X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting English to Spanish

Windows XP
    QXP 6.5

I've got a brochure that our customer has made revisions to. Finished with those and am waiting for approval. Now they want a spanish version as well. I've tried the Goog to no result.

There can't be a plug in, or some kind of converter to make this easy could there?
    I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

They want you to convert it from English to Spanish?

Hire a translator to typeset it in Spanish. Charge client.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Yeah, I highly doubt there is a plugin for this. There only like at least 10 different variations of "spanish". Brazilian, Spain, Mexican, Central American, Columbian... They all vary slightly depending on where you are from.
      Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Ditto. My wife is a native Spanish speaker. There is definitely nothing that automates. Babelfish can sometimes be a good way to translate something from another language into English just to get the gist of something, but it should definitely never be used in place of using a translation service.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

do you mean a plugin to translate the text for you? I wouldn't think so. Online translation programs do an ok job of translating some things (single words, or giving an idea of what is meant by a certain text), but I would never rely on one to accurately translate text for a professional situation. Many words have several meanings and an automated translator frequently chooses the "wrong" one for the situation due to the grammatical differences between languages (not to mention idioms, expressions, and slang). Other words are not recognized by the translation program and are just left as they appear in the original language, as though they were proper nouns.

If the client wants to have a spanish version, they should provide the spanish copy themselves, or if they want you/your company to handle the translation, you may need to hire a qualified translator.
          "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I kind of figured. After I posted I remembered that our sister shop in Burley, which has a very high Mexican population, used to have a chick that typeset their stuff in spanish. I think she still freelances for them. I'm waiting for their reply right now.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Comment

Please don't ever use an online or a computer application translator to translate text for ad copy. lol... Always hire a translator - they're easy to find and not a great expense.
              Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
              mediamainline.com
              cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Ned View Post
                Please don't ever use an online or a computer application translator to translate text for ad copy. lol... Always hire a translator - they're easy to find and not a great expense.
                Message received. Our Burley plant does have a girl that sets in spanish. I was hoping for an easy way out. Should've known better.

Comment

And it shouldn't always be a literal translation. When we do bilingual exhibits, it's very important to get the right tone and idioms across as well as the information. And always figure a 25% -30% over-run on the amount of translated text you get back.

Comment

"...used to have a chick that typeset their stuff in spanish
                    Our Burley plant does have a girl that sets in spanish."

Hmm don't they hire any WOMEN?

Comment

Naw, women are too old for the job. They get the boot when they reach that age.

What I use online translators for, by the way, is to double-check copy I'm not sure about, to make sure it matches the English. That's after it's already been properly translated...
                      Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
                      mediamainline.com
                      cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Originally posted by CMYK girl View Post
                        "...used to have a chick that typeset their stuff in spanish
                        Our Burley plant does have a girl that sets in spanish."

Hmm don't they hire any WOMEN?
                        Did I say chick? I meant chicken, Trained chicken. Pecking away like mad. Pollo con Quark.

Comment

Wow would I like to work there, lawsuit city, retirement funds...

Comment

OK, sexist language or not, let's stay on topic please.
                            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

i use app sherlock (mac. now 'translation' in dashboard). i dont know if theres a PC version. although you have to rephrase the sentence in straight english otherwise it will result to garbled translation. (btw its internet dependent).
                              Last edited by ronaldo; 07-20-2009, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X