What do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use?

Im currently doing a project in university, and have been asked to find out which programme people use (company wise) when designing a magazine.
    Design is the wrong word.. it's more to create page layout, do you use InDesign, or stick to the good old Quark, or are there any other similar programs out there that you find better...

It's more of a poll than a Thread, but i wanted to hear people's opinions on the subject aswell as their choice of program..
    Thankooooo
    Im a =unique individual=
    But then again... Aren't we all?

ID for me.

CNIC - noun [see - nick]
    1. An American "nick" name for me to use on the GDF.
    2. Designer, Developer, Carpenter, Painter, Sexy... just plain sexy.
    3. One that does not like green eggs and ham. Seriously, I have very strict breakfast rules.
    For more on CNIC, see the unabridged collegiate dictionary. Or call the President.

Comment

Why? Is it cheaper, or is it easy to use if you've already mingled with Adobe's Programs before?
      Im a =unique individual=

Comment

We used to use Quark at work all the time, but within the last 6 month we have started to use InDesign more regularly. And as of Jan 2009 we are using InDesign exclusively. Why? Cost... Quark x 30 designers = to much $. Plus InDesign integrates with the other Adobe products so well. Color profile matching, drag and drop from Bridge... It will just work out better for us in the long run.
        Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Most of the people using Quark now have a legacy of files they have to maintain or have clients that have Quark file submission requirements. But some designers simply prefer Quark.
          Some prefer InDesign.
          I print. I use both.

For your next assignment,
          find out what a new non-upgrade of Quark costs.
          What do you get for that money.
          Now check the new non-upgrade cost of Adobe CS4 Design Premium (what a page layout person would use).
          What do you get for that money?
          Designers can do that math.
          <dodging bricks>
          Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-02-2008, 07:13 PM.

Comment

So, in a nutshell, the world's gone Adobe crazy??
            Im a =unique individual=

Comment

As for learning Quark in order to be 'serious about design', there's serious as in someone's biased leaning that is being forced on you, and there is serious as in being well rounded. If you know InDesign and have at least been exposed to Quark, they are not all that different. If you are good at InDesign, within a week you'll be good at Quark.

But a note to the wise, Quark has print issues. It has transparency issues. It has native PDF issues. Those are the things your teachers need to be teaching you to avoid, use properly and the workarounds you may need to know.

On the other hand, InDesign can be used to create a totally unprintable file too. Very easily.

Comment

The world has not gone Adobe Crazy. Quark dozed off. Adobe bought Macromedia. Adobe has created a monopoly while Quark was pissing off its customer base in various ways and putting out a couple of crazy unstable versions that drove printers to tears.

Again, I'm not saying InD is any better, in the wrong hands, but that's true of any software.
                Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-02-2008, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Haha! Honestly, ive learnt more by reading around these forums, that 3 years of study! education system sucks!
                  Im a =unique individual=

Comment

than* 3 years study.
                    As for the adobe vs quark argument, it all sounds pretty straight forward, and yet nothing is, there's always drawbacks to everything. I suppose its good to know and be able to use both, but at the end of the day, isn't it who you're working for that has the final say ?
                    Im a =unique individual=

Comment

The QvID debate is beaten to death. Don't even bring it up.

Yes, it does depend on who you work for. Whether you work in house or freelance.

What do you do if you are a freelancer and the client needs a file sent to a publisher in native Quark only. No PDF. What do you do if you only have InDesign? Or vice-versa. It would probably be an odd occurrence these days I'm sure... It seems that mostly lately the designer gets to choose the software they use and it's the printers that pick up the pieces.
                      <sigh>

Comment

Going off topic slightly though!.. lol

People Quark or ID.. Or other. please state!

xx Thank you lovely people!
                        Im a =unique individual=

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                          The world has not gone Adobe Crazy. Quark dozed off. Adobe bought Macromedia. Adobe has created a monopoly while Quark was pissing off its customer base in various ways and putting out a couple of crazy unstable versions that drove printers to tears.

Again, I'm not saying InD is any better, in the wrong hands, but that's true of any software.
                          Amen, but I will go so far as to say that I find ID more intuitive to use ie. duplicating or outlining fonts and the color palette is a dream compared to Quark. Quark 4.1 was the last great Quark incarnation and it was the last one I bought. I will be buying CS4.

Comment

For most of my design work, whether magazine, ad, flyer, web work-- whatever; the program I rely most on is the illustration program I attended at Sheridan College in Ontario, from 1980-83. Yes, it was expensive, but it taught me design fundamentals, typography, print production, some art history, drawing and painting, and how to think visually. Best of all, this program is platform and media independent and as a bonus, it came with a life-long self-upgrade policy.

Comment

and as for me, indesign is a lot more easier to handle than quark. maybe because i never liked quark, so we didn't really "blend". we hate each other.
                              sigpic

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
                                Reply to What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?
                                Glitchin
                                Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

Also Pretty Much...
                                Today, 03:55 PM
                              • Glitchin
                                Comment on Logo Feedback
                                Glitchin
                                I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. &quot;They provided me a Logo they want it...
                                Today, 03:24 PM
                              • Glitchin
                                Reply to Critique Please?
                                Glitchin
                                This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
                                Today, 02:58 PM
                              • Glitchin
                                Comment on Critique Please?
                                Glitchin
                                Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
                                Today, 02:54 PM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                                PrintDriver
                                Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
                                Today, 12:42 PM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X