QuarkXPress 2017 introduced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for the warm welcome ;-)

designzombie, I disagree that Quark should develop its won proprietary technology to make customers dependent. I think that's a thing of the 80's or 90's. Quark believes in ISO standards, so that why we base everything on PDF, HTML5 etc. Our App publishing technology is everywhere HTML5 where possible, only where needed we use Apple's or Google's technology.

And we have many customers purchasing and using QuarkXPress for exactly the reason you described, that we make you give us money by compelling features, offering timesavers, something that you find useful, so that you feel value in return for your money. And not having to pay, just because we have a monopoly.

PrintDriver, cheers, appreciate you testing. If you have any issues or need a longer test drive, let me know please. There's a three-day trial you can download yourself and a 30-day trial that you can apply for. That's true for all of you.

About the feature of InDesign that you described, sure, workarounds are always possible. But if that's acceptable, then QuarkXPress 3 would still work today, as in the 90's for almost everything there was an XTension / plug-in. Why was transparency in InDesign such a game changer? Because you could do it right in your layout and see the effects without having to switch back and forth.

And that's the same with Image Editing in QuarkXPress 2017. Sharpening of images just before you output? Sure, you could do a batch run in Photoshop. Or sharper while you edit images. Trend is late binding though, that's why we nowadays use PDF workflows. So with QuarkXPress 2017 no need to go back to Photoshop or whatever you use. Just before output, sharpen all. Or apply an effect that you can evaluate in the layout. Non-destructive. Or use the same image at two different places in your layout but have it brighter when it is smaller and darker when it is larger.

I'll sign off for a week now, happy to continue the discussion when I am back. Thanks.
    Last edited by mguenther; 03-10-2017, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Ok, now you're being funny.
      Sharpen all?
      People don't take enough pride in their work to source proper photos and front-end them first? Or is everything becoming so slap-dash, make it work, OMG our print deadline was yesterday, that just being able to apply a global fix and cross fingers is the way to go? Not very professional.

And still you aren't answering the question. Where does this changing take place? The link itself is changed? Or is the image embedded and kept in stasis within the layout itself, and bloating file size in the process? Rip time is money time.

I don't particularly care. I print whatever a client sends me in whatever layout program they send it to me, and proof the parts that are suspect. If there is time.
      It's just the sad state of the design field that requires such measures.

Now if Quark were to add a push button that extends bleeds when there aren't any (up to at least 2", not a measly 3mm,) I'd buy it in a split second. LOL.
      Because even if there were such a button, no one but a printer would use it these days.
      I flipped probably over 100 print files this week with not a single bleed in the lot.
      (sigh)

Comment

I appreciate Quark's willingness to comply with open standards and sell its product on awesome "must have" features alone. But PDF is not exactly an open standard:

https://talkingpdf.org/is-pdf-an-open-standard/

As for the "must have" features, I haven't seen any in the last decade. Again, I've been there and done that with Quark 8.1. Export to HTML5 is tempting, but not tempting enough. When someone shows me a GUI dynamic layout editor that's fully WYSIWYM and doesn't require me to know a single line of code for full compatibility for both print and electronic display on every platform, I might be willing to invest in software again. Till then, I'll be getting by with my existing purchases and my workarounds, if not retiring. And Quark is more likely to get me as an R&D employee than as a customer.

Comment

Hi all,

last week QuarkXPress 2017 has been released.

Cheers
          Matthias
          Last edited by KitchWitch; 05-29-2017, 09:08 AM. Reason: no advertising

Comment

Originally posted by mguenther View Post
            Hi all,

last week QuarkXPress 2017 has been released.

Cheers
            Matthias
            Matthias! Funny meeting you here!

-Erik
            Erik Youngren Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
            2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

Originally posted by mguenther View Post
              Last edited by KitchWitch; Today, 03:08 PM. Reason: no advertising
              No advertising??? So when a new Mac is released you also wouldn't allow to link to Apple's website and its specs there?

Cheers
              Matthias

Comment

• PrintDriver
                PrintDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                The next time someone from Apple shows up here and tries to post a link, we'll find out.

• KitchWitch
                KitchWitch commented
                Editing a comment
                No, we wouldn't.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
              Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
              PanToshi
              Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
              Today, 03:46 PM
            • PanToshi
              Reply to Looking for comments
              PanToshi
              Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
              Today, 03:46 PM
            • PanToshi
              Reply to Flyer Crtitique
              PanToshi
              Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
              Today, 03:40 PM
            • HotButton
              Reply to Flyer Crtitique
              HotButton
              There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
              Today, 03:36 PM
            • pobrien
              Flyer Crtitique
              pobrien
              Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
              Today, 01:12 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X