the market for a new computer (as my 'state-of-the-art' pc from 2005 has seen its better days). Would you please look at these specs and see if a rig built out like this will hold me for a few years? My biggest concern is the video card. Hank mentioned Nvidia Quadro FX, but in searching Google, I couldn't find whether the K600 was better, worse, or about the same. Thanks in advance.

Processor: Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1220 v3 (Quad Core, 3.10GHz Turbo, 8MB)
                      Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit
                      Memory: 16GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
                      Hard Drive: 1TB 3.5inch Serial ATA (7200 Rpm) Hard Drive
                      Video Card: 1 GB NVIDIA® Quadro® K600 (1DP & 1DVI-I) (1DP-DVI & 1DVI-VGA adapter)

Comment

Welcome tit4tat!

I deleted your duplicate posts; new members first few posts are moderated, so hang tight and someone will mod you through as soon as possible.

When you get settled, we ask all new members to have a thorough read through these important threads with our rules, FAQs and inside jokes. Enjoy your stay!
                        Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by tit4tat View Post
                          Processor: Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1220 v3 (Quad Core, 3.10GHz Turbo, 8MB)
                          Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit
                          Memory: 16GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
                          Hard Drive: 1TB 3.5inch Serial ATA (7200 Rpm) Hard Drive
                          Video Card: 1 GB NVIDIA® Quadro® K600 (1DP & 1DVI-I) (1DP-DVI & 1DVI-VGA adapter)
                          I'm also in the market for a new laptop (those specs look good to me). Where do you plan to purchase, or are you building it yourself?

Comment

Hello ScottieDally
                            Talking about CPU you find Intel better variant for youself. Yes it is little expensive but more powerful

Comment

I dreaming about Dell Alienware M18x

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright ę 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X