Mac OSX Lion and Quark 9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac OSX Lion and Quark 9

I realized how hated Quark is around here, but I need to know if anybody is aware of any issues between Quark9 and OSX Lion.

I have a super huge retail catalog that I do twice a year and have no intention of switching that to InDesign at this point. I envision all kinds of nightmares ensuing.

My employer already purchased the Quark upgrade to 9, but before I do the actual install I want to be sure it won't blow up my Lion system.

Thanks
    Andi
    The police never think it's as funny as you do.

I use Quark 9 on Lion every day. No problems that I've run into. All I do is open customer's files and output them though, so I don't do a lot of actual work in Quark.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Thank you for that. I read somewhere that Quark9 wasn't "supported" on OSX Lion. That made me take notice. I guess I'll install and hope for the best....

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by akiger View Post
        Thank you for that. I read somewhere that Quark9 wasn't "supported" on OSX Lion. That made me take notice. I guess I'll install and hope for the best....

Thanks again
        I don't know anything about whether or not it's supported. I just know that it seems to work fine for me.

Comment

The problem, really, comes into play with any "classic" style interfaces. Those type will not work, for sure. The Rosetta Stone interface has been discontinued by Apple.
          "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Any word on how Quark 7 & 8 run on it? My boss is in the process (finally!) of getting us some computer and OS upgrades, but the Quark 9 upgrade (if we get it) will be further off. We have designers running both versions of Quark at the moment, so I'm curious how that will pan out.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
              Any word on how Quark 7 & 8 run on it? My boss is in the process (finally!) of getting us some computer and OS upgrades, but the Quark 9 upgrade (if we get it) will be further off. We have designers running both versions of Quark at the moment, so I'm curious how that will pan out.
              According to Quark, 7 and 8 won't run on the new Intel Macs. That's why we had to buy 9.

Comment

Hm. Our art director has 8 running on an Intel Mac...

blog/portfolio

Comment

Unless there's an even newer Intel chipset out, 7 and 8 run fine with an Intel Mac. I'm on a first gen MacPro.

Comment

I don't know precisely which tower she's got, I just know it's an Intel chip. But interesting to know that that's what Quark says. Though perhaps they're just begging people to upgrade in order to stay afloat.

blog/portfolio

Comment

We couldn't get 8 to install on any of our Intel Macs. We called Quark and they told us that 7 or 8 wouldn't run on them and that only 9 would work, which was why we bought 4 copies of it.

I don't know if it's maybe newer ones (or the people at Quark were just lying, which is entirely possible) but all four of these Macs are less than 6 months old. 2 Mac Pros and 2 IMacs.

I tried installing it on a couple of them, but the installer wouldn't run.

Comment

::::sigh:::::
                        Well I've held off on installing 9 because I was right in the middle of a project and I feared disaster would surely strike if I were to switch mid-job. Now, I'm in the revision stages of that job and I got a warning that my Quark Preferences were damaged when I went to start up this morning. It said to trash the prefs and restart Quark. Sounds easy, but I can't FIND THEM!! I'm not new at this... but seriously... where did my Quark prefs go?

Since I'm having ongoing issues and I can't even find my preferences, I'm coming here to ask if any of you see any dire circumstances stemming from installing 9 when I'm not finished with this job I'm on.... meaning... will anything really horrible happen or will it seamlessly pick up where 7 left off? Anybody know?
                        Thanks in advance

Comment

I couldn't get 7 to run on Lion. It's installed, but quit on startup. Running 8.5 with no issues. Have you done a search online to find where the preferences may have been installed with 9?

blog/portfolio

Comment

I had to go ahead and install it. So far, so good. After I installed Lion, my Quark got very unstable. It would freeze up and quit on me when I was importing images. I never did find the preferences... I did online searches and everything. I found an empty folder, that was all. Can't throw away something that isn't there! So I bit the bullet and took the plunge. It's only been 20 minutes... so we shall see. At least my project opened up without a hitch. I'll check back with results in a day or so. Thank you!

Comment

Did you try re-installing 9?

blog/portfolio

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Craig B
                                Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                Craig B
                                I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
                                Today, 10:46 AM
                              • Colton819
                                Reply to Getting a image ready for print
                                Colton819
                                So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
                                Today, 08:47 AM
                              • leaagg
                                Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                leaagg
                                Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
                                I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
                                Today, 07:57 AM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
                                PrintDriver
                                Do people still use QR codes?
                                Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
                                Today, 07:06 AM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Comment on Getting a image ready for print
                                PrintDriver
                                Way too much sharing there, hank..........
                                Today, 06:51 AM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X