Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• garricks
    Comment on InDesign data merge advice…
    garricks
    Yes, I'm leaning that way now. Still percolating both ideas though… Thanks!
    Today, 02:51 PM
  • garricks
    Comment on InDesign data merge advice…
    garricks
    Good point…thanks!
    Today, 02:50 PM
  • Designia
    Reply to InDesign data merge advice…
    Designia
    I think what Kerning pointed out should ultimately be the deciding factor as the page numbering needs to make sense when it's combined with the other documents. Personally I think I'd use 4 separate documents....
    Today, 02:35 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to BAND LOGO HELP
    seamas
    They want simplistic or simple?

To my mind there is a significant difference, but that's just me.

What have you sketched out so far?...
    Today, 02:32 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Getting into graphic design
    PrintDriver
    Another note on color modes: There are some printers and there is one print process that actually use the RGB color mode. But it is vendor specific.

The best advice regarding color modes...
    Today, 02:07 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! - Trapping

Hi,

I'm new here and need help please! - it may take me a while to explain...

I have recently sent a catalogue to print (done in quark) and the printer is saying that I need to set the trapping on a particular item that I have on every page. I can do this to the item in the master documents but how do I go about setting the correct options?.....

At the top of every page I have a coloured image that runs across the width of the top of the page. I have then put a small BLACK image box on top of the coloured band image and the Black picture box then has a text box over the top which has the title of the page in it - text in white. The black img box also has a white frame to it. The trouble is that when printed - the coloured image behind shows through the black - I thought black was black but it appears that the colour img behind 'may be' being printed ontop of the black box?? How can I stop this and make the black appear black? [IMG]Picture 8.pdf[/IMG]

Please please help!

Charlotte

With out seeing your image it sounds like all you need to do is make that black a rich black--50c 45m 40y 100k assuming that this job is 4color process. Trapping then will not be an issue or any see through.
    Last edited by jimking; 01-12-2006, 03:55 PM.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

The black is overprinting the image. You can have it knockout a box into the graphic behind it, AND/or like jim said give it a rick black. Now with a rich black AND reverse type you do run the danger of coloured flashes in your white type in the job misregisters a bit. Ask your printer for his rich black recipe as it's really different depending on where you go. You want it to look black and not have a 'tint' to it.
      It's not about the world of design.
      It's about the design of the world.
      Massive Change

Comment

Originally posted by PersonasBinar
        The black is overprinting the image. You can have it knockout a box into the graphic behind it, AND/or like jim said give it a rick black. Now with a rich black AND reverse type you do run the danger of coloured flashes in your white type in the job misregisters a bit. Ask your printer for his rich black recipe as it's really different depending on where you go. You want it to look black and not have a 'tint' to it.
        You'd think the printer could fix something like this. Sense they didn't I can't image that they even know what a rich black is. The other thing that crossed my mind is if this is a spot color job and that header was created in Quark then you'll need to go to the quark prefs. and choose "knock out all" but then your printer will have to trap the job but there would be no see through.
        WYSIWYG

Comment

Is this on every page or is it a master page item?.

I wonder if the printer is being cautious?
          Massive Change

Comment

Originally posted by PersonasBinar
            Is this on every page or is it a master page item?.

I wonder if the printer is being cautious?
            It's on the master page. The printer problably has a lack of knowledgable staff because they lack the funds to pay. Very common.
            WYSIWYG

Comment

That's just a crime then....a simple phone call, find out what the designer intended and proceed again.
              Massive Change

Comment

It also could be that they only received a pdf from the client and the printer is having a problem fixing it. Very very common.
                WYSIWYG

Comment

True true
                  Massive Change

Comment

Problem sorted - thanks everyone!

Thanks guys,

I spoke to the printer again and got someone else this time and they said don't worry about it - they can sort it there end!! They said that most modern printers can deal with it and it gets picked up. Although they said it is good practice to use a rich black if the black is over an area of colour image. They suggested 100% of c, m, y and k.

The only thing is you can't tell if this problem occurs until the printer produces a high res proof. My printer asks for high res print ready pDFs and when I look at them on my screen i can't see any trapping problems - but they are there if I don't create a rich black.

Anyway, problem sorted, thanks for your help!

Charlotte

Comment

100% of all the colors is wrong also. The person you talked to problably made a mistake with that formula.
                      WYSIWYG

Comment

That registration mark colouring....totally wrong ... 400% ink no way no how.
                        I've used CMY@40K@100 of some such recipe. I'd consider a different printer these folks don't know what they are doing from the sounds of it.
                        Massive Change

Comment

All of the above and actually if you don't want a rich black (don't know why you wouldn't) add just 5 or 10% cyan to the black, it will force the color to knockout.
                          People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

maybe he was just saying anything

400% tho

sheesh
                            When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
                            But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X