X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quark bought by investment firm

http://www.planetquark.com/2011/08/0...atinum-equity/

Just saw this thought it was interesting.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Why does 'too little too late' come to mind.

Comment

"possibly acquiring other companies or technologies to fill in the perceived gaps in Quark’s services."

Oh that's going to be a long list...
      Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Huh... interesting. Wonder if it's die a slower or faster death now?
        I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

"He added that Quark expects operations to continue largely as they are. They’ll remain in Denver, with the same people and products as before"

mmm

Although I have to say, in the days of QPS (Quark Publishing System), I did have a 2-weeks free holiday (oops, training course!) in Denver. Very nice place, some good bars and coffee shops, the mountains are awesome and my first taste of 'Rocky Mountain Oysters'!

Oh, sorry, we were talking about Quark

Comment

There are loyal Quark users, but you ever heard of anyone jumping on the Quark ship? People have been jumping off for years. Those that are still hanging on, I wonder if this development will keep them hanging on or since the owners have jumped ship, what's to keep the loyalists?
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I had to use Quark the other day to clean up an oooooold pile of job files we had in order to do a reprint. This was Q7.5 and man I'd forgotten how freakin clunky that interface is and how small the artboard is (doing an itty bitty 30" x 60" piece at quarter scale...LOL). And I'd also forgotten that I hadn't downloaded a third party measurement palette that would have made the task ever so much easier. Seriously, whoever bought Quark has a long row to hoe before they give InD a run for its money.

Comment

[QUOTE=bulgariacalling;866632]"He added that Quark expects operations to continue largely as they are."

But really, what are they?
                I haven't had to accept a Quark 7? 8? job yet. Powerpoint, Publisher, Word, Excel, all of the above, but never Quark. I only have to use it when I open old files and my 6.5 seems to be on the job. I'd still rather it over a .ppt file though. *sigh*
                And in it's day it KICKED Pagemaker's ass

Comment

We have one customer that still uses Quark and won't use anything else, and refuses to supply PDFs. We recently had to upgrade to Quark 9 because 8 won't run on the new Macs. If they weren't such a good customer I would have told them to take it somewhere else.

But, at least Quark 9 seems to work with less issues than previous versions.
                  http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Won't supply PDFs? Why the heck not? What if you told him that you only accept PDFs?

You could supply them with a Joboptions file to use for making the PDF.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

lol.

We still use Quark. Daily. Only use ID when a client supplies an ID file to us.

But we are in such dire need of computer and software updates that my boss can't afford, that we may not be able to afford Quark 9 and may have no choice but to go InDesign since it'll be included with the Adobe suites. Our art director is like an old cat: does not like change. This could be interesting.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I had an art director like that before. He "laughed" at me for liking InDesign so much when we were designing in Quark still. He said I could convert some ads over for "x" brand only and we'll see how that went. Actually it stemmed from multiple crashes on my machine and Quark where i was rebuilding the same ad every day for 3 days until I said could I try Indy since i have to rebuild the ad (and multi-line, customer-fills-in-the-lines-and-amount coupon).

Within a year's time we were switching to Indy and he has since said how great Indesign was once the frustration of shortcuts and not finding where things are in the program. I think when i switched from PC to Mac at home i never bought Quark. anytime a freelance job came over from another designer in Quark I'd just recreate in Indesign.

we did have a Canadian printer that refused to switch to InDesign and so we'd have to supply layouts to them in Quark but not anything like that at the new job.
                        Dribbble Page
                        Behance Portfolio
                        Linkedin Profile

Comment

Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
                          Won't supply PDFs? Why the heck not? What if you told him that you only accept PDFs?

You could supply them with a Joboptions file to use for making the PDF.
                          Because he swears that printing from PDF's makes his photos look too dark.

He also will only supply photos in EPS format.

No idea why, but that's all he'll give us.

Comment

Ask him if he's noticed any dark photos...you've been saving his files as PDF and printing those for years.

then laugh when he starts boiling over.
                            Dribbble Page
                            Behance Portfolio
                            Linkedin Profile

Comment

Originally posted by BJMRGTIVR6 View Post
                              Ask him if he's noticed any dark photos...you've been saving his files as PDF and printing those for years.

then laugh when he starts boiling over.
                              Well, he's a big customer of ours (big as in 6 figures worth of business a year), and we don't have any problems out of his files, so I just let it go.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X