Preview Resolution Affecting Print?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
    I know, it shouldn't have anything to do with the printer. It's supposed to only affect how you view the image on the screen within Quark. At least that's what I'd always thought. *shrug*

Not sure if changing anything in the print dialog box will affect anything since the same issues occur when I export to pdf. I'm guessing the export function isn't affected by any of the settings in the print dialog box anyway, but I've been wrong about that kind of thing before.
    Virgo, try "printing to postscript", make sure the tiff res button is checked, then use distiller to make the pdf from the ps file. Then take a look.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

That's exactly what I did. I haven't with the preview resolution on high yet, but without it it didn't make a difference.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Quark hates you.

Just kidding. Does this only happen with your greyscale tiffs? What happens if you convert them to CMYK--just to experiment.

Comment

OK. I figured it out.

Whoever designed this originally set the clipping around all of these images to 'non-white areas'. Why on earth anyone would do that is beyond me, since every one of these line drawings is on a white background on a white page. I did check to see if there were any paths embedded in the tiffs that might be affecting it, but there were none. That's why I didn't bother to check in the modify panel. The clipping was taking shortcuts around corners and making thin lines susceptible to being cut out of the image entirely.

I only figured it out because I was going to post an image of the difference between the two preview resolutions. When I imported the pdfs into photoshop, the 'empty' spots were transparent and showed the difference in how the images were clipped.

I guess the 'non-white area' is influenced by the resolution of the preview, which still makes no sense. But regardless, I figured it out. I want to punch something though for putting me through this and thinking I must be crazy.
          Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 06-10-2010, 04:33 PM.

blog/portfolio

Comment

What took you so long?
            WYSIWYG

Comment

lol... Tell me about it!

blog/portfolio

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X