Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find an accent...

Hi Folks

Hope somebody can assist me with this one.

I'm currently preparing some brochure designs for a client in Hungary. The brochures are in Hungarian language.

Everything seems fine, except one accent which is stripped out and replaced by something completely different when I paste the copy from SimpleText into Quark.

I'm using Quark 6.5 with UK English as default language (maybe that's the problem?).

The accent I'm trying to find is: kezdők

(two 'acute' accents on the 'o').

But what I'm getting in Quark is: kezdk

I've checked everywhere on the keyboard but can't seem to find this 'double-acute' accent ... any ideas please?

Many Thanks
    Chris

Sorry, can't help, I haven't used Quark since 5 years ago. Good luck with the job though!
    Cmate (Malaysian Writer & Designer)

Comment

Hi Cmate

Thanks for the reply.

I think Quark could be the problem

If I open the "Show Character Palette" I can find the accent I need (Double Acute Accent), but when I click on it, the 'Insert' button is grayed out in Quark, but it inserts into everything else OK (Photoshop, Word, Simple Text, etc.).

In the end I fudged it! I used a normal acute accent over the o, then put a second one over a space and used minus 40 character spacing to drag them together!

Not perfect but I was too far down the road to recreate the whole thing in Illustrator.

Thanks again
      Chris

Comment

That's the trick I use too... All the client sees is the end product. Whether at the end of the day, the thing they want is a font or not doesn't bother them as much as it bothers us. Sometimes, I need a font type i don't have and can't afford to purchase it, i get a friend who has the font to type it out and create outline to send over.. Taddaa! A trick.. and client wont have to know it.. Hehe!

nice to meet you, Chris!

Comment

Originally posted by Cmate View Post
          nice to meet you, Chris!
          Likewise!

I've just saved the document out as EPS and distilled into a PDF and the accent looks fine, so I'm sure client won't even notice.

Nice trick with the outlines for fonts you don't have!

Chris

Comment

:d

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X