Preview Resolution Affecting Print?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview Resolution Affecting Print?

Working on Quark 7 (on Mac OS 10.5.8). I have a catalog with grayscale tiff line drawings. Every time I was printing, some portions of the line drawings were faded out. I had tried thickening the lines, no change in the print. Exported to pdf, then printed, same thing. Tried printing to different machines, increasing the line frequency on the printers, same thing.

Out of frustration, I zoomed in on the most offending of the line drawings and set the preview resolution to full. All the lines showed up crisp and clear onscreen. Aha, so the lines ARE there! What the heck, I'm desperate, so I print with the full preview resolution on.

Now, from what I understand, changing the preview resolution only affects the resolution on screen, not anything on the print end. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what I've always understood.

The print came out crisp and clear.

WTF?!?
    Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 06-10-2010, 10:38 AM.

blog/portfolio

'Grayscale tiff line drawings' is kind of a prepress oxymoron.

People often forget that all grayscales images, no matter how high their resolution, must pass through a postscript halftone screen on the road from screen to paper. That means that black hairline that falls in between halftone cells goes 'poof' in a pico-second of mathematical translation.

The solution is easy: use (and learn to use properly) 1-bit images for line. Also know (somewhat misleadingly) in Photoshop as 'bitmap mode'. These go directly to 'GO' in the print RIP engine (well, more or less: they will map to the resolution setting of the device: ideally your image should match this).

It's faster, easy to colour (they're self masking), and will give you razor sharp lines and detail.

And most in-office proofing lasers use a much coarser halftone screen than the final offset press RIP, which explains why you can't see it in your proofs, but they come out okay in the final press run if the LPI of the halftone is high enough (try running that same art through a newspaper RIP, and you'll really see the diff).

Old-school? You bet. But quality old-school.
    Last edited by Bob; 06-10-2010, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Ahh... Bitmaps. That makes sense. Thanks for that bit of info. I may go through these images and convert them. It's only 54 pages. But it may be worth it for this catalog.

Upon doing a little more research, it seems others have had similar success with the higher preview resolution turned on, though I've yet to read if the images in question are like these. Not sure still why it affects print, but whatever.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Virgo, what Broacher suggests is the way to go from the start, however, I've had issues before with placed tiffs, not often, when printing to a printer and or creating ps for distilling for pdfs from Quark 7. What I noticed was the box "Full Resolution Tiff Output" was not checked in the print dialog box "Pictures". When checked it fixed the issue.
        WYSIWYG

Comment

<jim>

I think that was the problem. I'd been changing some of the images to bitmaps, but it wasn't helping all of them, in fact, some were coming out worse. This ought to do the trick.

Thanks so much to both of you!

blog/portfolio

Comment

Good one Jim. Back in my PageMaker days, there was a similar switch in the print dbox -- opitimzed subsampling, or something.

Comment

Spoke too soon, it actually didn't help. Changing the preview resolution seems to be the only thing that's worked so far.

Off to dig some more.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                Spoke too soon, it actually didn't help. Changing the preview resolution seems to be the only thing that's worked so far.

Off to dig some more.
                Virgo, try making a distilled pdf from one page and check to see if the graphic views ok then print the pdf to the printer.
                WYSIWYG

Comment

I'll try that in a bit and let you know. Right now just getting through the actual catalog changes. Image problems on the back burner at the moment.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher View Post
                    Good one Jim. Back in my PageMaker days, there was a similar switch in the print dbox -- opitimzed subsampling, or something.
                    That tiff feature wasn't always part of quark in its dialog box. It was either ver 6 or 6.5 it popped up in their dialog box and I don't know why they would even consider it a feature on fast computers. I can see the logic with older machines but not in todays boxes.
                    WYSIWYG

Comment

I remember having seen this in the dialog box, but I guess I assumed it was always checked by default. Figured that since this catalog is old and was started in an older version of Quark, it might have inherited the unchecked property from back when it wasn't even an option. I went to check a few newer projects (that I know were initially created in 7), and it's always unchecked. Odd.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Distilling made no difference.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I actually had to go back to the grayscale tiffs too. The bitmaps were missing pieces.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Changing the preview resolution seems to be the only thing that's worked so far.
                            That is so weird.

I wonder if the full resolution preview feature is somehow related to your current printer setup. (ie. this is how it will look on your default printer). And, so, in some buggy way, it's jogging one of the print settings.

I don't have Quark 7, but I assume the print dialog window still has a button on the bottom called "Printer..." Have you checked all the settings inside there, too?

Comment

I know, it shouldn't have anything to do with the printer. It's supposed to only affect how you view the image on the screen within Quark. At least that's what I'd always thought. *shrug*

Not sure if changing anything in the print dialog box will affect anything since the same issues occur when I export to pdf. I'm guessing the export function isn't affected by any of the settings in the print dialog box anyway, but I've been wrong about that kind of thing before.
                              Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 06-10-2010, 04:48 PM.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
                                Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
                                PanToshi
                                Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, 01:20 PM
                              • B
                                Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
                                B
                                Happy Thanksgiving everyone (even to those of you outside the U.S.)!

As for turkey, I worked a summer job in a Norbest butter ball turkey processing plant before college, and haven't touched...
                                Today, 12:57 PM
                              • Arka-Software
                                Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                                Arka-Software
                                There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
                                Today, 12:46 PM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                                PrintDriver
                                You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator...
                                Today, 09:10 AM
                              • KitchWitch
                                Reply to New in Here
                                KitchWitch
                                Hi Asif_shawon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
                                Today, 09:09 AM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X