New graduates and Quark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New graduates and Quark

I have a question, I have recently graduated and have only used Adobe Indesign and love it. I just want to know if it would be worth me learning to use the Quark software? All advice is welcome.

Depends... have you seen job ads for places you want to work that use Quark?

Most places these days are using InDesign. So probably you're fine. But look at what your local market is using. That will help you determine.

However if you want to work for a printer, or on the pre-press side you might want to learn it as you'll deal with files in all formats from all different places.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Nothing wrong with learning new software. If I didn't know Quark, I wouldn't have landed the job I'm at now. There are places like mine that still use it and have entire archives of jobs files in it.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Learn Quark if you are naturally interested in Quark or if you see a few jobs being posted in your area that have Quark skills as a requirement. They are similar so you might only need a few classes or tutorials to get accustomed to how to do things in Quark. It's a little different but the two programmes essentially do the same things.

Saying that, I would have no problem with hiring someone that was really good at Indesign for a Quark position as I believe that they would easily pick up Quark too.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Kinda like hiring an experienced Windows-only experienced designer to work on a Mac, eh?

Comment

when I started at my current job I was fluent in Indesign, but hadnt used Quark for about 6 years. I was able to pick it up within a week without much difficulty. Now, 18 months later Im comfortable using both (even though I much prefer ID).

If you know your way around ID then Quark wont be a problem for you - you should already have grounding in all the essential functions, and its just about learning the interface and keyboard shortcuts.

Comment

Used Quark exclusively when I started here (though some files were in Ragemaker we usually re-set those in Quark). Switched to Indy around CS2 and never looked back. We do have quit a few legacy files in Quark, but as time allows I re-set those in Indy. I do have a working knowledge of both though, so it probably wouldn't hurt. We do still get a few Quark files from customers that still swear by it.
              I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

my school only teaches Quark am i at a disadvantage here?

Comment

I would say yes. InDesign is pretty much the industry standard at this point. Knowing Quark will make it easier to learn Indy though. Did for me.
                  I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

When I started at my current position, I had ONLY Quark skills (I'm in prepress). I now only use ID when I am preparing a file, but still do have customers who bring in a Quark file. Quark used to be the standard, but through ego, and thinking they were the only show in town, they allowed Adobe to come out with a better product, and basically take all Quarks customers. You snooze, you lose.

Comment

If you know Quark, you'll be up to speed on InDesign in about a week. If you've never ingrained Quark into your physical being in a real world job, it might be a little like learning a new program and take a bit longer to find where things are. Not long though.

Comment

Really - it took me about a year to learn indesign after 5 years using quark in the real world.

Perhaps I'm just slow.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

I still use mainly Quark. The vast majority of our existing files are built in Quark and under pressure I can still work faster in it. I get along fine with InDesign though and have been doing new projects with it as I can.

Comment

I went straight from Quark into InDesign. No transition period whatsoever. Only person in the place that could use it to any sort of degree. And never touched Quark since.

On the other side though I had to learn Ventura as well as learn InDesign on a project. So had to learn two programs at the same time while trying to forget everything about Quark.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

I pick up software really quickly - with the exception of Photoshop. Illustrator was an intuitive breeze. Signlab was a couple of weeks with the RTFM in one hand and live files on the monitor. Learned most of Quark over a Xmas break in school and TAed the next semester. InDesign was a breeze once I got the key commands (and the nesting styles) under control. I refused to do the Quark key command conversion. I'm always constantly learning though. I don't design much anymore so mostly what I do now is figure out what you-all did so's I can make it print. And some of you-all are pretty darn...uh...creative...

Sometimes Photoshop makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a screwdriver.

I doubt a student who hasn't had much real world exposure to using Quark will have any problem with picking up InDesign. It's a little harder to unlearn something.
                              Last edited by PrintDriver; 02-04-2010, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X