pc to mac

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc to mac

im using quarks on a pc but the printers we use use macs. When i send my printing to the printers i send them the quarks files so they can change a feu things they need for printing. i do the collect for output and give them the quark file report images and fonts as normal.

the problem is when the printers open the quarks file some fonts are different on the mac! they seem a more heavy font and some text is jumping.

any one know why this is happening. the fonts are TT times and TT arial. any way of fixing this as it is causing the printers loads of work

any ideas??

ps no i cant just send them a PDF

Are you collecting the fonts for output too? If not send them the fonts that you used and make sure they used those, they're substituting fonts and that's the problem. As long at they're TT there shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

It depends on how old the TT fonts are. They haven't always been cross platform. You'll have better luck using OpenType fonts.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Supply the printer with your fonts, however it is the printer's responsibility to match your file. Supply them with a set of lasers and or a pdf for them to match. Or you could supply them with a print ready pdf. The printer may have the ability to make changes to your pdf using pdf editing software. There is that possibility the printer does have a pc but would rather use the Mac instead. They may make the excuse that they have an older version of Quark on the PC thus they can not open your Quark file.
        WYSIWYG

Comment

It just sounds like they aren't subbing your own tt fonts. Or if they are, the mac isn't reading the kerning pairs properly. Text jumping can be a version problem too. Or if you are by any chance sending Quark .eps conversions.

Jimking, is it really up to the printer to match a file if the sender isn't following guidelines? Particularly if the guideline says anything with regards to PC fonts? We had to change ours recently to request OpenType fonts for PC files but TTs still seem to work most times.

Comment

I think if a pdf or hardcopy has been supplied, then yes I believe it is the printers responsibility.

Comment

If you send me a scaled illustrator file using filters instead of effects, who's fault are the block pixels? Am I supposed to redraw your file to match your 8" x 10" hardcopy?

There's a bit of give and take here. It's up to the printer to try, but it's also up to the printer to call if something isn't working out right. Then I would hope the designer could help a little more than saying, "I drew it, you print it."

Comment

You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard this. I don't believe the
                client is at fault most of the time when they play that card though. My boss
                needs to charge more for troubleshooting IMO.

Comment

Troubleshooting is a huge part of prepress. You don't want to turn off clients by telling em 'you can't'. You do it. Somehow. But, sometimes a file can be made that just plain doesn't print right. At what point do you go back to the client and say, "you need to do this THIS way from the beginning"?

A little off topic, and not a big help to the OP but it is a curious question.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                    At what point do you go back to the client and say, "you need to do this THIS way from the beginning"?
                    I want to know as soon as you have time to tell me. I don't expect you to spend hours teaching me, but I want to know what went wrong and what to do differently next time. I try never to make the same mistake twice.
                    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

You would be in the minority Garricks, I'm sure.
                      I had to quit a few forums before I found this place cuz the designers didn't want to 'hear it' from a mere production monkey (a term by the way which I embrace wholeheartedly in the right vocal intonation. )

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                        If you send me a scaled illustrator file using filters instead of effects, who's fault are the block pixels? Am I supposed to redraw your file to match your 8" x 10" hardcopy?

There's a bit of give and take here. It's up to the printer to try, but it's also up to the printer to call if something isn't working out right. Then I would hope the designer could help a little more than saying, "I drew it, you print it."
                        You're right in that instance, I was speaking in terms of the OP's Quark file/type problem. With a hard copy the prepress op can see what's going wrong with the file

Comment

I'm in the minority with garricks as well, PD, I guess. I want to know the minute something I send to a printer requires them to do something beyond their normal pre-press due diligence. So I know not to send them a file that way in the future. Honestly, this is a pet peeve of mine, where the printer will just fix something, and not tell me, and I keep sending them the same thing that they keep fixing. It irks me, maybe because I used to do pre-press.

That being said, if you're sending a file to a printer that you suspect is outside of their normal workflow (as in PC files/fonts going to a printer that uses Macs), it's important to note that somewhere, and let them know that they shouldn't just substitute Mac fonts for the PC fonts you've sent. This is where hard copies of your job become important.

However, this also reminds me of a situation with a former client at my agency. They were creating template files in Quark 6, on a PC, but needed us to flow in the copy for them from their templates. The agency went out and bought a PC and a copy of Quark just for the purpose of working with this client's files. Turns out the printer we sent them to was in a Mac workflow, needed me to save the Quark files down to v5 from the PC, so they could open them up in Quark v5 on their Mac. Had I known that, I would have just worked with them on a Mac in the first place!
                          "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

I think I've said this before at GDF, but it bears repeating. I have a lot of respect for Prepress...I may make it pretty, but prepress makes it work.

The prime example that comes to mind was when InDesign added transparency. I had a spot color job that completely failed in proofing, and it was the prepress folks who figured out the limitations of transparency and got my job printed. They were rewarded with my thanks and a box of Krispy Kremes.

IMHO, we're a team.

(I wonder where the OP is?)

Comment

I do both where I work (design & pre press). Sometimes it can be difficult - when you ring a client to explain what needs doing, sometimes they just don't understand what you are talking about, perhaps the job's super urgent so it's simpler just to fix it! I'd love to have clients like you guys who are interested in what went wrong and knowing how to fix it! I've had a few occasions where a 'GD' talked down to me as if I were a blithering idiot...along the lines of "Do you have illustrator? Do you KNOW how to open it?" and tried to tell me what the problem was...and they didn't have a clue... ramble ramble....

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Breanne.C
                                Reply to Helloooooo!
                                Breanne.C
                                Actually, I do have a print related issue if you'd like to take a stab at helping me with. Should I post in the correct category with the issue and picture that goes with it?
                                Yesterday, 10:29 PM
                              • Breanne.C
                                Reply to Font ID Please
                                Breanne.C
                                Oh yeah.

Catorze27 Style 1 Bold best matched it, for the exception of the M, which I easily was able to fix....
                                Yesterday, 10:14 PM
                              • B
                                Reply to Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
                                B
                                You'll need to add an email address for interested designers to contact you and work out details offline.
                                Yesterday, 04:34 PM
                              • Peter3v
                                Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
                                Peter3v
                                Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm the owner of a recruitment company whom has a logo that they are happy with BUT would like the name of the recruitment business to be to the immediate right of the logo...
                                Yesterday, 12:40 PM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Poster for a school project
                                PrintDriver
                                Still doesn't help the student figure out how to come up with a viable concept. If they had done even the tiniest bit of research, your ''concept'' would have been easily discovered. It's on just about...
                                Yesterday, 06:54 AM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X