Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QuarkXPress 2017 introduced

Hi all,

maybe this is of interested, Quark introduced QuarkXPress 2017 last week. It will be available in the second quarter of this year.

Details can be seen in this 12 min video:
    https://youtu.be/z4plWLta0NM

Thanks
    Matthias

Whee...
    I haven't had a need to update Quark from Version 7. Haven't seen a Quark file in years.
    They waited way too long to fix their max artboard size for wide format and got run over and trampled in this niche.

Comment

Wow...

Couldn't quite make it through the video, between the awful music and the mundane demonstration of lame features...

Looks like they're hanging a big hat on integrated image editing. I wonder if "without having to leave the application" is an attractive prospect to anyone anymore. I don't think about it much, but since this made me do so, I might even prefer having image editing, vector graphics, and page layout segregated a la Adobe 'suite'. The Adobe stuff is far from perfect, and the subscription model was hard to swallow for a bit, but I don't see Quark moving the industry off it with this.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

If quark is as good at integrated image handling as it was at handling scaled tifs, I'll pass.....

Comment

I just had a chat with a Quark Rep last Friday. I asked him what Quark had over Adobe. His biggest selling point was that you can own (not rent) the software. That would be fine for me if I thought that I needed an upgrade.

The biggest thing keeping me from upgrading any of my graphic design software is that I'm not convinced that I will ever run into the compatibility issues that often warrant the upgrade. And when it comes to capabilities, I haven't seen any features from any software in a decade that I didn't have from over a decade ago, or didn't know a work around for.

If Quark is better than Adobe with any features, I couldn't get it out of that Quark rep. He said they are about the same capabilities, which I found difficult to believe. I was tempted to buy it for the low upgrade price and the integration with HTML5, but then I remembered that I upgraded to Quark 8.1 when it was new, and never used it once.

Comment

designzombie There are several features that QuarkXPress has (had for a while) that might be interesting:
            - Convert AI, EPS and PDF to editable objects
            - Copy and paste a path (or multiple bezier elements) from Affinity, Illustrator and others to QuarkXPress and continue to edit them. Works also with 2D charts from MS Excel
            - Footnotes AND endnotes
            - Convert print into HTML5 publications (e.g. for flipbooks)
            - Item Styles that can carry partial attributes
            - Margin alignment that you can specify yourself (amount, for which characters etc)
            - Edit kerning pairs
            - Export PDF as grayscale
            - etc.

Cheers
            Matthias

Comment

Looks like we got a Quark sales rep here.

All those things Indesign can do, and has done them since inception. What does Quark do better? Other than not having a subscription. I could get into not having a subscription.

I read with version 10 you went up to a 5meter art board? Is that true? Still under the 200andchange Indesign has. And Quark never handled scaling anything very well in the past. Stair stepping, drop outs, Lost image data (that was fixed with a hidden radio button about version 6.)
              Brings back memories of when I had hair.

I do pre-flight for wide format files. Quark projects could make for some long days.

Comment

Originally posted by mguenther View Post
                Hmmm...more edit-in-place stuff. Dumb question maybe, but does that mean a linked graphic would become embedded once edited, or do the in-place edits affect (overwrite) the originally linked file?
                I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• PrintDriver
                  PrintDriver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good question. That could mess with profiling if embedded. And resolution if scaling.

• HotButton
                  HotButton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Right, and of the 2 results, embedding or overwriting, I don't see how either would be desirable.

PrintDriver Actually I am a product person. I work with QuarkXPress and InDesign and I work for Quark as listed in my profile.

InDesign cannot do the things I mentioned above, I mentioned them as you asked for differences.

About the size, InDesign CC 2017 has a max PAGE size of 5486.4 mm, QuarkXPress has 5689.6 mm, so slightly larger and pretty similar.

Try a newer version please, e.g. QuarkXPress 2016. No issues with scaling either, you can scale images from 0.1% to 5000%.

Comment

Originally posted by HotButton View Post
                  Dumb question maybe, but does that mean a linked graphic would become embedded once edited, or do the in-place edits affect (overwrite) the originally linked file?
                  Neither really.

Have you tried converting a PDF into editable objects in Illustrator? If yes, then you know what QuarkXPress 2016 does, it has a native understanding of PDF and can convert elements into QuarkXPress objects, so that you can edit them. Vector elements in the converted file become bezier elements, text stays text and so on.

Raster images contained in the EPS or PDF are being kept, either as embedded images or new in QuarkXPress 2017 externally linked. In both cases, color model, resolution, color profile etc. are of course being retained.

You can try this (with the one exception mentioned above) already in QuarkXPress 2016: http://www.quark.com/Products/QuarkX...est_Drive.aspx

Thanks.

Comment

I already know how badly Illustrator converts PDFs into editable objects, and it's a native Adobe translation.
                    I can't imagine Quark's rendition, especially considering Quark's historically bad PDF capabilities (Acrobat Distiller anyone?) and then having to deal with external program transparency effects and all that happy crap.

Most designers already know that opening a PDF in Illustrator in order to edit it is a bad idea. Or they should.

.eps is becoming anachronistic. It does not handle transparency at all. Should be a discontinued format.

From a Printer Vendor standpoint, none of that is a plus. At least not in my book.

Just sayin.....

Comment

Ok, so you are assuming based on history ;-) Sure, understandable.

Just, why don't you give it a try, the current version (2016) already does it. 2D Charts from MS Excel? All perfectly converted. Paths, like the symbols, from Illustrator? No issue there. Old EPS that you might have and finally want to convert to PDF? Sure, all editable.

And of course even without converting, transparency from AI or PDF will work in QuarkXPress, even in conjunction with other semi-opaque objects.

Distiller? Can still use this as an option, however direct PDF Export (also X4) is built-in too. Even uses the SAME EXACT technology as Acrobat to verify compliance with X-standards.

Comment

Neither really.
                        Your explanations make it sound more like both than neither.

...can convert elements into QuarkXPress objects, so that you can edit them. Vector elements in the converted file become bezier elements, text stays text and so on.
                        That's embedded. (Actually, I suppose it would be more accurate to say 'dismantled, then converted to native entities.')

Raster images contained in the EPS or PDF are being kept, either as embedded images or new in QuarkXPress 2017 externally linked. In both cases, color model, resolution, color profile etc. are of course being retained.
                        Also embedded, aside from the new 2017 feature, but it's still not clear how this "externally linked" image file gets written, or overwritten, as the case may be. And actually, my question was more geared toward a stand-alone file, vector or raster, that was externally linked in the first place, then edited in Quark, as opposed to the various components of an EPS (which you won't find in my workflow anyway), or PDF, which is also a format I don't use this way, but only for deployment of finished documents.

Matthias, I do just want to personally express some measure of apology to you for the "tough crowd" treatment. Of course I realize that delivery of Quark's message is a job you do, and while I'm somewhat contentious about Quark and its ability to compete with InDesign at this point in their respective histories (actually, it appears its being positioned to offer features intended to replace InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop in a typical workflow), I respect your efforts to do your job, even in this relatively hostile environment.

Comment

I'll concede on the artboard size. But again, way too late for my niche.

InDesign does convert .ai and .eps to editable objects, though like HB mentions, .EPS is a format that should be discontinued.
                          As for PDFs, even in Adobe products converting a PDF to editable objects is still a bad idea. Especially when compounding known transparency issues on all fronts. I don't edit PDFs in Illustrator and will only do simple, non-file-threatening fixes in Acrobat or Pitstop. I would hope there is at least a missing font message that comes up in Quark on doing this, along with color profile mismatches.

- Copy and paste a path (or multiple bezier elements) from Affinity, Illustrator and others to QuarkXPress and continue to edit them. Works also with 2D charts from MS Excel
                          Indesign will take a copy and paste path, shape or logo from Illustrator and keep it as editable bezier with spot colors intact. Do it all the time. As for Affinity and others, can't say I've had the need to try. If you copy and paste anything from a Microsoft product and expect it to keep its formatting (not to mention its RGB color space) have at it.

- Footnotes AND endnotes
                          No, indesign doesn't support endnotes, but there are simple scripts that work and very easy to find. Kinda like always having to add Badia FullMeasure to Quark for added necessary functionality.

- Convert print into HTML5 publications (e.g. for flipbooks)
                          I'm not 100% sure I'd want to do it this way, and I haven't checked the new 2017 Publish Online functions of Indesign to see if I'd want to do it that way either. Most "converters" write messy code.

- Item Styles that can carry partial attributes
                          No idea why it's an issue at Object level styling.

- Margin alignment that you can specify yourself (amount, for which characters etc)
                          Not sure what issue this is meant to solve. Control of hang on justification?

- Edit kerning pairs
                          I'm fairly certain Indesign does this in GREP

- Export PDF as grayscale
                          Indesign does this if you properly spec your destination profile on export.

History is what it's all about.
                          For years Quark dissed its users, had terrible and often rude product support, and like Adobe, offers features that make life difficult for output vendors.
                          You have to overcome that with a lot of people. Not just me.

But I'm with HotButton.
                          Kudos for stepping into a lion's den.
                          Tell you what. Over the weekend, if there is a free trial available, I will look at it.
                          Last edited by PrintDriver; 03-09-2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

+2 On stepping into the lion's den.

I too remember Quark's arrogance in the late 1990's. I met a Quark rep at a Trade show a decade ago who admitted to Quark's arrogance. He said that Quark was going through a cultural change. I think it may have been too late then. But nonetheless, I bought a Quark upgrade then and (as mentioned) haven't used it at all for anything since. Fool me once... etc.

Personally, I'd like to see Adobe's monopoly threatened by anyone, including Quark. I still wear my Quark T-shirt in public that I got free from that trade show. But I've yet to see a reason to upgrade anything from anyone. The only thing that would force me to spend money on any graphic art software today is a lack of compatibility with printers or a tool that makes it so I don't have to worry about any technical difficulties ever again.

The last major graphic art software purchases I made was Adobe Creative suite 5.5 and Adobe E-Learning Suite 6. I knew then that those were going to be the last graphic art suites I'd buy because of Adobe's move to the software rental business model. When I can't get by with either of those purchased, I will retire completely from the biz. This probably makes ownership of software Quark's biggest selling point. But that's not enough to compete with Adobe.

Quark is doomed as long as it must rely on Adobe's proprietary standards. What Quark needs is a "must have" innovation of it's own that relies on a proprietary standard from Quark. But I doubt that will happen as long as the world is moving towards open standards. Most electronic display standards are open. Eventually, open standards may eventually mean the end of Adobe's monopoly on print technology.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                            Working...
                            X