Help! White border appears on pdf around pics & text

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! White border appears on pdf around pics & text

Hope someone can help me as this is driving me mad.

I export my quark file to PDF but i can see some fine white borders of pictures and text, which does not look good. You cannot see these marks on the quark document which makes me think it's my pdf printing settings. i tried both to print to Pdf and export as PDF but both with the same results.

Can anyone tell me how to remove these so when i can view my PDF with just the pictures & text i.e. no ugly watermarks?

I use quark to create jpgs and pdfs for advertising for my company and need to produce good quality, high-res images; would love any additional suggestions.

Solution is probably really simply but i am a pretty novice user.

This is often just a glitch, if you zoom into the PDF really close can you still see them?

How are you making PDF's out of Quark, export or print?
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Hi Thanks for replying.

I tried to both print to pdf and export as pdf but still the same and when i physically print it some (not all) white boxes appear and if i have applied any drop shadows it puts a very definitive box around the drop shadow instead of a blended shadow.

when i export as an eps and open in photoshop it comes out fine, problem is i have a monthly booklet to print which consists of 30-40 pages, would be very time consuming to save each one as an an eps, open in photoshop and save as pdf that way.

Thanks

Comment

It's called Stitching.

As Audi says, if you zoom in and the lines disappear you have nothing to worry about.

If the lines remain the same thickness as you zoom in you have nothing to worry about.

If they get bigger then put on your worry hat.

This is caused by Flattening in the PDF, where a transparent object is flattened.

Making this an Acrobat 5 pdf instead of 4 (1.3) will avoid this. But that will give the pdf live transparency. And some printers can't handle live transparency.

Best bet, contact your printers, send the PDF, get them to check it out and supply a proof for you, sign off on a proof supplied by the printers with no Stitching visible.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Thanks for the replies,
          i posted a reply to Audentia but i can't see it here lol

I print the booklets myself on A3 paper, and sometimes the white borders appear.
          also if i apply drop shadows, instead of a shadow appearing around the image/text box, a very definitive black box appears in place of the shadow - doesn't look well at all.

Comment

Can anyone suggest a good book / demo on Quark and how to get the best out of it.
            I will be using both Quark and photoshop to design a catalogue on my own this year where i had help last year.

thanks guys.

Comment

Ruth - what version of Quark are you running?
              And how do you make your PDFs?

Also it might be helpful to see a sample of what you are seeing...
              I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

It might be printing out incorrectly on non-postscript printers, like desktop/office printers.

If you need a drop shadow on a background or similar effect that requires some transparency, then I suggest you do it in illustrator or photoshop (whichever format it's in) and add the background colour you're using in Quark to the photoshop/illustrator file and relink your new image.

Best to have a flat image file type, without any layers, preferably a tiff from photoshop and an EPS from Illustrator.

(I am a bit out of touch with Quark, so apologies in advance if anything is incorrect)
                Last edited by hank_scorpio; 11-05-2009, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I'm using QuarkXPress 7.2 Passport, i notice the options when exporting to PDF but i'm not sure of what they mean (sorry, really novice user).

Comment

This is for Indesign, but a lot of this manual covers PDF export options

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/cs...rintguide.html
                    (click the links on the right)

And I found this on t'internet, perhaps others have a better Quark PDF guide booklet?

http://www.lamargraphics.com/lgweb/L...T-PDFQuark.asp

Comment

i have had this issue before too, in your ink manager, (or whatever its called in quark - i forget) find where it says convert all spots to process, it should fix your prob. i always had this issues whenever i was using transparancy (drop shadows) with a spot color - that's what your ugly black box is. i sometimes had the same issue with cmyk, but it was such a rare occurrence (to fix that, i manually made the colors cmyk in the swatches/color pallet). the most frustrating this is, that i was using a xerox igen to print, and since they cost about $500,000+, you would think that they could do something as simple as a drop shadow with a spot color. but our tech rep said that they cant (not sure i believe him, but either way the remedy worked). so as long as you dont have to have spot colors, you should be ok!
                      Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing.
                      - Randy K. Milholland

Comment

I don't think it's the printer that is at fault as far as printing transparency and spots. I'm sure it has something to do with the way Adobe thinks it should happen and the way they write their programming code. Like maybe they think they are doing the printers a favor by not allowing designers to use transparent spot colors? I print wide format, no plates, no seps. I don't care if you make a spot transparent but that combination drives me batty daily just getting it out of Adobe.

Comment

But you can do this

http://indesignsecrets.com/spot-colo...design-cs3.php

Comment

Did you happen to read the comments on that blog post???
                            It doesn't work that simply.

Comment

Thanks for pointing out the comments area PD, I do forget to mention that sometimes. I linked to it not only for the information in the blog post but also for the comments.

I should mention in the future about the importance of reading the comments.

It's a good trick to get the hang of though and it's easy to mess this up.

I can no longer get the discoloured boxes or transparency issues, I don't remember how to make this happen.

Anyway, good info in the blog and the comments.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X