Showing my hardware/software ignorance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showing my hardware/software ignorance

So my bosses are finaly going to kick me down a new machine. The guy building it wants to install Windows 7 in a 64 bit environment. We run Quark 6.5 and are not planning on upgrading any time soon. Will it run in 64 bit?
    I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

I don't think so - but can't you just install into the 32 bit folder?

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Ah tech notes : gotta love em

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions
      Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?

Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.

Device drivers designed for the 32-bit version of Windows don't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows. To learn how to check for drivers, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly or go to the device manufacturer's website. You can also get information about drivers by going to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor webpage.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Thanks. I've got it posted on the Quark boards too. I'll post what I find out.

I can upgrade for $300, but I'm afraid that might be asking a little much for as often as we use it. And on top of a new computer
        I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

As part of a technical team working towars migrating to 64bit Windows 7....Forget it! If they say they don't support it, it likely will not run. I have a few applications that are not certified for 64bit, and they do not function at all, as expected. I have more than a few that will not even install.

The Quark groups are great ones to ask, but my bet is...it will not work.
          "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
            Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
            PanToshi
            Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, 01:20 PM
          • B
            Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
            B
            Happy Thanksgiving everyone (even to those of you outside the U.S.)!

As for turkey, I worked a summer job in a Norbest butter ball turkey processing plant before college, and haven't touched...
            Today, 12:57 PM
          • Arka-Software
            Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
            Arka-Software
            There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
            Today, 12:46 PM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
            PrintDriver
            You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator...
            Today, 09:10 AM
          • KitchWitch
            Reply to New in Here
            KitchWitch
            Hi Asif_shawon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
            Today, 09:09 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X