Quark 7.5 won't export PDF files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quark 7.5 won't export PDF files

I have been having all kinds of lock ups and crashes lately so I downloaded an update... and now I cannot export PDF files. I get this error:

FILE > EXPORT> PDF

I get this message about half way through.
    Unable to create the "file name" file.

No other information. I tried several different output qualities, same error.

I used to have Distiller set up on the other mac, but now I don't and I don't know how to do it. Before I resort to using Distiller though, SHOULDN'T Quark just make me a flippin' PDF when I tell it to?? UGH!!!!

(thank you for reading my rant)
    The police never think it's as funny as you do.

Have you tried trashing your preferences?

blog/portfolio

Comment

I've not run into that particular error, but searching "Unable to create the "file name" file" turned up several web results. Here's one from the Quark forums where some people were able to resolve their issue.

Comment

YEP.... just trashed them again. This time it made it SO close to the end then I got the same message. Pulling my hair out here.

Comment

Set up a random laser printer like one of those posts in the link said..... no go.

Comment

Is this happening for all pdfs you try to export or just one file?

blog/portfolio

Comment

Ever since this morning when I downloaded the 7.5 update, it's been happening. I tried everything so far... quit/restart Quark, restart computer, trash prefs, install default laser printer, stand on my head......

Nothing works.

Comment

YES.... all pdfs. Not just this one. This is a simple one pager, clean images... Myriad font. Nothing spectacular. Except the design.

Comment

Update: Replaced some image files, got it to produce a pdf... YAY!

Only the pdf had a big "DEMO VERSION" banner on it. I am now reloading my entire Quark program which means I'll be back to where I was before the so called "update".
                  I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll update again for those of you following.
                  (fully aware that I could be talking to myself right now)

Comment

lol... I was gonna find this thread again and suggest posting the question within the Quark forums. I'm one of a very few here who's a Quark user, but my troubleshooting skills in that arena aren't all that stellar. You might get better answers there. Make sure to mention the version of your operating system. That may ring some bells for someone who knows of a particular conflict between that OS version and that particular Quark update.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Sound like the Quark update was fubar. I've had a little luck forcing a pdf out of Quark by exporting as an .eps and then throwing that onto distiller.

Comment

I got the pdf's to work, but before they would, I had to reimport all of my images from the original source again, even though they showed linked. If it's not images, it's fonts. I'm really growing tired of Quark's fussiness.

Thanks for all of your responses!

Comment

Quark is an evil... evil software.
                          Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

I had this problem a while back, on a couple of files. These things fixed it for me:

1. Copy all the content from one file to another of the same size. Will be a pain if you have lots of layers. The new file should be able to PDF fine.

2. On another file, I had a black box filled with text. Making this slightly less wide fixed the problem. I know, its crazy, but thats Quark for ya.

Comment

Just relinking all of my images from scratch solved the issue. Even though they showed as linked, I had to delete, replace and make sure they were linked again.

Like you said, that's Quark for ya.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X