Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you link a lot of text boxes in quark easily?

I have a 600 page document that has a text box on each page for a mailing address. I have the mailing list database in word. Is there an easy way to link all 600 boxes together? Or will I have to go thru and manually link each one? Im have quark 5 and 6 on mac.

From the quark 6 help file:

To automatically link text cells in a table:

Select the Table tool and draw a table. When you release the mouse button, the Table Properties dialog box displays.
    Click Text Cells to create a table of text cells.
    Click Link Cells to automatically link text cells in the table.
    When Link Cells is checked, the Link Order pop-up menu is available. Choose from four options:
    Choosing Left to Right, Top Down links text cells starting with the leftmost cell of the top row and continuing across to the rightmost cell of the top row; that cell is then linked to the leftmost cell of the second row, and linking continues from left-to-right across the row.
    Choosing Right to left, Top Down links text cells starting with the rightmost cell of the top row and continuing across to the leftmost cell of the top row; that cell is then linked to the rightmost cell of the second row, and linking continues from right-to-left across the row.
    Choosing Top Down, Left to Right links text cells starting with the leftmost cell of the top row and continuing down to the leftmost cell of the bottom row; that cell is then linked to the second leftmost cell of the top row and linking continues from top-to-bottom down the column.
    Choosing Top Down, Right to Left links text cells starting with the rightmost cell of the top row and continuing down to the rightmost cell of the bottom row; that cell is then linked to the second rightmost cell of the top row and linking continues from top-to-bottom down the column.

Comment

You have to manually link all boxes with the linking tool..... No other way to do it as far as I know. Once all the boxes are linked and the copy pasted in, then the text should automatically flow from one to another throughout the document. If you hit the enter key on the keypad, it'll make the text jump to the next box for each address if you need to separate them.

Comment

in all actuality the easiest way to do this is use InDesign :P

Comment

Along the same lines - Textboxes - I have inserted pageses in a Quark doc. is there a way to link to sets of textboxes without resetting all of the links? The version I am working on at home is 4.1 and PC. Its a far cry from my mac and 6.0 at work, and I don't have a book or any thing to look this up any advice would be great! Thank in advance!

Comment

Well, you may have to sort of start over Sinnin. I'm assuming that pretty much all of the 600 pages are the same except for the mailing label, correct? If so, create a master page that has your standard content, then create your mailing label text box. On the master page you should see a link icon at the top left of your page. Select the linking tool and click on the link icon to your mailing label text box.

Now if you go to your first page (exit your master page) and place your word database in the box. At the end of the 1st labels info (i.e. after John Doe, 1111 Doe Drive, Anywhere, AL) hit your enter key (NOT your return key) and a new page will be created that is linked to the first, with all of your standard content with a 'new' mailing label. Once again, this will still be a little annoying because you will have to tab through your mailing label database and hit 'enter' after each label. But it may still be easier than hand linking each box and 'separating' the label text as well.

You may be able to speed up the returns though as well. If you are able to put som sort of special character at the end of each labe ln your word database easily (a character that shouldn't appear in any of your labels or in your standard content, like maybe a '=' symbol or something. Then you can use Quark's find and replace feature to find the '=' symbol and replace it with '\c' (which is the 'character' for the enter key), say change all, and voila, you're done.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

gml4u, yes, you can do that as well. Here's what you can do If you insert a page and you want to link it's boxes into your 'link chain' of other boxes.

After you insert your page (or pages), go to your last text box in the chain before the inserted pages (i.e. if you had pages 1, 2, and 3 and you inserted a page between 2 and 3, go to your last linked box on page 2.) Option click your link tool (this lets you continue to use it so that it doesn't default back to the item tool.) Then option-shift click the box you want to 'insert' into the chain on the page you just inserted and continue to option-shift click each subsequent box you want to add to your linked chain.

That should do it.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X