Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quark images!!

Hey guys!
    I'm just getting back into Print again after a couple of years doing web design, and have just got Quark 7. Anyhow I'm not 100% sure which images import best - any ideas? I imported a JPEG but it would only scale down to a certain size before it would not scale to fit the picture box.

I've tried EPS files but they turn out rubbish on print (unless im doing something wrong) and it's the same with TIFFS. I'm using Illustrator to create the files before exporting them. Is photoshop the best program to use? Any help would be a massive help!! please!! I hate being out of the game for a while - you lose track of everything!

Many Thanks!!
    Diego

For bitmap based images, tifs are preferred as they aren't a lossy format like jpeg. (Each time a jpg is saved it loses some image data.)

Quark can only scale an image down to 10%. After that you'll have to reopen the image in PhotoShop and resize manually. One thing that could be making your images overly large in Quark is if you're bring them in at 72 dpi. As a general rule of thumb you'll want to be working with 300 dpi images.

Quark prints poorly to non-Postscript printers. For vector images placed in Quark, eps format is the way to go. Otherwise you should be using PhotoShop. The only time you would want to save a bitmap based image as an eps is if it's a PhotoShop duotone image.

Comment

For bitmap images use Photoshop, use tiffs or eps, preferably tiffs.

For vector images use Illustrator and save them as eps - an illustrator eps is different to photoshop eps, also , don't open the illustrator eps in photoshop.

I'm not sure if Quark will import PDFs ok.

The reason they are printing badly could be down to either your printer itself - being postscript or non-postscript can cause bad looking images.

If you are exporting from Illustrator make sure your Document Raster Effects are set to 300 dpi or higher.

Make sure you're exporting your images at 300 dpi. If it's line art make sure it's 1200 dpi.

If it's still printing out bad, the print the file to a postscript and open Acrobat Distiller (if you have it) and then create a PDF using one of the high quality settings and see if you can print that with improvements to quality.

If the quality is still bad it's probably because the images are poor quality.

I'm sure others will have more insight, I haven't used Quark in about 4 years.

InDesign is my friend.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

@Yossarian - SNAP!

Comment

LOL. Eugene did you just snap me in the bum?

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
            LOL. Eugene did you just snap me in the bum?
            A gentleman would never do that, just as a gentleman would never wear his jetpack inside.

Comment

Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
              I'm not sure if Quark will import PDFs ok.

It will in my experience thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by artgem1984 View Post
                It will in my experience thus far.

Is it exporting or printing to pdf - is what my query was

In InDesign you can export OR print to pdf. I'm not quite sure I remember about Quark. I just remember it was a PITA to make a decent pdf.

Comment

One other point about images printing poorly from Quark is to make sure your images are linked and updated from a modification, if not they will print poorly. You can place pdfs in Quark 7. I always print to ps and distill all Quark to pdf files, regardless. However, I do export out of Indy with no issues.
                  WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
                    Is it exporting or printing to pdf - is what my query was

In InDesign you can export OR print to pdf. I'm not quite sure I remember about Quark. I just remember it was a PITA to make a decent pdf.
                    I see, I read it as how PDF's import into Quark! Oops.

I agree with above for Quark - I always print and distill, I've had minimum of problems this way (any issues that come up tend to be my own fault - like I've clicked separations or something) and it's always best to check your links in utilities before you do so.

Also I export to PDF using InDesign, with no issues.

Comment

I dumped Quark a year or so ago so the last version I used was 6.something. To make pdf files I had to export as .eps and then create pdf's from that in Acrobat. PITA but that may have been addressed in later Quark versions.

InDesign rocks my world now.
                      This siggy intentionally left blank so as not to upset anyone for any reason.

Comment

If I'm going to use distiller I'll export as a .ps (postscript) out of Quark.

However, I print straight to PDF from Quark all the time with no problem.
                        Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                        mediamainline.com
                        cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

I do same as NED use .ps out of Quark or print as pdf not really prob....

Comment

Sometimes Quark will sit there generating a PS, blue bar slowly creeping forward, only for no actual PS file to exist in the output folder, and half an hour wasted.

Since then Ive been using the Export to PDF feature, which seems to work without issues.

Or I can just use Indesign which never makes ghost PDFs.

Comment

This thing about quark not changing an image less than 10%. Where is that coming from?
                              When we do large format in Quark, we work in scale. I've placed images at 50% or less at times. Granted, images are usually .eps format if scaling but still...

Quark has a stupid habit of not relaying all of the information in a tif at scale (unless you manually tell it to). Is that where the 10% thing comes from?

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Craig B
                                Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                Craig B
                                I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
                                Today, 10:46 AM
                              • Colton819
                                Reply to Getting a image ready for print
                                Colton819
                                So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
                                Today, 08:47 AM
                              • leaagg
                                Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                leaagg
                                Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
                                I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
                                Today, 07:57 AM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
                                PrintDriver
                                Do people still use QR codes?
                                Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
                                Today, 07:06 AM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Comment on Getting a image ready for print
                                PrintDriver
                                Way too much sharing there, hank..........
                                Today, 06:51 AM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X