Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print Quark 6 Spread in Linear Format

Hi,

Our resident graphic designer has left the company and i'm manning the fort. Eek!

I have a 20 page Quark 6 document that I would like to print to PDF. It is currently set up as an A4 spread with pages 20 and 1 on the first page, 19 & 2 on 2nd etc.

This is fine for printing to a printer but I would like to print it out to pdf. I do this by going 'file\layout as pdf', and outputting a .ps file to the desktop. I then drag it into Adobe Distiller and it makes the pdf for me. Unfortunately, it only produces a 10 page document, complete in spread format.

How do I change it so I can print the pages out in linear fashion: 1,2,3,4 etc?

Thanks

Somewhere in your dialogue box is a box to check for spreads, uncheck this box. Because the document was set up in printer spreads (Why?), you will have to take the PDF apart and reassemble in the proper order.

Comment

I did try unchecking this box but ti didn't seem to do anything. I have no idea why it was set up this way - i'm just trying to fill someone's shoes

The only way I could find to dissect the PDF was to use the 'crop' tool in Acrobat, halve the page width and save one page, rinse, and repeat for the other half. Any ideas if there is a better/quicker way?

Comment

It was saved as an Imposed file. But since I don't use Quark to print booklets (and haven't used Q in over 2 years now, not even loaded on the workstation I'm sitting at). Can you un-impose a doc?

Comment

So it was created 2-to-a-page? Yikes.

The way I'd try to approach an abomination like that would be to output the pdf so it made two of each page: 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4... etc. Then I'd crop each page in Acrobat (Document > Crop Pages) down to its proper half size so that I ended up with one of each page in the document at the proper size. Then rearrange as necessary.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Virgo, it sounds like it's in spreads.
            Can you uncheck spreads in the Layout dialog then rearrange the pages in the Page Palette?

Comment

Depending on how complex the document is, you could make a new document at the page size rather than the spread size, then drag one page at a time over to the new document...if you drag the pages onto the proper readers spread pages you'll kill two birds with one stone!
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Sounds like it was manually imposed. That's how we used to do it before imposition software became common. You'll have to do what Garricks and others said and take it apart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• kbarry
                  Reply to Projects to spruce up portfolio
                  kbarry
                  To be honest, some of it is dated. I've been in publishing for a couple of years and although I did do graphic design, there were several other things I did. Not a lot of things that are incredibly worth...
                  Today, 03:27 PM
                • Faye F. Cagle
                  Reply to Work from UK for an US company
                  Faye F. Cagle
                  I think it shouldn't be a problem since you will be working remotely. You can get the wages in USA bank account to avoid tax issues in the UK. It may depend on what visa category your are applying in...
                  Today, 02:05 PM
                • Biggs097
                  Reply to Poster for a school project
                  Biggs097
                  Bring the type together. Unify the typography. Something like this. Just an idea.
                  Today, 01:10 PM
                • seamas
                  Reply to Poster for a school project
                  seamas
                  Two out of three of the performers were brutally murdered (and hated each other).

That's NOT a fun party.
                  Today, 01:07 PM
                • seamas
                  Reply to Please critique my jazz poster
                  seamas
                  Definitely a do-over.

One problem is you have too many quotation marks. You don't need them.

Also, when listing the band members, you should not have Milou on one line, then...
                  Today, 11:21 AM
                GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X