Quark sending text to back layer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quark sending text to back layer

I need help quick!!! I design agriculture magazines and we do the layout in Quark 7. The issue I am having is that a lot of times when I drag an image in from one Quark file to my current one, sometimes it will send text that is on that page or surrounding pages (that are out of my screen view) to the back, under other artwork. This is causing a major issue with my job because I dont always catch it before print. Although I know it is a technical issue - as a graphic designer - it falls on my shoulders.
    I really hope someone can help me with an answer or possible fix. I have never had this issue with Quark at home or at any other job and no one else in the office seems to be having this issue. We have had tech for our Macs come in to reinstall but their knowledge of Quark is limited and no fix.
    sigpic

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods - Albert Einstein

correction...running Quark 8
    sigpic

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods - Albert Einstein

Comment

It's not really good practice to drag and drop anything between documents of any program.
      Can't say I've seen the problem.

Comment

even if I copy paste... it will still do it. Grouping does not even correct the issue
        sigpic

Comment

why not 'send to back' every image you drag in?

Comment

Originally posted by DeMilo_GR View Post
            even if I copy paste... it will still do it. Grouping does not even correct the issue
            No - why would it?

Stop dragging and dropping images and/or copy and pasting images from one document to another.

It doesn't work like that. Use the menu commands to insert images, File>Get Picture

Then navigate to where the image is located and insert it that way.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

I work for a magazine publishing company (we have 4 days to design and produce each issue) - we have "use ads from" previous issues. We open a prior issue and move the ad from that doc to our current one. In 9 + years of designing and layout, this has never been an issue. Not on my Quark passport at home nor at any other job site. I would import if it was just an image that is new to the book but I am dragging copy and images from one Quark doc to another - WHICH IS STANDARD in my job. As stated before - no one else in the office has this issue when doing the exact same function.
              As for sending all images to back, they are to back. What is happening is that the text basically disappears but is still physically on top of the image. When the text "disappears" and I go to "send & bring" in the menu, it wont give me the option to bring to front because technically its is.

Note: Quark is a buggy program to begin with and I know that but the software (as well as Adobe) was designed with the drag and drop availability within the program.
              sigpic

Comment

Just to be clear - if you open this file on another computer it works fine? Or have you tried that?

Well can you let us know if using File>Get Picture actually solves the problem or are you just reluctant to try it because it's not the normal way you do things.

Normally I don't ask or say something without good reason. I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm saying what is best practice. And if the workaround of dragging between documents isn't working I would like to know if the standard conventional way of importing a picture works as expected or is it just the drag and drop from one doc to another that is fubarred.

But

Sounds like a corrupted Quark file though.

Try moving all the pages from the old quark file to a newly created one?

http://www.sketchpad.net/quarkfix.htm

Comment

Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
                  Just to be clear - if you open this file on another computer it works fine? Or have you tried that?

Well can you let us know if using File>Get Picture actually solves the problem or are you just reluctant to try it because it's not the normal way you do things.

Normally I don't ask or say something without good reason. I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm saying what is best practice. And if the workaround of dragging between documents isn't working I would like to know if the standard conventional way of importing a picture works as expected or is it just the drag and drop from one doc to another that is fubarred.

But

Sounds like a corrupted Quark file though.

Try moving all the pages from the old quark file to a newly created one?
                  I know how to do things "the proper way" but to give you some background - its a boys club in my office (staff of 4 including me- only female) and only one of them is another designer. This was their practice before I started here 2 years ago and believe me there are a lot of "hack" design methods going on that I dont agree with but the other designer is a "I know everything" brown noser and every time I try to make a suggestion and come up with a solution, I get shut down and told that wont work because of.... blah, blah, blah.

The issue is that it would tripple my time opening past editions, getting the file path to the image and importing it. Also, since there is a text overlay and the ad is to be used and look exact to the previous one that ran, there would be additional time spend laying the text out again - which in turn could make us miss print deadline and guess who's fault that would be??? And if I even try to say that the proper way is the above way, I will get shot down by mister "I know every thing" (who is 15 yrs my junior) and told that has no effect. I overheard him telling our production manager that this is not a software issue this is "MY" issue and lack of attention -

What makes matters worse, I cant switch stations or Macs. We have had tech support come in and do a reinstall of Quark but the issue still remains.

Let me also clarify that it is not me that does the the final approval on these books and they get opened by another person who prints approved pages while I am still working on the books and haven't had a chance to look the book over to do a save before he opens it - WHICH IS another thing I dont agree with....

So I guess I am basically fighting for my life and my job and am desperate for suggestions......
                  Last edited by DeMilo_GR; 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I only suggest to see if it fixes the problem? That helps to narrow down the solution.

What about that link I posted to fixing Quark Files.

Seems like a corrupt file.

Comment

I knew this was going to be a problem thread when your title read " Quark..."

This software is a nightmare... you probably have a corrupt file.

Did you try what Eugene suggested? Using the "Import Picture" option?
                      Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by The Artist View Post
                        I knew this was going to be a problem thread when your title read " Quark..."

This software is a nightmare... you probably have a corrupt file.

Did you try what Eugene suggested? Using the "Import Picture" option?

Yes it is - !!! I would love to try the link that Eugene gave but unfortunately, I do not have that authority and trying to pass any suggestions on to my "co-workers" or management is like trying to fit a basket ball into a pin hole!!! I guess in thier opinion, my 9+ years experience and $30,000.00 education is worthless... why did they even hire me if they wont listen?

...but I will try..... thanks
                        sigpic

Comment

No not the link but instead of dragging and dropping the picture from the other file, just go File>Import Picture?

Or did you already try that and I didn't read through the posts carefully enough.

If that doesn't work and you can just move stuff a round by "send to back" "bring to front" then I don't know how to help sorry :s
                          Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Get the snot nosed punk who's brown nosing the boss to do it on your computer. See if they are doing something you're not? Might turn out that it's either a problem with the file, the software or something.

But unless you try remedies and alternate workflows to track down the issue you are going to keep having the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artist View Post
                              No not the link but instead of dragging and dropping the picture from the other file, just go File>Import Picture?

Or did you already try that and I didn't read through the posts carefully enough.

If that doesn't work and you can just move stuff a round by "send to back" "bring to front" then I don't know how to help sorry :s

sorry I miss read. Yes I did explain why in a previous post ...
                              Your suggestion is what I have been doing - when I catch it. But I sometimes miss one because its not as obvious or someone has approved and sent the ad to print before I saw it...
                              sigpic

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X