Printer Error 8877

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer Error 8877

A co-worker is having an issue in our office (now please keep in mind, there are two companies here, the co-worker does not work for mine, but I help out with IT for them from time to time because their IT is halfway across the country). So please don't tell me to not use Quark 4.1 or upgrade etc. as that is not an option and it's not my company to put pressure on.

Okay... on to the problem...
    When trying to print from Quark 4.1 from Classic (running on a, I think, Tiger OS) she is getting an error called -8877. It's printing to a HP 4300 model printer.
    I can't seem to find any literature on why this is happening... nor can I figure it out.
    Right now I have got her printing to PDF and then printing to the printer and that works. So the printer works overall it just doesn't like our Quark file.
    Any suggestions?
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Sometimes you just can't cross the Classic/OSX barrierr due to drivers and chooser settings. And it may be an HP thing too.
    I have the same problem and use the same solution when using Quark 4.1 and an HP at home. Checking here at work. Gimme a few.

Comment

Ah. I believe you have to have a Classic driver loaded and it has to be selectable from the Classic Apple menu dropdown Chooser in order to print. Check that.
      It prints to an old Applewriter laser we have through classic but won't touch the Epson.
      <Yes I still have 4.1 and classic on an old machine here. You'd be suprised............>

Comment

thanks PD I'll check out the drivers and see.
        I am told that it "used to work" at some point. But who knows what that means.

Comment

Originally posted by Audentia View Post
          thanks PD I'll check out the drivers and see.
          I am told that it "used to work" at some point. But who knows what that means.
          When they upgraded the OS to Tiger, I bet.
          WYSIWYG

Comment

Tiger should still be ok as it still supports Classic. Leopard would be another story.

Comment

Yeah on my side of the office we already upgraded to Leopard... and ditched classic entirely. It was a great day.

But these guys are on a tighter budget and are dealing with more corporate politics than I do... which sucks for them.

I have since learned that in fact it hasn't printed in a long time... they just thought it had once I talked to a few more people.
              But thanks guys. I am almost positive it's the drivers now on Tiger...and will see if I can get them the proper one.

Comment

I think it's more the drivers in Classic. You may have to get both.

Comment

When you say "in Classic" does that mean she's still booted into Tiger? When I still had a Mac with both OS9 and X on it, and did anything in Quark 4.1, I used to boot up in 9 rather than try to operate in Classic. Quark 4.1 was super buggy in Classic.
                  "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile View Post
                    When you say "in Classic" does that mean she's still booted into Tiger? When I still had a Mac with both OS9 and X on it, and did anything in Quark 4.1, I used to boot up in 9 rather than try to operate in Classic. Quark 4.1 was super buggy in Classic.
                    ROFLMAO! (at myself) I've been reading along with this, and it's just occurred to me that since I'm running Leopard on my work machine, it's probably OK for me to uninstall Quark 4.1 (the last version we bought prior to moving to Indesign). <gigglesnort>
                    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Anything much beyond an old Mirror Door G4 1 gig DP does not dual boot. I have one of the last MDD model dual booties here at home. Mostly to play old games in OS9.

Comment

Didn't know that PD. Last time I had the both on one computer was an iBook G3, about 4 years ago. OS9 was also resident on the computer, so I would just boot in that if I needed to work with Quark 4.1, working with Quark 4.1 in Classic was just way too buggy.
                        "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

Originally posted by urstwile View Post
                          Yep still booted into Tiger.

The whole entire situation has caused some grief... and after finally talking to their IT guy in the east I have convinced them to fix their damn script for InDesign so that they can at least get rid of Quark (all layouts are done in InDesign now, they just had script problems with downloading content off the main website and keeping style sheets).
                          Anyhow... long story short... while she won't get a better computer than the dinosaur she has at least maybe I can get her out of Quark and classic and into just Tiger and InDesign.

Again thanks for all your help on this one.

And Garricks... that is really funny that you have leopard now and still have your Quark 4.1 loaded... it's just eating up space.

Comment

Well, it's a boring story, suffice to say my upgrade to Leopard wasn't very orderly...it was an emergency. So neither the Apple guy nor I paid attention to classic apps. I have to remember to look tomorrow and get rid of any Classic remnants.
                            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KitchWitch
                              Reply to Illustrator - Recolouring a vector remains in grayscale
                              KitchWitch
                              Hi Keluitry and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                              Today, 07:39 AM
                            • KitchWitch
                              Reply to Career advice
                              KitchWitch
                              Hi Virindi and welcome to GDF.

I agree with PD, job titles differ from one place to another now. The word associate could mean you're a junior-level designer, or it could mean you're a partner...
                              Today, 07:36 AM
                            • KitchWitch
                              Reply to Copyright question - images taken from other websites
                              KitchWitch
                              I'm not a lawyer and not in Australia, so I can only tell you what I would do here in the U.S. I would contact both websites asking permission to use those photos and how they would like them credited....
                              Today, 07:31 AM
                            • mixlikes
                              Reply to What do you think about my new web site?
                              mixlikes
                              The website is good with high download speed. As well site is neat and clean.
                              Today, 07:14 AM
                            • PrintDriver
                              Reply to Career advice
                              PrintDriver
                              Titles mean nothing any more. When little Johnny's mummy and daddy are calling his boss after 6 months wondering why little Johnny hasn't been promoted yet, job titles tend to get created. (No joke. I've...
                              Today, 06:21 AM
                            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                            Working...
                            X