No announcement yet.

Mac OSX Lion and Quark 9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just installed 9 now... and so far it's fine. I was on a previous version before today. That's what was giving me fits with the new Lion.
    The police never think it's as funny as you do.

Comment

Aha. I thought you were saying that you were going to install 7 on the Lion machine. I assume it's better to install stuff after updating/installing the OS.

blog/portfolio

Comment

UPDATE: I absolutely am in love with this new version. It has many of the same characteristics as Indy does... and it's nice to see that. No lock ups. No crashes. It's working seamlessly with Lion and I'm getting a ton more done with far fewer headaches.

Comment

I've been using 8.5 for the last few weeks and it's been pretty smooth. Probably won't see 9 for a couple years (or 10 by that time).

blog/portfolio

Comment

Hi Cosmo,

Google Alerts brought your post to my attention, so please allow me to answer.
            Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
            According to Quark, 7 and 8 won't run on the new Intel Macs. That's why we had to buy 9.
            what Quark's TechSupport should have said is:
            "QuarkXPress 9.1 is the first version that is officially supported under Lion. Versions prior to that might run under Lion, however Quark's TechSupport will not help you make it work or resolve any issues."

Where you might run into issues of course is if you try to run versions that require PPCs as Rosetta was discontinued with Lion. QuarkXPress 7.01 was the first Universal Binary build, so e.g. v6 will not run on Lion. QuarkXPress 8.5.1 is the last version that runs on PPCs, QuarkXPress 9 is Intel-only.

Unfortunately the activation routine of v7 chokes on newer Bluetooth chipsets of Mac hardware, so you might not get QuarkXPress 7 activated if you use an activation-based Validation Code. In QuarkXPress 8 this bug was fixed, so v8 could run on any new Apple hardware even on Lion (just not officially supported, as said before, you have to upgrade to v9.1 if you need support from Quark).

I hope that clarifies this topic.

Regarding preferences, yes, they can sometimes get damaged. That's why it is always good to have a backup of your preferences, especially if you adjusted them for your own use.

Under Lion, Apple hides the Library folder, so you might not easily find the folder. Have a look here on how to quickly access this folder: http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/acces...-in-os-x-lion/

QuarkXPress 9 stores its preferences by default here: '/Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/Quark/QuarkXPress 9'.
            Delete (or better: replace with backup) everything in that folder (but not the folder itself).

Hope this helps.

Regards
            Matthias

Comment

Originally posted by mguenther View Post
              Hi Cosmo,

Google Alerts brought your post to my attention, so please allow me to answer.

what Quark's TechSupport should have said is:
              "QuarkXPress 9.1 is the first version that is officially supported under Lion. Versions prior to that might run under Lion, however Quark's TechSupport will not help you make it work or resolve any issues."

Where you might run into issues of course is if you try to run versions that require PPCs as Rosetta was discontinued with Lion. QuarkXPress 7.01 was the first Universal Binary build, so e.g. v6 will not run on Lion. QuarkXPress 8.5.1 is the last version that runs on PPCs, QuarkXPress 9 is Intel-only.

Unfortunately the activation routine of v7 chokes on newer Bluetooth chipsets of Mac hardware, so you might not get QuarkXPress 7 activated if you use an activation-based Validation Code. In QuarkXPress 8 this bug was fixed, so v8 could run on any new Apple hardware even on Lion (just not officially supported, as said before, you have to upgrade to v9.1 if you need support from Quark).

I hope that clarifies this topic.

Regarding preferences, yes, they can sometimes get damaged. That's why it is always good to have a backup of your preferences, especially if you adjusted them for your own use.

Under Lion, Apple hides the Library folder, so you might not easily find the folder. Have a look here on how to quickly access this folder: http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/acces...-in-os-x-lion/

QuarkXPress 9 stores its preferences by default here: '/Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/Quark/QuarkXPress 9'.
              Delete (or better: replace with backup) everything in that folder (but not the folder itself).

Hope this helps.

Regards
              Matthias
              According to the person I spoke to at Quark, version 9 is the only version that would run on the new Macs. I see now that they told me wrong information, which is yet another reason I have a growing hatred for Quark.
              http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Hi Cosmo,

that's obviously not nice to hear and I hope you will change your opinion, as Quark has changed over the past years.

When you talk to support staff, from an official point of view "not supported" means "I cannot help you make it run", so a lot of people see "not supported" and "not run" as the same thing. Also, many organizations want to only use "supported" platforms, so the same thing here, "unsupported" combinations often translate to "not feasible" or "not possible".

My intention was to give you the background of the technology involved, so that you can make an educated decision of what combination you will test to see whether it will support your workflows. Still, if you run "unsupported" combinations and it doesn't run, you either need to resolve it yourself or with the help of the community and can't turn to the vendor for workarounds or future fixes if needed.

I see many posts (e.g. Apple Discussions) where users got QuarkXPress 8 working just fine on Lion and others did not.

And I don't think that is different for other companies. I myself have used many applications in unusual combinations and made these very productive. However, if something got stuck, I also had to fix that myself.

So, if you have any other questions or concerns, I'd be happy to enter the dialog. Please post here again or send me an email.

Thank you
                Matthias

Comment

Originally posted by mguenther View Post
                  Hi Cosmo,

that's obviously not nice to hear and I hope you will change your opinion, as Quark has changed over the past years.

When you talk to support staff, from an official point of view "not supported" means "I cannot help you make it run", so a lot of people see "not supported" and "not run" as the same thing. Also, many organizations want to only use "supported" platforms, so the same thing here, "unsupported" combinations often translate to "not feasible" or "not possible".

My intention was to give you the background of the technology involved, so that you can make an educated decision of what combination you will test to see whether it will support your workflows. Still, if you run "unsupported" combinations and it doesn't run, you either need to resolve it yourself or with the help of the community and can't turn to the vendor for workarounds or future fixes if needed.

I see many posts (e.g. Apple Discussions) where users got QuarkXPress 8 working just fine on Lion and others did not.

And I don't think that is different for other companies. I myself have used many applications in unusual combinations and made these very productive. However, if something got stuck, I also had to fix that myself.

So, if you have any other questions or concerns, I'd be happy to enter the dialog. Please post here again or send me an email.

Thank you
                  Matthias
                  I was never told it was "not supported". I was told it "would not run". Nobody ever mentioned support. And I was not using Lion at the time. This was before Lion came out.
                  http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Came back today to give an update.... My Quark 9 got VERY unstable when importing pictures. It got to the point where I could import one image, then it would lock up and I had to do a force quit. I had to have a software guru help me out over the phone and he sent me a link for 9.1. All issues are now fixed. Even he didn't recommend using the new Quark with OSX Lion, but the damage was done and we were lucky that the little upgrade to ".1" helped that image import problem. It's golden now. Just letting you all know.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X