Quark multiple language error?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quark multiple language error?

I tried to open a current Quark project I'm working on and got an error message that says "This is a multiple language document and can only be opened in QuarkXPress Passport. [287]" What the heck does that mean and how do I get my file to open? Other Quark documents in my files open fine. Please help. Thanks.

Originally posted by seaweedsoup View Post
    I tried to open a current Quark project I'm working on and got an error message that says "This is a multiple language document and can only be opened in QuarkXPress Passport. [287]" What the heck does that mean and how do I get my file to open? Other Quark documents in my files open fine. Please help. Thanks.
    Did you create this document? On the face of it it sounds like it's been created (or edited) in QuarkXPress Passport (the multi-language version of Xpress) and saved just as that - i.e. a Multi-Language file. It can only be opened by another version of XPress Passport.

This is a common I.Q. problem with people who use XPress Passport, the option to save as a Single Language file is there and should be set as default - but somehow this escapes them!!

You'll need someone with a copy of Passport to re-open the file and re-save it as a Single Language for you.
    Last edited by Jonski3000; 10-11-2008, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I have the same problem with a file I sent out to a graphics company. Well it's their problem really, not my client. My question is, I know this file was created and updated yearly with a non-passport version of Quark. I think the file is 2 or 3 years old. So what? Quark just metamorphoses into a multi-lingual Passport v. if it lies dormant for a few years? Quark actually mutates?

Comment

Originally posted by Pointyhat View Post
        I have the same problem with a file I sent out to a graphics company. Well it's their problem really, not my client. My question is, I know this file was created and updated yearly with a non-passport version of Quark. I think the file is 2 or 3 years old. So what? Quark just metamorphoses into a multi-lingual Passport v. if it lies dormant for a few years? Quark actually mutates?
        Are you actually 100% positively sure that someone with a version of Passport has not opened that file somewhere along the line?

Comment

100%. It's lived on the same g4 with the same Quark serial number since 2005. So it was either created in 6 or 6.5. The only difference in the machine is the upgrade to OSX. It's a OS9 doc without the suffix.

Comment

So the problem is at the graphics company when they are trying to open the file?

This is only the second time I've ever come across this (both with version 6). The last time the cause [might have been] a Micro$haft Word dictionary that was still being recognized in some some imported text.

Comment

Well, we both had the same problem. I told them when I sent it I couldn't open it. Imported text may be the culprit. Although the thought of Quack lying dormant and mutating over several years is way more fun to think about.

Comment

Not a Passport Document

I created the document in Quark 6.5. It hasn't been off my desktop. Like another post said, it just "mutated" into a multi-language document. I think the problem might stem from importing a client-created Word text file directly into my document and bringing with it style sheets and other crap that confused Quark.

Comment

Originally posted by seaweedsoup View Post
                  I think the problem might stem from importing a client-created Word text file directly into my document and bringing with it style sheets and other crap that confused Quark.
                  That runs with my theory concerning what happened when I came across this before. So I just did a little test.

Created an Xpress (v6) document.
                  Typed some text.
                  Made sure it was saved as a single language file (I have Passport).
                  Closed it down and then reopened it.
                  Imported some copy from Word.
                  Saved it again.
                  Everything fine!

Opened Word and added a custom dictionary (and added Spanish - as if it matters!!)
                  Opened the Xpress document again and imported some more copy from Word.

This time when saving, up came the Save As dialogue box and it had changed to Multi Language. When I changed the option to Single Language I was told that the document couldn't be saved as Single Language because it contained multiple languages and did I want to change it to a single language of my choice and get rid of the other ones.

Now if you're using Xpress Standard you wouldn't have got the option to save as a Single Language so that looks like this is what happened to your document.

This only happened in v6. Looks like v7 and v8 are fine.

Now thinking about it, the other time that I came across this was at a company that positively discouraged the passing of copy from writer to layout artist in native Word format - everything had to be saved and past through as Rich Text files. It wasn't until this problem (and others) appeared that it was discovered that a new guy was sending his work through natively.

The only solution is to get someone with Passport to strip out those extra languages and save it back for you. PM me if you need help!
                  Last edited by Jonski3000; 10-11-2008, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I know this in an old thread, but I came across it while Googling for solutions to this problem. The languages issue coming from importing Word text makes sense, but I have an extra layer of confusion to add.

We have a Quark document that was created in 6 and edited in 8. Quark was crashing when I tried to print the document in 8, so I tried opening it in 6 and got the error message you guys are talking about: "This is a multiple language document and can only be opened in QuarkXPress Passport."

However, I can open the document in Quark 8. I just can't print it. When I try, Quark crashes and this error pops up in Notepad:

-----

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
                    %%[ Error: ioerror; OffendingCommand: readstring ]%%

Stack:

(EEDFFEDDDEEDDDFEDDEEFFEDDEFGHFDFGEDDDDDDDDEEDDFED DDFDDDDEDDFEEEFEEEEEDEEEDFFHIJL=\)$  %!"$%$" #$&&&\(%" "%&\(\(\(\(&#! "&\(\(\(\(\(\)\(\(&#!!$&\(\)\)*+++*\)*\(\(\(%%'\(\ (*++++*+++*\)\)\(%$%%\(*\)\)++++*+++-,+*\)\(&\(\(\)\)...)
                    -file-
                    -save-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
                    %%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

-----

When I try to print to our regular printer (PS), Quark crashes, and the printer spits out a messed up version of the document along with this error message:

-----

ERROR: ioerror
                    OFFENDING COMMAND: readstring

STACK:

(

)
                    -filestream-
                    -savelevel-

-----

I'm pretty much resigned to rebuilding the document from scratch, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

Comment

In case anyone stumbles across this, I figured out that the problem I was having in the above post was due to .tiff files saved with LZW (or LWZ? can't remember what it is) compression. I resaved them without compression, and then the files worked. Strange.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X