Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q7: Select Objects of Same Color OR Edit Cyan Swatch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q7: Select Objects of Same Color OR Edit Cyan Swatch?

I'm working on edits for an older catalog (designed by a previous employee around 2001). The inside pages print in black and cyan only. There are hundreds of little boxes all over these pages with a 20% cyan tint.

The client has asked if we could make the cyan lighter so that it drops out when photocopied. The easy way would be change the color of the swatch, but since it's cyan, and thus one of the basic universal ink colors, Quark won't let me edit it or delete it. Even if I made a separate, lighter cyan swatch, all those boxes would be linked to the original cyan swatch.

As far as I've been able to tell, the only way I can really change these boxes is to select them individually and change the color for each. Individually. This would likely take me at least an hour, and I can guarantee that this particular client is too cheap to pay for that time.

Is there a way to edit the basic swatches in Quark for just one document? Or is there a way (like in Illustrator) to select all objects using a particular color? If it's a plugin, it would have to be free. My boss is cash poor and the client is cheap.

If there isn't that's cool too. This client is a pain in the butt anyway. I'd be happy to tell him it can't be done easily.

blog/portfolio

In Illustrator you can select by same fill color, fill and stroke, stroke, opacity, etc.

Maybe that would help.

Under the top menu: Select/same/…

The downside is if you select by same color in Illy, from what I remember it selects all items of that color, regardless of whether some are tinted or not. If that makes sense.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if there's a way to do it in Quark. If it's just a cyan plate, and they're all at 20% maybe the printer can pull the screen back on their end? Might be worth asking them about it.

Comment

LOL. I realized I had misread your question Virgo. You weren't asking how to do it in Quark or Illy, but how to do it in Quark like you can in Illustrator.

Sorry about that.

Comment

Is the document just a 2 color job?

Comment

There's also this, but it's not free: Quark Color Manager … but there is a demo.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
              Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if there's a way to do it in Quark. If it's just a cyan plate, and they're all at 20% maybe the printer can pull the screen back on their end? Might be worth asking them about it.
              This client is is the type who would like to see how it will print before it actually goes to print, so I would need a proof with the lighter cyan that he can see and test.

The inside pages are just a 2-color job, black and cyan only.

I tried find/replace, but it only finds objects at 100% tint. It ignores the ones at 20%, which are the ones I want to change.

I'll take a look at that link this afternoon Craig, thanks!

blog/portfolio

Comment

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! I think I found it!

There's a separate Find/Change under Window (XPert FindChange) that gives you many more options, including searching only for items that are a particular tint of a particular color. I have it running right now, going through those couple hundred boxes on 56 pages, so it may take a while, but I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks for the input so far guys.
                Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 07-28-2010, 12:31 PM.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Ugh, still getting the spinning rainbow. Didn't think it would take this long. I got other shit to do in Quark, so I'm gonna quit out for now and start the process again just before I leave. Should be done by morning, right?

blog/portfolio

Comment

Or melted into one giant puddle on your desk.

Comment

With this file/client, I'd be okay with that.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X