Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF files - PDF Version 1.7

Hi,

First post - so please handle with care.

Using Quark 9.5.4.1 on a Mac (10.7.5).

Have been supplied a PDF advert for a catalogue which is version 1.7 PDF (with transparancies) file to drop in a 200 page catalogue.

Using the normal method of exporting a post script file to distil to print ready PDFs - the PDF file reverts to 1.4 (which is the setting) - the advert looks all washed out - in fact when i import the 1.7 PDF file into the Quark file - it looks washed out!.

The Printer has told me that with Quark 9 I would be better using the export to PDF feature. Using both the Press High Quality / High Resolution or the PDF/X-3 2002 settings I can't get any PDF out of Quark higher than version 1.5 and the output still looks washed out.

Any thoughts please - going around in circles here!

Thanks.

Hello JoeH, welcome to GDF

We ask all new members to read
    very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.

---

Unfortunately for you, I'm not a quark user; the last version I had on a machine was 6. I do know that what you see is not always what you get, does it look differently when printed?
    Last edited by kemingMatters; 02-11-2015, 09:16 AM.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for the welcome.

Sadly the file does look washed out when inserting into a picture box and when output the page in any form of PDF.

Thanks.

Comment

• kemingMatters
        kemingMatters commented
        Editing a comment
        that's on screen, what about when it is actually printed...

Sadly it's the same - washed out. I'm guessing that PDF version 1.7 is better at handling files with transparencies than 1.4 - but I can't get Quark to produce a PDF file at 1.7 regardless of which output option I select.

Comment

• kemingMatters
        kemingMatters commented
        Editing a comment
        1.4 flattens transparencies, it's what's used in the PDF/X:1a standard. To think of that, if your standard is PDF/X:1a then the washing out could be due to colour conversion from RGB to CMYK; as the standard only supports CMYK+Spots.

Been having a little look around and came across this thread:-

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/300188?tstart=0

Looks like Quark and version 1.7 PDF do not get on! And that thread goes back to 2008! - My finger is on the pulse! Many thanks for your time and trouble.

Comment

Hi Joe,

QuarkXPress 9 and lower do not understand the internal objects of PDF objects. That means that it basically flattens the AI or PDF upon import and when exporting you might see results that you also see if you for example use a PDF tool and pre-flatten PDFs. So it is good practice to pre-flatten a PDF (or convert to EPS) when using QuarkXPress 9 or lower, as you can pre-determine results.

QuarkXPress 10.1 and higher (10.5 is the latest version) understand the internal objects of PDF files and therefore do not flatten the imported file. When you use the appropriate output settings in QuarkXPress 10.5, you can export a PDF containing unflattened transparency without loosing its transparency in the output.

Regards
        Matthias

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X